• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Miata seats in a TR8

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just finished installing Miata seats in my TR8. I had a couple of reasons to be interested in this, the main one being an effort to preserve the original velour style seats that were used in 81. No reproductions are available, and in the last year the wear has accelerated. Also, burlap and foam are rapidly breaking down (the diaphragms are fine, however), and if I tried to replace those, I'm not sure the original covers would survive.

So I picked up a pair of 1990 Miata seats at a local wrecking yard that specializes in Mazdas. My main goal was to not make any permanent changes to my Wedge, and secondary goal was to minimize changes to the Miata seats, in case it didn't work out. I succeeded in the first, and only made the same changes to the Miata seats that are done when mounting them in a TR6 or MGB.

My initial attempt was to mount the Wedge track to the Miata seat. One advantage of this was that the Wedge track is also the mount for the seat belts. However, because of the way the Wedge adjustment handle works, it would need to be mounted at least an inch and a half away from the seat pan. So that was out.

My next attempt was two simple plates to mount to the Wedge using the original mounting holes, and with studs for the Miata seats. I got those all layed out for the passenger side, using 2" x 18", 3/16" steel bar stock. This seemed to work well, and I had the seat mounted on the same centerline as the Wedge seat.

Then I went to replicate this for the driver's side seat, and found that while the tracks on the Miata passenger seat where equidistant from the center, the right hand side track on the driver's seat was about 3/4" in board. So I took some more careful measurements, and found that the Wedge seats are about 1" inboard (using the steering wheel as a reference). And since the Miata seats are narrower, there is room to make them more in line.

Because I originally had the Miata tracks just inside the original mounting bolts (it was a very close fit), I had to move them over to the other side, but that was just about the right amount (1"). So that meant the right hand side bracket on the passenger side could remain at 2" wide (and I was able to flip over one of brackets I already made), and the left hand bracket became 3" wide. One the driver's side, because of the track offset, the right hand side is 4" wide (and again, I was able to flip and reuse one of the 2" brackets for the left side).

To mount the seat belts, I made some simple L-brackets that attach to the seats between the seat pan and rails.

Compared to a sagging stock seat, seating my seating position is about 2" higher. It actually feels a little more comfortable there, and getting in and out is much easier. The only downside is that seeing traffic signals is a bit more of a pain.

Eventually I plan to recover the seats with something that matches the interior better, but I'm still working on that. I also plan to add headrest speakers.

Attachments

• 28496.jpg
    28496.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 28497.jpg
    28497.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 28498.jpg
    28498.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 409
  • 28499.jpg
    28499.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 408

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brosky? :wink:

:thumbsup:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now I for sure won't be able to wear a cap

Darrell_Walker said:
...Compared to a sagging stock seat, seating my seating position is about 2" higher...

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:

There are two types of early Miata seats. I haven't found any definitive reference, but I think the earliest seats don't have the seat belt receiver mounted to the seat, and the later early seats do.

This picture shows the difference on the front:

https://mrmikes.com/mrmikesmiatawtrfall03.jpg

I think the "bullnose" seats stay flat for more of the seat, and might result in a slightly lower position. I have the "waterfall" seats.

Short of cutting the floor, though, I don't see how they can be mounted much lower. One possibility would be to remove the brackets on rear of the Miata seat, and bolt the track directly to the adapter bracket. But that would only gain you 1/4" at the most, and make mounting difficult.

Attachments

• 28500.jpg
    28500.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 406

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Darrell_Walker said:
DNK said:

There are two types of early Miata seats. I haven't found any definitive reference, but I think the earliest seats don't have the seat belt receiver mounted to the seat, and the later early seats do.

Darrell,

I believe that with the 90-93 seats the seat belt receiver bolts to the tunnel while the 94-97 seats it bolts to the seat.

Scott

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
HerronScott said:
I believe that with the 90-93 seats the seat belt receiver bolts to the tunnel while the 94-97 seats it bolts to the seat.

Thanks, Scott. Most folks doing this are putting them in TR6s or MGBs, both of which have the belts attached to the car body (I believe). So no one cares too much about the belt attachment, I guess.

For the Wedge, the attachment on the later seat is probably too high anyway, since the receiver is designed to bolt down to the track.

This14u

Confirm the belt attachment on early seats. Just looked at my son's '90 and the belts bolt to the floor, not the rails.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have a set of 93 seats in my TR6 and they did NOT have the seat mounts. The 95 seats that I picked up for the TR8 DO have the seat mounts and MR. Mike is making the covers to have no holes and go over them, after they are padded properly.

Darrell and I have been going back and forth, trading ideas and he has a great concept that is now all worked out.

My new seat covers will be done to match the TR8 interior color and should be here early next week. The new upgraded Millennium speakers will be here tomorrow and I'm still trying to decide on seat heaters. I'll probably get them, as I added a new fuse block to the TR8, so I have a good spot to pull power from.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm liking all of that .
Was planning on seat heaters too,don't know if they will be needed in SC though.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
I'm liking all of that .
Was planning on seat heaters too,don't know if they will be needed in SC though.

Are you leaving the Emerald City?

I'm thinking about skipping them, didn't really notice the cold this past year, though we did have a mild one. But I may stick the pads in just in case.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Brosky said:
I have a set of 93 seats in my TR6 and they did NOT have the seat mounts. The 95 seats that I picked up for the TR8 DO have the seat mounts

From you pictures, you also have the two different seat types ("waterfall" vs "bullnose"). Perhaps that tracks the 90-93 and 94-97 break (all are considered first generation (NA) Miatas). Since you have both, you can compare the seat bottom shape, and if the later seat is slightly lower. When we compared measurements, the min and max heights appeared to be the same, but the profile looks a bit different from the pictures I've seen.

All "NA" Miata seats have the same floor bolt pattern, so the same brackets work. I believe the second generation ("NB") seats also have the same bolt pattern, but I don't see them used much. Maybe because the cars are newer, so scrap seats are not as available, or because they don't have headrest speakers, or because the headrest appears to be a bit higher.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
GBRandy said:
You can buy Miata seats already attached to the car for less than a TR8 + Miata seats right?

But then you only end up with a Miata! :smile:

And while I'm doing this mostly to preserve the original seats, it is also true that buying Miata seats and having them recovered will be cheaper than a full rebuild on my original seats. I'd be willing to pay that if it resulted in "original" seats, but it would not, since the 81 fabric isn't available. I did try for a bit to get another set of Wedge seats, but that made even less economic sense, as just a set of frames were more than the Miata seats cost me.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
Darrell, you can buy my old seats

If I decide the Miata seats are not for me, I might take you up on it.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
GBRandy said:
My seats come out tomorrow for re-bulding.

New foams, covers, custom diaphragm, headrests all to original specs / condition and will set me back $650 for the pair. Third time I have done this....I drive it too much.

Please post pictures when they are done. Perhaps I need to send my seats to your guy, no one here will do that kind of work for under a grand! And buying foam and covers from any of the sources I've found would be at least that much, and the original cloth isn't available anyway (so I'd have to go to vinyl or leather).

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll post when complete....but here are some images of what I am starting with.

I got the covers from Rimmers and pretty happy with the quality.

They had the back foams, but not the seat foams. The local Auto Uph guy is going to build me a set along with the diaphragm.

RST48222.jpg

RST48219.jpg

My seat is shot:

RST48221.jpg