• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 2 questions on diff front pinion seal replace-TR3A

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am replacing the front differential pinion shaft oil seal on my TR3A. I have two questions I hope someone can help me with:
1) How do I go about removing the old seal?

(I don't have a puller that will fit inside the seal to pull it out.)

2) I have put a Speedi-sleeve over the pinion driving flange. Can I leave the flange piece on the Speedi-sleeve that is used to drive the Speedi-sleeve on?, or should I remove the Speedi-sleeve flange?

Thanks for the help!
Regards,
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I initially bought a seal puller from HF
image_17503.jpg

but it broke immediately so I wound up just prying it out with a screwdriver. You have to be a bit careful not to gouge the bore in the housing, but it will work.

I've left the Speedi-sleeve flange in place, doesn't seem to hurt anything at all as long as the seal isn't riding on the break line between the flange and body of the sleeve.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I used that Harbor Freight seal puller to good advantage (as the Brits say) -- have used it 3 times in fact (2 TRs & a Healey).

But I am not as strong as Randall so I didn't break it.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
If you have a Harbor Freight handy, I suggest buying this puller from them. It worked great for pulling the pinion seal on my TR4. Just enough room to snag the lip of the seal, and a couple of hammer raps and it was off.
image_15011.jpg

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the good ideas on pullers for the seal! Randall, from what I can tell the break line of the Speedi-sleeve is inside the outer sealing ring and outside the inner sealing ring. The inner sealing ring appears to be the one that actually does the sealing. I'll double check tomorrow to see if I can more definitely tell where the break line is in relation to the seal.
Regards,
Bob

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Bob
If you are careful, you can simply drill a small hole on each side of the metal seal casing and thread a sheet metal screw into the casing. Then, pull on the screws and out comes the seal. It worked for me and saved me a trip to HF.

Pack some grease around the seal before you drill so you don't get shavings inside the diff.

Also, I did remove the flange on the Speedi-sleeve on my diff pinion shaft. I believe the flange is made to separate from the sleeve.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I forgot that I had a seal removal tool stashed away like the one that Randall posted a picture. So I sorta used that. It would not pull the seal out and completely bent the tool out of shape. However, with that tool I was able to bend the seal enough to pry it out with screwdrivers, but what a job it was getting it out! The new seal went in good. I used several real large washers (same size as seal) and used the nut to push the washers and the seal went in easy and real straight. And no leak this morning!!!
Regards,
Bob

TR4eh

Just finished this job on my TR4A. The original leather seal was still on the diff and it wouldn't move when using the seal puller. Its quite a bit thicker than the replacement modern seal. I drilled 3/16" holes on opposite sides and threaded sheet metal screws through a steering wheel puller and out the seal came, easy peasy. I started the new seal using an old lay gear, then drove it the rest of the way with the pinion flange and a rubber faced mallet. I left the flange on the Speedi-sleeve.