• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100-4 engine hardware

JRued

Freshman Member
Specifically, looking for advice on rod bolts. Different advisors, different advice.

Option 1: Reuse existing rod bolts.

Option 2: Buy new from Moss/Victoria British

Option 3: Use 'close to" ARP bolts and machine the rods to fit.

What do you all think?

THX

John

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
My connecting rods are different, but I went to ARP and they had bolts that fit with no mods to the rods. Maybe call them directly.

Country flag
How is the engine going to be used?

If you're maintaining a stock state of tune, I wouldn't be concerned in the least about reusing good original bolts (check them for visbible damage though).

I would suggest getting new Nyloc type locknuts though.

For decades, we rebuilt Healey engines with the best used parts we could get our hands on, it's only the last couple dozen years that so much reproduction items have been available.

As for the repop rod bolts, I think I'd rather take a chance on the originals, than something that may've come from somewhere in China.

I've used the ARP hardware in plenty of BMW engines, it they definitely produce quality stuff, at a premium price.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Specifically, looking for advice on rod bolts. Different advisors, different advice.

Option 1: Reuse existing rod bolts. :nonono: Never in your sweet life. Buy new or use uprated hardware.--Fwiw--Keoke

Country flag
Keoke said:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Option 1: Reuse existing rod bolts. :nonono: Never in your sweet life. </span>Buy new or use uprated hardware.--Fwiw--Keoke
I've got well over one hundred (>100) engine builds under my belt, the largest percentages being MGB, Big Healey & Spridget, and I have never-ever purchased a rod bolt. I've never had one let go either.

The BMW factory TIS stipulates that rod bolts on the S-54 (00-08 M3 engine) are not to be replaced, and that the same bolt be put back in the same hole it was removed from.

I'm thinking that BMW knows a thing or two about building engines__they started with aero engines over ninety (>90) years ago, waaay before they started building cars.

More opinions cancelling each other out; the OP may have to resort to his own intuition for this one. LOL!

musme

I used to buy rod bolts every time I rebuilted or even checked the bearings on my MG TD engine. On the rebuilt on my AH 100/4 engine I bought the bolts from Moss (over US200) and I found out that the original bolts are strong enough to be reused . I retorqued several times and they worked fine. You have to check that the threats are perfect and they are NOT like a spaguetti....

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've got well over one hundred (>100) engine builds under my belt, the largest percentages being MGB, Big Healey & Spridget, and I have never-ever purchased a rod bolt. I've never had one let go either.

:savewave:

There is a first tme to every thing.---Keoke-- :wink:

D

Deleted member 8987

And, using "new" bolts, might be a second and third.
Remember the First Rule of Automotive Repair, which states:
Just because it's a new part doesn't mean it's a good part.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
ARP is a pretty safe bet for quality parts. They are designed for stresses beyond what most Healeys will be put through. As a side note, when I showed my rod bolt to the guy at ARP, he knew it was from a Healey engine before I told him.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
when I showed my rod bolt to the guy at ARP, he knew it was from a Healey engine before I told him.

Yep!! Greg, he probably sensed the last guy that tightened it Ether didn't own a torque wrench or did not know how to use one.--Keoke--- :laugh:

keoke, these cars have been around for lots of years now and there is no telling how many times the bolts have been reused in order to save a few bucks, perhaps if it were an engine for my grocery getter or a bmw id reuse some hardware but not on a healey that didnt have rebuild records, plus i hate pullin them engines out, it will cost alot more to do that then buy some new replacement bits.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Keoke said:
the last guy that tightened it Ether didn't own a torque wrench or did not know how to use one.--Keoke--- :laugh:
Hey buster, that'd be my dad yer talkin' about! :laugh:

I did have a good time razzing the old man about putting the clutch disk in backwards. That wound up rubbing half the heads off the flywheel bolts. :blush:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep 7777's, remind me what the old folks use to say "Don't be penny wise and Pound foolish"---Took me a few mistakes to figure out what they was talkin bout. :smile:

Greg, I did that once too, and you what else it did it made the prettiest flat sided clutch disk springs you ever saw.

Keoke----- :driving:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Roger Menadue, Donald Healey's chief experimental (racing) engineer prided himself on never using a torque wrench. C'mon John, man up and reuse those quality British supplied bolts and tighten them by feel, and stop wasting time on these online forums and get back to work on the club newsletter. :nonono:

Greg

OP
J

JRued

Freshman Member
OK, no consensus. Best qualitative decision based on numerous sources...reuse the bolts, new nuts.

BTW: Nuts from Victoria British are sourced to Austin Healey Spares. Don't order any, though. I bought the last ones.

Thanks, all.

And, thanks, Greg.

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'd worry about the rods more than the bolts. I just magged mine and one is cracked. I will reuse the bolts after I mag them also. I will use Denis Welch or ARP nuts. Bolts stay tight buy stretch. Use a stretch gage and watch for .004 to .006 bolt stretch and they will run forever. Put the torque wrench away, you have no idea if you have any stretch with one. You are only reading friction between the nut and the rod.

Country flag
Superwrench said:
I'd worry about the rods more than the bolts. I just magged mine and one is cracked. I will reuse the bolts after I mag them also. I will use Denis Welch or ARP nuts. Bolts stay tight buy stretch. Use a stretch gage and watch for .004 to .006 bolt stretch and they will run forever. Put the torque wrench away, you have no idea if you have any stretch with one. You are only reading friction between the nut and the rod.
I concur.

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Buy the best new stuff and forgetaboutit; or reuse the bolts with new nuts and tell everyone you got new stuff so you won't have to feel bad.....