• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Member Articles

This is a repository of Articles, both technical and anecdotal (just for fun). Any member can submit an article but all articles are moderated. The admin of BCF reserves to right to edit content (usually just for spelling/grammar) and has final decision whether to publish or not.

I'm replacing the axle ujoints on my 74 TR6 and after pushing the ujoint from one side all the way, the pushed side u joint is not clear of axle and the other side is sticking out about 1/2" and doesn't want to come out with pliers. I was thinking of cutting the center of the joint to get it out. Anybody else run into this problem and come up with a fix?
I sort of figured this article would be relevant for this group, even thought he specific car I am working on is an Alfa Romeo. I hope this helps explain how we can do something about those scratches and sand pits that mar our windows. Polishing out window scratches. Our Alfa Romeo Montreal came to us with quite evidence of having been driven to the beach. Often. Lots of sand in various...
Lucas DR3A Two-Speed Wiper-motors Submitted by: ( @allanjohnturner ) The Lucas two-speed variant of the DR3A wiper-motor, as found on Triumph TR4A and other vehicles from the same era, seem to create problems when people try to wire them up. Often this happens when someone tries to use one to upgrade from a single-speed variant. There are a number of things about these motors that are...
Our '60 Bugeye is now amongst the living - and driving!!! As part of the fixing up of the mistakes made in the previous restoration, we installed a T9 5-speed in our bug. Combine that with a Triumph 2/3/4 rear end and, surprise, the speedometer is anything but accurate. OK, I need to pull it and see if I can "adjust" it to read closer to reality, but for now it seems to be off a consistent 10...
The purpose of this article is to introduce the concept of a man-cave and highlight the benefits of having one. I will throw out some ideas on how to get one started and also talk about my own experience. A man-cave, by definition, is an area that is set apart for the man of the house. Whether the man-cave is inside or outside of a house, it is nevertheless an exclusive space, separate from...
You’ve just discovered there’s water seeping out the top of a head stud & to make life worse the stud has come apart from the base thread, so what are the options – remove the head & tap a thread into the top deck of the block, not the best option – expensive & time consuming, next option is to access the remaining thread via a welsh plug ( freeze plug) you could try & grind flat to drill and...
I suppose the only thing more certain in this world than Brits loving warm beer (because they have Lucas refrigerators) is that British cars leak oil. As proven by our Bugeye. We bought it with a freshly restored engine. The restorer didn’t think it needed one of those fancy-dancy new rear main oil seals. It didn’t leak: It poured. The restorer even talked up the idea of mounting a catch...
Our bugeye came to us with a Weber 40 DCOE. Never owned a car with Weber’s before, but hey? It started with no choke and ran. What more could one ask? OK – it ran. But it hesitated a bit when I floored it, and what’s up with the starting without needing the choke. And if you do use the choke – wow. Instaflood – and let it sit for a while and try again. And let it sit for a while…. Our bug...
See the attached file for a more comprehensive procedure for rebuilding the Lucas horn as used on the Austin Healey and Jaguar XK120
Over the years I have restored a number of cars, many of them with Lucas wiper systems. Funny, really, even our Pantera uses a Lucas system. In the past I had not noticed that there should be a seal around the wiper arm shaft - just below the knurled knob where the wiper arm clamps (wedges) on. This morning I was cleaning the accumulated grease and gunk from yet another wiper arm mechanim...
“Winnie” my personal Arkley SS based on a 1971 MG Midget This is Winnie, a 1971 Arkley MG Midget with a John Britten designed front and rear. Only 900 to a 1000 of these kits were sold originally, and very few ended up in the United States. Besides the custom body work other upgrades include: The 1275cc MG engine was rebuilt and a street cam added; Electronic ignition; Weber 32/36 carb with...
Submitted by Al Bradley ( @bradal ) Behind the Smile ANOTHER TRUE SPORTS CAR STORY By now some of you will have heard this, so please bear with me. It’s a good story. This story happened when the USAF sent me to Biloxi, Mississippi for further training to be akiller. First of all, I had the responsibility of finding my way from Abingdon, Virginia to Biloxi. Thatwas no mean feat in those...
The Austin Healey Sprite Chronicles Introduction Welcome to the Austin Healey Sprite Chronicles. My name is Jack and I am here with Bertie to share my love of the Sprite. (I have since sold Bertie, but don’t despair, I replaced him with a 1971 Arkley MG Midget). I don’t consider myself an expert or the final authority on any of the information I am going to share. These are impressions...
