• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How Many Big Healey Guys are Spridget Guys?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My first car in high school in 1967 was a 1959 Bugeye and frankly, the Bugeye is still my first love. So much so, that I bought another Bugeye in 1977 and did a full restoration when that was a pretty unusual thing. Of course, I always wanted a big Healey and bought a BJ7 in 1985. There are a lot of us that own a Sprite and a big Healey. So speak up. Which did you own first? Why did you buy the other? And ... which is your favorite? For me, the Bugeye will outhandle the big Healey any day of the week. It's just great fun to autocross or tear around a country road. On the other hand, the BJ7 is a better cruiser and with the V8 will leave the Bugeye in the rear view mirror. So I can't chose. I need the Bugeye and the Nasty Boy to make the Healey experience whole. What would your choice be?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My first LBC was a '67 Sprite while in college. I loved that car, it introduced me to a whole new world....I have to say, it was one of the biggest factors in shaping my future obsession with vintage cars, specifically the Austin Healey. I still have a bugeye on my wish list ....

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
First car in high school was a Bugeye Sprite.
My friends all had big Healeys, Triumphs and MGs. I felt so inadequate with my meager 950ccs.
The Bugeye was a blast to drive and an absolute rocket compared to my next car, which was a Morris Minor.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had two mates who owned sports cars, one had an MG TC and the other, a Sprite MkI. I had to get something faster so I got an Austin-Healey 100. I bought a Sprite in the seventies while the 100 was off the road for a rebuild, then sold it in '78.
Not long after we married, my wife was after a car to replace her clapped out mini-van. She bought my sister-in-laws' Sprite MkI as a daily driver. We are now restoring that car after 30 years of ownership. IMG_4438.jpg

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
My first car was a 64 MGB , kinda rusty underneath so I sold it to buy a bugeyed Sprite that was in really good sound condition . Drove it while still in high school . 45 mpg. I outgrew it quickly but have a lot of fond memories like the time the cops stopped me one night cause it looked like the four of us were having a party inside while driving down the road , which we were. I always knew I'd have a big Healey . I only have a faint longing to care for ( torture myself with) another bugeye.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
DSCN0792.jpgMy first Healey was a bug eye I sold over 30 years ago..was actually in the healey Mag couple months ago. STill owned by the same couple I sold it to who now reside in Key West....Over the years I was always known as the guy with the best 3000 and Bugeye in the midwest.

Some how the bugeye got replaced by an E-type over the years.....

Pete

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It was probably 1975 or so and I had to walk past a rather forlorn one sitting outside a house in Bedford, UK everyday on the way to school. I fell in love with that little car. I have never owned one, but one day will, but for now I need to get the 100 back where it belongs, on the road.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have had three square rigged Sprites including my first two cars, then got a 100 later on after an MGB and TR4A, and then another Sprite I had for a short time. I really like Sprites, but, although no taller than I was in college, and not a lot wider, I am a lot less flexible and agile, so it was a bit of a chore getting in and out 15 years ago, and I am sure no easier today (but easier than my 100 with the top up). I have a very fond place in my memory for Sprites, but don't know if I would buy another, but I am probably even more certain I won't have another big Healey, not that I don't really like either car, but I want to broaden my car experience (own and work on different cars if that wasn't clear enough, and realistically my stable of hobby cars will probably never be more than one or two cars.

I am probably a bit of an oddball in the Sprite world, I like bugeyes, but I think the best cars are the late 60s box Sprite with the 1275, but before the smog and safety stuff.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought my '65 Sprite in the early 80's while I was in grad school, because it was the only thing I could afford. Actually, I bought a '66 that was wrecked beyond repair in the back, and '65 that needed two front fenders. I still have most parts from the '66, and many will be used in the bugeye I'm just starting to restore.

