• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Additive Manufacturing for the Spare Part Supply Chain of Classic Cars – An exploratory Literature Review

A prefix for general technical articles that might apply to multiple marques (e.g., adjusting SU carburetors)
Dear Classic Car Friends,

My name is Lukas, I am 24 years old and I come from Munich. Classic cars have been inspiring me ever since I put my feet on the pedals. I have decided to turn my hobby into a job. I am currently on this path:

I have been doing a research master’s degree at Stellenbosch University SA for a year. My topic is the use of 3D printing to produce spare parts for classic cars. The aim of my research is to develop a method to identify spare parts best suitable for 3D printing. In addition to the usual factors such as size, material, and function, up to 10 other spare part attributes are analysed in this method.
To identify the spare part attributes and to estimate the potential improvement of utilising 3D printing an Exploratory Literature was conducted. Attached you will find this Literature Review which consists of the following chapter:
  • Classic Car Market
  • Spare Part Management in the Automotive Industry
  • Additive Manufacturing of Spare Parts
Also, an outlook of my future work is provided which will include the design of the ranking method for spare parts according to their potential for Additive Manufacturing.

Regards,

Lukas

Attachments

• Conference-Paper-Lukas-Paskert.pdf
    376.1 KB · Views: 102

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great plan. Additive manufacture is an ideal method for parts for "classic" cars. A "Just in Time" process and good business model, where market demand dictates inventory would be desirable.

Good luck!