• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire 1500 Spitfire Pureist beware

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I've seen that one before, it's nice but it is still a Spitfire.

I am not sure now is the time to be expecting people to come running waving 100 dollar bills for an overboard project.

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Good point re: the market.
I think the "pimped out" wheels make it look like a Matchbox car. In my neck of the woods it's popular, though usually with late 70's early 80's domestics, Impala's, Olds Cutlass and the like. I've heard there called DONKS.

Though my Spit is largely original, I'm always amused and somewhat attracted to cars with someones personal stamp on them.

roofman

Jedi Knight
The wheels are too big.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
For computer challenged
SPIT

Are those Miata or MR2 seats?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DNK said:
Are those Miata or MR2 seats?

They look like Miata seats. If they are, they were definetly re-upholstered, as Miata seats never came in that pattern. :sick:

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Was wondering as well, I'm sure such wheels would make the handeling rather uh... entertaining.
Also would undue stress on suspension components also arise?

Eric

Jedi Warrior
Yes, those are Miata seats from the second generation cars (99 - 2005). There are lots of reupholstery suppliers for those cars (one of the advantages of a popular car like the Miata is the <span style="text-decoration: underline">huge</span> aftermarket)

Does a 1500 Spit make enough torque to turn those Conestoga wagon wheels?

dklawson

Yoda
That car has been on eBay at least 3 times and it looks to be the same seller. I felt sick the first time I saw it, I'm still not feeling well. However, to each his own.

Big Wheels = Donk? That's a shame. I've always heard people from OZ and NZ refer to an engine as a donk. In the original Crocodile Dundee movie there was a big, strong hulk of a character called Donk.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Dudly said:
Was wondering as well, I'm sure such wheels would make the handeling rather uh... entertaining.
Also would undue stress on suspension components also arise?
Not to mention possible increase in unsprung weight, even though they're alloy wheels, just because they're so huge?

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
I just did a search for Donk in Google. Plenty of interesting images there.
Apparently there is also a magazine Rides-mag.com. (though theres a magazine for everything)

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I always thought those narrow sidewall tires would screw up the handling. Becuase the relativly soft squishy tire is the first shock absorber. The shocks would have to be those progressive soft at first then get stiff type to compensate.

There was a fella here at work who's son had those type tires on his BMW station wagon, he got tired of replacing them as the sidewalls blew out.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
dklawson said:
= Donk? That's a shame. I've always heard people from OZ and NZ refer to an engine as a donk. In the original Crocodile Dundee movie there was a big, strong hulk of a character called Donk.

First time I saw that I thought they were talking about me
grin.gif

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Ah well, to each his own I guess. I reckon the creator of this car would find my spit a bit boring. No bling, all patina.

Cyberpyr8

That's not a bad price for that car. I don't like the wheels either, but the interior looks great. All of that work, he should have shaved the bumpers off.

How do you guys find this stuff on eBay? I am looking for decent 78-79 motors at $500 or less and I can't find much. I even look for cars and never find the ones that get found on here! I need you guys to find one for me!! :smile:

Steve

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I agree about the wheels... and the reasonably price... I was considering 15" wheels for my Spit6 but have sicne decided to stay with 13's.

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
Cyberpyr8 said:
How do you guys find this stuff on eBay? I am looking for decent 78-79 motors at $500 or less and I can't find much. I even look for cars and never find the ones that get found on here! I need you guys to find one for me!! :smile:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180317347547&viewitem=

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110105553184&viewitem=

I used...
https://www.triumphauctionwatch.com/aucti...amp;country=USA

and entered "ENGINE" in the search field.

Cyberpyr8

I did see those engines. The one is pickup only and north of Atlanta. The search goes on...

Thanks for the Triumph Auction link though! That will make it easier to find one.