Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SSsnake's Getting His 'Eyes'

Discussions of MG Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: SSsnake's Getting His 'Eyes'

What reverse lights are you using in that modified rear valance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgb4tim
    Knowing Tony and his engine... I'm guessing thats for dual exhaust.

edit: oops, just realized you probably knew that from the flush rear upper panel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: .....&: SSsnake's Getting His 'Tail'

Tony,
    I've always been a fan of the molded in spoilers...in truth it was more of a turned up lip...think, late '60s/early '70s Vettes, 240Z w/ground effects pkg., or GT40...something like this:

https://bp2.blogger.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk...-h/SH40_22.jpg

Of course, that would be quite a bit of body work. The spoiler would probably be flush with the top of the rear fenders with a short section on each, then a corresponding upswept lip molded into the trunk lid. My guess is that there are fiberglass profiles available.

Ray
    The "Spridget Project" '62 Sprite RestoMod( http://www.raysmg.com/rays_mg_midget_62_sprite.htm )
    '73 Midget (show)
    '60 TR3A (driver)
    ray@raysmg.com
    www.raysmg.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Hower
    Another opinion ... sorry, cant help myself, tell me to go away/shut up and I will... side gills are too large/low. Maybe an M3 gill?
    They're not as large as the black area makes them look....we made a template & sprayed black paint all around it to look at the positioning.....& I agree they have to be a little higher.....but, they have to line up no higher than the matching holes we've already cut through the inner fenders....they're working vents pulling hot air out of the engine compartment.

Knowing Tony and his engine... I'm guessing thats for dual exhaust.
    Yep, those holes are for the dual exhaust....we're modifying the lower OE MGB taillight lens to incorporate a reverse light....you know that flat reflector section in the lens? We've cut it out & have moulded a reverse lens from a BMW into that square & are putting the reverse lamp in the OE taillight....gonna be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by mccalebr
    I've always been a fan of the molded in spoilers...in truth it was more of a turned up lip...think, late '60s/early '70s Vettes, 240Z w/ground effects pkg., or GT40...something like this:

Of course, that would be quite a bit of body work. The spoiler would probably be flush with the top of the rear fenders with a short section on each, then a corresponding upswept lip molded into the trunk lid. My guess is that there are fiberglass profiles available.
    I threw away a perfectly good trunk lid after trying to make that profile...thing ended up weighing more than I could lift....no real way to do it with the vertical taillights that I could figure out.

I've tried to think everything through on this project & am constantly making changes based on what things look like in the shop. I could write a book on this project.
    <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Big6Mark

Tony:
    This is pretty wild...
    I think (and hope!) everyone will be pretty relaxed about my MGC GT project after seeing this car of yours!
    Did you ever consider the Porsche 911 headlights like Rover used on the RV8?
    Side vents look OK for position. Suppose you can't go any higher than the original detail (chrome strip) line anyway. Just seems they should be angled to match the wheel well angle at that elevation, doesn't it?
    Have you considered the rear spoiler offered by Victoria British? It is intended for the roadster, but is styled after the original Special Tunings rear spoiler developed for the rubber bumper MGB GT. I think this GT spoiler helps the car look longer and a bit more "rakish" and ballanced. Besides, it's supposed to be good for about 50 lbs of reduced aerodynamic lift at speed!
    I am working on adapting one of these to my GT hatch and also looking for a suitable LED third brake light to incorporate into it.
    C Ya,
    Mark
    Ps.: Sorry if this is more than $0.02 (after inflation, thanks George Duh!) worth of opinion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mark - thanks...if I could talk about your various ponts:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I think (and hope!) everyone will be pretty relaxed about my MGC GT project after seeing this car of yours![/QUOTE]
    Don't bet on it! Mine's a regular old '79 MGB of which I have 2 - yours is a limited availability car....I think you'll get beat up by some for hacking one of them up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Did you ever consider the Porsche 911 headlights like Rover used on the RV8?[/QUOTE]
    No, this was really an exercise of 'can it be done properly' - installing new Mini headlights in an MGB fender, that is...probably would've been easier doing the 911 units.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Side vents look OK for position. Suppose you can't go any higher than the original detail (chrome strip) line anyway.[/QUOTE]
    My car no longer has that detail - the side of the car has been cut &amp; smoothed so I can go higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Just seems they should be angled to match the wheel well angle at that elevation, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]
    One of the reasons they've not been cut yet - I'm still looking at their placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Have you considered the rear spoiler offered by Victoria British? It is intended for the roadster, but is styled after the original Special Tunings rear spoiler developed for the rubber bumper MGB GT. I think this GT spoiler helps the car look longer and a bit more "rakish" and ballanced. Besides, it's supposed to be good for about 50 lbs of reduced aerodynamic lift at speed![/QUOTE]
    I did briefly - but everybody uses it. Plus, I think VB's dropped it from their catalog; I know Moss did a few years ago.

Whew!! &amp; I'm already about 4 years into this project!!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="color: #006600"> Tony &quot;theAutoist&quot; Barnhill</span></span></span></span></span>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony,

Ray
    Like this?

MGB Berlinette

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony,

Ray
    Like this?

