• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Ready for the Frame!

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Couple of pictures of the engine. I'm ready to take it off the engine stand add the flywheel and the clutch and put on the frame. It will be really exciting to me to have it on the frame and can add the items that will turn it into an automobile.
I would kind of like to put the body on before the tranny and overdrive, just cause. Any technical problems with that? Also if I put the body on it will expand my shop by a considerable margin! I really could use the room.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 11379.jpg
    11379.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 11380.jpg
    11380.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 273

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Nice job Tinkerman!

I don't know about the TR3, as far as room goes.

My rule of thumb as that if you could build it on the stand and put it in as a unit, that was the way to go. Doesn't the front end open right up on those?

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Spitfire opens all the way like the E type jags. TR's don't. I had to mount the engine using the bell housing when I mounted it on my stand. I will now suspend it from my A frame and add the flywheel, clutch stuff and starter, etc., before I put it on the frame.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Cheers, Tinkerman

PeterK

Yoda
Look really nice. The fan is a beauty!

If you mount the engine alone (w/o gear box), you will have to support the rear of the engine somehow and might make it hard to move the chassis around. The gearbox will go in a lot easier if the body is off and you can also get the drivershaft and exhaust lined up easier. But, up to you.

Nice job!!!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
One of the guys posted a picture of his TR3 with the front end wide open, with the grille out. Actually, it's at the shop where my car is right now and his engine and trans were pulled as a unit. I think that they were. I'll confirm later today when I go to see mine fire up.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tinkerman, that engine looks great! I think I'll print out these pictures and show them to Erik and tell him this what I want my engine to look like when he's done! :thumbsup:

Brosky said:
One of the guys posted a picture of his TR3 with the front end wide open, with the grille out. Actually, it's at the shop where my car is right now and his engine and trans were pulled as a unit. I think that they were. I'll confirm later today when I go to see mine fire up.

That's probably my car your thinking of. I'm stopping by the shop tomorrow to see how it's going with the rebuild.
TR3A without engine

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
...The gearbox will go in a lot easier if the body is off and you can also get the drivershaft and exhaust lined up easier...

I agree -- particularly if you are going with an OD and if you are working alone. I've wrassled that OD in there solo but it would have been much easier w/o the body in place.

Also, the point about needing to fab support for the rear of the engine w/o a gearbox back there may be the real deal-breaker.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I just got done last week install the engine and trans. Put them in as a unit with the body on (apron off). Slid right in without a hassle.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes definitely put the tranny on the engine because it will provide you with the rear mount and level and center everything. Do you have the body tub off the frame, that even makes things easier, but if you do not no biggie.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Rich, I'm sorry! I couldn't find the thread that you posted it to.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Brosky said:
Rich, I'm sorry! I couldn't find the thread that you posted it to.
No apologies necessary! Seeing all these terrific engines, Tinkerman's, 2Wrench’s, yours has me itching to see mine all done! I hope Erik thought to take a couple of shots (I didn’t think ask him) of my greasy dirty engine before he started to take it apart. That would be nice to have some before and after of it.

Tinkerman's engine looks like it just came from the factory!

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Paul, yep, once again I was thinking in one dimension while you and others were thinking in three dimensions. The front of my body tub looks just like Rich's does, so to that extent it does open right up. However rational thinking dictates that it would be much easier to drop the engine, tranny and OD in without the body tub being on the frame.

Thanks all of you for your kind words about the engine. I hope that all of you twigged to clicking on the 2nd file listed on the post to see the right side of the engine. Don't know why it did that, curious.

Cheers, Tinkerman

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm glad you pointed out the right side picture, I was looking at the wrong side, but both sides look great. And the little bit of the frame showing looks just as fantastik.

Excellent work. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking too much time on mine and trying to make it too perfect, then you guys submit your pictures and make me think I'm not doing such a good job.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tinker, that sucker looks great! Youch. Really,
really happy for ya.

I pulled my engine one unit, tranny and all, and
so gonna try to put it back just the same. We'll see.
Just need some time and bogged down on little stuff
that I can't find. I'll stop short of blaming the
machine shop and say I lost little stuff that will
take time finding the specs for....you know, bolts
and right now exhaust studs, etc.