I always wanted a big Healey though, and when I finally had the time and money, I restored my '62 BT7. I still like to drive the Sprite, but my wife drives it more the me these days.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I currently own 2 Sprites and will pull the trigger on a big Healey when I find the right car (or it finds me??). My father got me into LBCs (AHs & MGs) at a young age - I came home from hospital in a MGB-GT; attended my first AHCA Conclave at age 5. He has since sold his BJ8 but lives vicariously through my Sprites...

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Bought my Bugeye in 1967 and drove it through my high school and college years. Got married, parked it for a VW bug to haul the wife and kids. Always wanted the Big Healey but could never quite afford one. Then in 2004, dragged the Bugeye out of storage and did a full restoration including 1275 and disc brake, and a Rivergate 5-speed upgrade. Had so much fun doing that that I found a BJ7 basket case and am now in the later stages of a full restoration on that. Hope to have it on the road in the next year or so. Griz

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have owned 6 Sprites. 5 were Bugeyes. I modified and auto-crossed two of them. I acquired the first one (square body) in 1969 at the age of 14 and sold the last one in 2003. I still think about getting another. You never get them out of your system. You don't drive a Bugeye Sprite. You put it on and wear it around. It's like Iron Man's suit without all the features.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just ran across this thread - dang all, I sure enjoyed the Ironman reference.
In the mid-60s, my Dad was in the Royal Canadian Air Force and one of the young airmen on the base had crunched his BE and stored it on our driveway for a while (it had to be a runner to be on the base). Then in 1972 I bought a BE that needed 'just a little bit of finishing' from a guy who thought restoring meant using a hammer to install the bolts - it was supposed to be for the girlfriend (she stuck with me; we're still married!). Bought a second one after realizing what a project the first one was going to be, as I'd talked to this fellow a few times and knew his ran. It wouldn't make it up the hill to home as it had a couple of burnt exhaust valves. Sigh. It was our only car for a few years (including winters in Calgary).
I got overly optimistic again in the 70s and bought a 3000 project, but got rid of it not too much later.
In the early 80s, bought a 62 BJ7 from a buddy who'd taken it apart. Again, paid some chaps to put the body etc. back on and paint it, but never had the time nor money to complete it (yeah, I'm better at planning than executing). We've had it on the road a couple of times over the years, but the VISA card just took care of a two year restoration of the BJ7, and its pretty wonderful.
We sold the running BE to a buddy back in the 80s for a dollar (we would buy it back from him later) so he could have a sports car and he had a neighbour who was a body man; when he bought a Morgan, we got the original yellow BE back.
The 'first' BE has never been on the road (it supplied parts to keep the Yellow one going), but a high school did paint and body a few years back and it's maybe a month away from being completed (1275, weber, LCB, discs, 5 speed). The Yellow one has been having a hard time the last couple of years, but we put the engine/tranny back in with one of Gerard's clutch kits a week back and it's maybe two weeks from being completed.
Touch wood, there'll be a near perfect BJ7 going into storage this winter accompanied by one near perfect (and running!) Silver BE and our Yellow BE as well.
Alongside the pigs, all fed, watered, and ready to fly. Doug

catfood

Jedi Knight
I got a frogeye in 1990. Traded it against my 100 around twenty years ago. Would love to have the frog back as well. I saw it advertised a couple of years ago, fully restored and upgraded with a 1275 and disks. I contacted the dealer who said they were preping it for sale and would contact me when they had finalised the price. Never heard anything other than seeing labelled as sold on their website. I've seen it as sold again recently but its in Northern Ireland now.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Since "Spridget" includes the MG Midget I'll chime in. I already owned my BJ8 in 1987 when my wife was having her hair done and her hairdresser asked if I could come get her '73 Midget running. I went over and had a look at it, and it was sad. The top was up, but was ragged and full of holes and the floors were full of water, as well as the seats. The bonnet was lying crosswise across the front fenders. The tires were flat. Paint was cracked and chalked. And on and on. After draining the water (surprise! The floors were perfect, thanks to the tarpaper covering) repairing the alternator, installing a battery, and rebuilding the hydraulics I got it running. Over a couple months I was able to get the car driveable and found the front suspension was shot. After all that, she asked if I would be interested in buying it. I guess she caught me at a vulnerable moment, so I did buy it and still have it. It has been a great little car, taking me on long trips from North Carolina to Watkins Glen (twice), to New York City once, and 60K miles so far. When I got in touch with the original owner in 1990, he sent me the original driver's handbook, warranty booklet, window sticker, and 1973 NC license plate (which is on the car now). He had sold the car in 1976, so still having that stuff is amazing.
I almost lost the Midget a year ago to an engine bay fire. Fortunately, I had two fire extinguishers handy so the damage was mostly to the paint (the photos show it after a total repaint).

