• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A Guages?

Mattryanmusic

Freshman Member
So I have a 1967 TR4A, IRS. It had a V8 Swap done to it before I bought it. The only thing I had to do to it when I bought it is put new gauges(Speedo/Tach) in it since the originals won't work with the new engine/tranny. So I guess my question is, should I sell the original gauges and free up a little cash to do a few small other things the car needs like a new top? Or should I just hold on to them in case I end up selling the car and the new owner wants to restore the car back to factory? Some other factors to consider, The factory center console for the radio is missing, but I have the radio. So is the original engine/tranny.

Thanks for your response's, I know it's a bit long winded.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sell em. Anyone buying your car later is going after the V8, and I doubt will care about the gauges. They won't add to the sale value of your car. Not sure your gauges will get you all the way to a top, though.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Gauges won't get you a top but that radio might -- those can go for silly money if they are typical 'original' equipment in good working order.

Are you saying the center console that would connect the dash to the floorboards is not in place? I don't think that thing was merely decorative or to just hold the radio, I believe it helped keep the scuttle shake down and make things more rigid when they went to the cardboard tunnel cover.

OTOH, with your engine swap perhaps you have a very different set-up in that area.

OP
M

Mattryanmusic

Freshman Member
Well, I know the gauges won't pay for a new top, but would lessen the sting. The center console I'm talking about is the one that connects the dash to the trans tunnel that holds the factory radio. My trans cover is made of steel and is riveted in, probably made to clear the C3 Transmission and provide a sturdy place to mount the B&M ratchet shifter. I think I'm just going to put the Speedo, Tach and the radio up for sale to fund my new top. I think Randy (TR4nut) is right. Having those extra pieces won't effect the resale on the car since most buyers will be more interested in a nice, clean, ready to drive car with a nasty little V8.

MichaelG

Marty,

Welcome to the list. I would sell the gauges. If you have the opportunity sometime, determine if you can make that the center console fit. It does provide some support for the dash, probably more to eliminate vibration and attendant noise. Mine was out for a while and I noticed a subtle difference when reinstalled. Why not post a picture when you have a moment?

Do you have the original engine?

Cheers

OP
M

Mattryanmusic

Freshman Member
Here's a shot of the interior. I don't have the center console or the original Engine/Trans.
P1000487.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Very nice...but you're just teasing us with an interior shot...<span style='font-size: 12pt'>We want to see the engine bay!!</span>

OP
M

Mattryanmusic

Freshman Member
Here it is, I've since changed the Air cleaner to a chrome one and those nasty looking manifolds are getting replace with headers soon. I've also cleaned up a lot of the wiring to make it look neater.
P1000481.jpg

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is very nice. I guess the battery is in the trunk. Can we see another picture of the other side of the engine bay? I'm wondering if the steering column had to be messed with. I'm guessing it runs a little better than the 4.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find that people here will not always agree with you, or what you might be doing, but they'll help you out just the same. Your conversion is something I'd never consider, but I bet it's a lot of fun to drive.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, I'd like to take a peak at the brake mod too.

Randy

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I realize that I am the perpetual <u>curmudgeon</u>, but I don't see the point. BUT I admire the engineering and hard work.
I am sorry but it's not a Triumph.

OP
M

Mattryanmusic

Freshman Member
I'll have to snap some more pics of the other side. The brake system has what appears to be an after market booster with the stock master cylinder. The pedal had an odd feel compared to modern brake systems that I'm used to, but has no problem stopping the car. The column hasn't been hacked to bad, but definitely been modified to clear the manifolds. It has a few small things here and there that I need to go thru and clean up, but it was still easier and cheaper to buy the car than building it myself. Heres the most current pics from last weekend.
IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

G

The cool part is it looks totally stock from the outside. Bet you surprise a few modern sports cars when it comes time to push the giddyup pedal.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Ah, the mighty Windsor....good enough for the AC Cobra 289 and Sunbeam Tiger, so it should really motivate the 4A.

There doesn't appear to be any splay on the rear wheels, so is the IRS still in, or has it a live axle?.

You will find the headers release extra horsepower, and improve economy. The trade off can be more heat in the engine bay and a noisier cabin, as I found when I recently fitted them to the 302W in my 66 Mustang Conv.

Here's a few more conversions....check out the 427 TR4 !.

https://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Triumph-Conversions.htm

Enjoy the burble !

Viv.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
It does look like a nice sleeper. If its an IRS, and no ones told you yet, pay attention to those rear diff mounts..

Randy

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
My .02 is that with some smallish effort you could use the original gauges.

Get a distributor for a Ford with a mechanical tach drive (not too uncommon).

And have an adaptor cable made for the speedometer. Possibly incorporating a ratio box.

Any competant speedo shop should be able to make one.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
There are gauge restoration places out there that will convert mechanical tachs to electric. Just another possibility for retaining the original style gauges.