MGB Berlinette
    Yah, way more work than I wanted to tackle - plus, I don't like the rear end of that coupe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Erm... dumb question, but how are you going to open the doors? You have some tricked out door opener?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Erm... dumb question, but how are you going to open the doors? You have some tricked out door opener?
    hehehe....doors &amp; trunk both:.....remote, keyless system that unlocks &amp; pops either door or trunk open!

Something like this product: https://www.hotronicsproducts.com/store/p...5fd6e8f0697676d

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony barnhill
    Another opinion ... sorry, cant help myself, tell me to go away/shut up and I will... side gills are too large/low. Maybe an M3 gill?
    They're not as large as the black area makes them look....we made a template &amp; sprayed black paint all around it to look at the positioning.....&amp; I agree they have to be a little higher.....but, they have to line up no higher than the matching holes we've already cut through the inner fenders....they're working vents pulling hot air out of the engine compartment.
    Cool, they're functional! Understand the space limitations.

But I think they're backward... shouldn't the leading edge of the vent parallel the trailing edge of the wheel arch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tony, what's up with the roof line? Are those two raised areas functional or decorative?
    '67 MGB, '70 GT6+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're not as large as the black area makes them look....we made a template &amp; sprayed black paint all around it to look at the positioning.....&amp; I agree they have to be a little higher.....but, they have to line up no higher than the matching holes we've already cut through the inner fenders....they're working vents pulling hot air out of the engine compartment.
    Cool, they're functional! Understand the space limitations.

But I think they're backward... shouldn't the leading edge of the vent parallel the trailing edge of the wheel arch?
    Know what? After looking at the photos, I've gotta go to the bodyshop tomorrow to see....hmmmmm

They're pulling air out of the fender, not pushing it in so they should look like on this Cobra:

&amp; here's a close-up of the passenger fender (the wheelwell is to the right):

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Know what? After looking at the photos, I've gotta go to the bodyshop tomorrow to see....hmmmmm
    Whoa Nellie! Does that mean I get an extra discount on my next order

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they're backwards, Scott - you win a "theAutoist" cap! hehehe

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To quote Paris Hilton - how often does THAT happen? - Cobra's are HAWT! LOL

Tony, I think that rear spoiler can work, if the leading edge of the end caps match the angle profile of the rear edge of the hood scoop and the rear edges of the end caps match the angle profile of the rear fenders/tail lamps. Further, if the end caps were attached to the quarter panels and the center section of the spoiler lifted with the trunk lid - as in the 70's GSX - that might be really sharp. A little hard to visualize, wish I could photo shop your pics!
    Peter Hays, Chicago, Il
    1959 Morris Minor Convertible - "Truly Scrumptious"
    1959 Morris Minor Traveller - "Sammie"
    1963 Mini MkI Traveller = "Little Red"
    1956 Jaguar MkI 2.4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they're backwards, Scott - you win a "theAutoist" cap! hehehe
    Cool. Does it come in pink? Wife needs one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverghost
    To quote Paris Hilton - how often does THAT happen? - Cobra's are HAWT! LOL

Tony, I think that rear spoiler can work, if the leading edge of the end caps match the angle profile of the rear edge of the hood scoop and the rear edges of the end caps match the angle profile of the rear fenders/tail lamps. Further, if the end caps were attached to the quarter panels and the center section of the spoiler lifted with the trunk lid - as in the 70's GSX - that might be really sharp. A little hard to visualize, wish I could photo shop your pics!
    I'm trying to visualize what you mean by "end caps" - think you mean the extreme ends of the spoiler itself....the entire spoiler will lift with the trunk - there's just not enough 'meat' on the top of the rear quarters to put anything of size on them.....the ends of the spoiler (where they turn down) will go into the valley of the quarter panel &amp; match its line along with the line of the little 'fins' that end in the tail lights.....there will be 2 spoiler 'feet' out near the edges of the trunk lid &amp; 1 'foot' under the 3rd light....those will be completely underneath the spoiler itself but will have some angle to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to mount the spoiler so it's removable? In case you change your mind?

I've always found non-functional rear spoilers to be ricer-ish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it possible to mount the spoiler so it's removable? In case you change your mind?

I've always found non-functional rear spoilers to be ricer-ish.
    Yup. And despite all the aerodynamic data people spout in favour of them, they do approximately bugger all at normal road speed, hence the old response: "Spoiler? What does it spoil? Answer - "The looks of the car"

You CAN certainly redesign the back of the MGB so as to have a nearly level rear deck spoiler like the Coune coupe, but as Tony indicated, it is a LOT of work and it would still (IMHO) look like an MGB being buggered by an Alfa Graduate.

There has obviously been a lot of constructive thought go into the project from the driveline end, it would be a shame to cheapen the result with geegaws and styling malapropisms. Anyone with a Visa card and the address for JC Whitney can do THAT.

PS - I had a TR-6 chin spoiler all modified to attach under the nose of the Jamaican (would have made it look like a Datsun 240Z, though) but relented when I gave it some thought. Even though it could have been much better integrated in the design than a rear spoiler on an MGB, it did bugger all and the only thing it would have spoiled in the end was the clean looks of the car. So I am not just making an off the cuff judgement here, I have personally considered this issue and come to a decision based on that.
    Current clutter: 1957 MGA-Jamaican, 1958 MGA Twincam (race car), 1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe, 1971 Jensen Interceptor
    2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe, 2007 BMW Z4M coupe Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV-8, 1969 MGC roadster, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S