I treasure both cars, but I have to say that the BJ8 is my first love.

Attachments

• IMG_2979 - 1.jpg
    IMG_2979 - 1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2980 - 1.jpg
    IMG_2980 - 1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2983 - 1.jpg
    IMG_2983 - 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2986 - 1.jpg
    IMG_2986 - 1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 89

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dang Steve! That's nice - looks like a lot of man-hours and 'kissing your sister' love has gone into it. Doug

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Since I responded to this a couple of years ago, the 100 is now very close to completion and will be back on the road. Meanwhile back in the UK my Dad has purchased a rather nice 1958 Frog.

Engine1.jpg
exterior4.jpg
exterior5.jpg
exterior8.jpg
IMG_1495.JPG
interior6.jpg

Country flag
Wow Steve, that's gorgeous; I'm a sucker for Damask Red! Has your wife's hairdresser seen it since you got it looking like this?

attachment.php

Between the years 1986/87 and 1998/99, I had been given__as in "please come take these out of my yard" given__three (3) different Midgets. The first (1st) was a relative straight/rust-free late 60s 1275 model, but it was nearly 100% disassembled. I sold that one to a then near-local autocrosser out of Baton Rouge.

The second (2nd) one was a MKI 948/side-screen model that was mostly dissolved by rust, but I did get it to run before stripping it for parts (if I can find a picture of what I did with the running gear, you'd all get a laugh; think Mad Max...).

The third (3rd) one was a roughish shape RWA with front collision damage. I stripped off all the unboltable parts of the body__easily got it running/stopping__and used it running around the property I had in Louisiana (the dog I had at the time loved it, laying or sitting on the RH floor without a seat. Last time I used it was after getting a lot "turtl-backed" and I chained several pieces of 5'-6' long x 2" heavy (like 1/4" thick) angle-iron to pulverize the dirt clumps left behind from the box scraper work. I had also chained an engine hoist into the open trunk area, making it one of the most useful sportscars I've ever had! I left it with my ex-wife (and ex-dog, ex-property, etc.) as her then 2-year old niece just loved riding around__never leaving the property__in it!

I do have getting one (1) more Spridget in mind though, as I'd love to build myself a Sebring fastback coupe version. I have relatively low standards, based on prior Spridget ownership though, so the ideal candidate will have to be near-local (SW Florida, for those wanting to clean their yards/garages), it'll have to be pretty cheap too, since I've yet to spend any real money to buy one. And this time, having a valid title is a requirement.

To echo glemon, I too am a lot less flexible that I was the last time I was clambering in and out of one__though I can still get under the dashboard of an M Rdstr/Coupe__so I'm hopeful to still have a few good years left. What with the Sebring Racetrack just an hour away, it'd be the perfect place to stretch those little Spridget legs!

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randy, I took the car to all previous 6 owners for a photo of them with the car. Here is the hairdresser.

I like Damask Red, too. It was the original color of the car, and was so luscious to paint with that color.

Attachments

• Mary Rodgers.jpg
    Mary Rodgers.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 155
Country flag
Randy, I took the car to all previous 6 owners for a photo of them with the car. Here is the hairdresser.

I like Damask Red, too. It was the original color of the car, and was so luscious to paint with that color.
Must be a keeper of the register thing; cool idea, and must've been a fun process though! ;)

She definitely looks like she was a Happy Midget owner!

attachment.php