• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AstroShield - anyone?

Basil

Administrator
Boss
A friend of mine was telling me about a car polish (not a wax) called "Astro Shield." I was wondering if anyone here has heard of it and had any experience with it?

Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve:
Not heard of it. Did he say if it was any good?<hr></blockquote>

He was very impressed with it...said it lasted a long long time. He also recounted how some aircraft reduced their fuel consumption by quite a bit by using this stuff.

Bas

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

He was very impressed with it...said it lasted a long long time. He also recounted how some aircraft reduced their fuel consumption by quite a bit by using this stuff.

Bas
<hr></blockquote>

Technically this is true, but in reality doesn't necessarily represent a significant savings, and also doesn't necessarily mean that any other wax or polish doesn't also increase efficiency by reducing drag... or even take into account the possibility that just keeping the paint clean and bug/dirt-free is just as effective.

An interesting scientific study was done on the subject a few years ago: https://www.cafefoundation.org/aprs/Wax%20Job%20with%20PICT.pdf

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
Or.... sometimes "rougher" is better as in the case of golf balls where the dimples actually improve the drag coefficient and make the ball fly further.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CraigFL:
Or.... sometimes "rougher" is better as in the case of golf balls where the dimples actually improve the drag coefficient and make the ball fly further.<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't work for my golf game
grin.gif

William

Darth Vader
So I shouldn't take the parking lot dings out of the MGB....they make it faster? Cool! Weekend saved!
-Wm.

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish".
i've used it, and it looks ok. holds up pretty well. its made in brooklyn, ny. i do like the 40-50's style advertising on the can though. makes it look like its been around for 70 years.
the can is rectangular shaped and is colored yellow and black. the logo of "astroshield" is in cursive. contains flouro-co-polymers. a bit pricey @ around 20-30bucks a qt.
i'll stick with a good pure 30-50% yellow carnuaba wax like mothers, meguires, or blitz.
you would have to go above 150mph to see any aerodynamic benefit claims, anyway.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by XJRpilot:
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish".
i've used it, and it looks ok. holds up pretty well. its made in brooklyn, ny. i do like the 40-50's style advertising on the can though. makes it look like its been around for 70 years.
the can is rectangular shaped and is colored yellow and black. the logo of "astroshield" is in cursive. contains flouro-co-polymers. a bit pricey @ around 20-30bucks a qt.
i'll stick with a good pure 30-50% yellow carnuaba wax like mothers, meguires, or blitz.
you would have to go above 150mph to see any aerodynamic benefit claims, anyway.
<hr></blockquote>

Doesn't sound like something I'd want to try either. I think I will stick with my Zaino Bros. Show Car Polish for now
grin.gif

Basil

bbbbailey

Freshman Member
In sailboat racing, it is found that a mirror smooth bottom is not the fastest. A bottom lightly toothed causes the adherence of the contact layer of water, which in turn forms a boundry layer to adjacent water. The friction
(drag) of water against water is less than the drag of water against the mirror smooth bottom.

All this is usually at less than ten knots, and in water not air. (unless it's raining)

Bob

bbbbailey

Freshman Member
I was a happy Blitz waxer and then tried a brand of the new Space Age wonder stuff. Very glossy, brillant, long lasting, but after many coats, just
not the same depth. I'm back to Blitz.

Bob

G

I have a brother-in-law that swears by it. He used to clean up cars for dealers and thats what he used.
Bob

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
its actually a "glaze", which differs from a "polish"...

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately there is no standardization in the industry. In addition to that, many manufacturers' descriptions of just what their products are or do are very confusing.

What Astroshield calls a polish is not what Meguiar's or 3M call a polish but may or may not be what Mother's or Zaino call a polish. Simple enough? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Meanwhile, what Zaino calls a polish Meguiar's calls a protectant. At least Meguiar's and 3M pretty much agree on glaze. That's what Meguiar's means by polish but not 3M because they almost (but not quite) mean compound when they say polish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

In case that isn't sufficiently complicated many companies mix multiple materials and functions together and then they name them randomly.

Bottom line; read labels very carefully to see if what it does is what you really have in mind.

A word of advice, Astroshield's website suggests you "Use soft, clean, dry rags - like an undershirt" for application. This is not a good idea. Using random old clothing for polishing is the quickest road to major swirl marks, especially with clear coat finishes. Stick to real towels, either microfiber or 100% cotton.

PC.