My First Jaguar in High School by Basil I have always loved British sports cars, especially Jaguars. I learned to drive backin 1966 in Bridgeport West Virginia in a 1960 Jag XK150 that belonged to a friend of the family (I was 12 years old)! Ever since then I longed to own a Jag of my own. One day, while driving down Hampton Bldv in Aurora, CO, I spotted a tan colored Jaguar XKE Coupe sitting...
Submitted by @DrEntropy It has always confounded me: the manner in which a major portion of the US public perceive our cars. For the most part it has been my experience that they think of the cars as “toys” or “cute” and “flimsy”. “Unreliable” comes in there too. A personal case in point: In another life I worked as a photographer for a studio in western Pennsylvania. The owner (I'll call...
Submitted by James Tworow ( @Sherlock ) I've always admired Colin Chapman, founder of the Lotus car company. He wasone of many people starting small British sports car manufacturers in the 1950s and1960s, companies who realized that not all aspiring sports car owners could afford thefuel bills associated with many cars of the period. They used small engines from avariety of sources and...
Dear Classic Car Friends, My name is Lukas, I am 24 years old and I come from Munich. Classic cars have been inspiring me ever since I put my feet on the pedals. I have decided to turn my hobby into a job. I am currently on this path: I have been doing a research master’s degree at Stellenbosch University SA for a year. My topic is the use of 3D printing to produce spare parts for classic...
In Personal Pursuit of Happiness by DrEntropy As a young person, my interest in all things mechanical was only overshadowed by a fascination with the photographic image. The ability to “steal a moment in time” with a camera. It started with my paternal grandfather’s photos of his various trips around the continent, taken with a 35mm Baldina camera and Kodachrome. The man had an “eye,” likely...
Submitted by @healeygal - Sharon Tanihara Twenty-six years ago, right after I first got my Healey Hundred, I attended the WestCoast Meet in Eureka, California and had my picture taken with Donald Healey. At the time, Ifigured that experience would last me a lifetime and was content to spend the next couple ofdecades using the car around town or venturing out on short jaunts up and down the...
A Tale of Transmissive Tutelage Submitted by @DrEntropy This story takes place a few decades back, when we could find MG’s largely un-rusted and for affordable amounts of money. To be accurate it was late in 1972. As a Sergeant in the US Air Force and married to my college heart-throb for a few years, we were living a life we considered Spartan but comfortable for a couple in their early...
This article is written to help identify the connections originating at the two-speed windscreen wiper switch where the colour-coded fabric of the wiring loom has faded beyond all possible identification. The motor is a DR-3, two-speed unit. The switch is a seven terminal,three position (off, low speed, high speed) piece: At the side of the switch are numbers stamped into the metal...
Submitted by @Basil I have always loved British sports cars, especially Jaguars. I learned to drive backin 1966 in Bridgeport West Virginia in a 1960 Jag XK150 that belonged to a friend of the family (I was 12 years old)! Ever since then I longed to own a Jag of my own. One day, while driving down Hampton Bldv in Aurora, CO, I spotted a tan colored Jaguar XKE Coupe sitting at a service...
Submitted by James Tworow ( @Sherlock ) The Austin-Healey roadster, whether you pick the 100/4, 100/6, 3000 or Sprite, is a well-loved and legendary sports car. When the 100/4 roadster was launched back in late 1953 it took the sports car world by storm. But what many don't know is that Donald Healey had been building cars for a number of years before that. Healey picked up some experience...
Submitted by ByJohn Simpson ( @brother john ) My love affair with British cars began in 1953 when I was thirteen years old. One of the young men back from the Korean War had a 52 MGTD in his driveway, and that did it. It was lithe, lively, low, and sexy. I think it was that TD, and not the local girls,that first got my hormones churning. As priorities at my house were education, education...
Submitted by @Greasy Thumb This is of course true and happened in about 1987 in Sunnyvale, CA. One daywhile at lunch I noted in the San Jose Merks' classifieds, an advertisememt for an ACBuckland, --Buckland?? Must be a Brooklands. Never heard of Buckland. I called andit was at a scrappers in nearby Los Gatos. After work I rushed over, and sure enough itWAS a 1953 Buckland, a Rare car (one of...