• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More EBay junk

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This guy is claiming he is selling a genuine Jaguar SS100 (Never mind that they didn't make the SS100 in 1929, if this is a real SS100 then I'm the King of England:
SS100 - not
Basil

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
And what a modern looking interior that car has. I had no idea they used shag carpet in 1929 on cars they didn't build.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The hubcaps are also a nice touch I didn't even notice at first.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

A

aerog

Yup, authentic right down to the VDO gauges, gel-coat, and $35/set wheel covers (got some of those myself). On the other hand I've had people who, no matter how much I try to explain, insist my fake '52 MG is not only the real thing - but an old antique. My Uncle has a Gazelle (fake '29 Mercedes) and we've run into people who insist it's the genuine thing. Maybe this is just a case of ignorance? We can hope
smile.gif

Compare that eBay replica to this one:
grin.gif

ss100a.jpg

ss100b.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thats a bautiful replicar scott. Also your MG isn't too bad either both of them much beter than the one on Ebay right now.

Cheers
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

A

aerog

The one pictured is a real SS100 I think, or a Suffolk replica (it's metal)...but I'm pretty sure it's real.

I also meant to say that if you watch eBay long enough you'll see a ton of 1929 MG-TDs and/or replicas
rolleyes.gif

We should start a section on poking fun at eBayers anyway...Lots of MGB-Midgets out there, among others
grin.gif

[ 05-02-2004: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Bidding ended. Looks like the seller made a mistake???

on eBay
"The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing."

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How could the seller have possibly made a mistake on that authentic 29 SS100 with LHD, cheesy hubcaps, shag carpet, and that attractive stearing wheel?

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by waltesefalcon:
How could the seller have possibly made a mistake on that authentic 29 SS100 with LHD, cheesy hubcaps, shag carpet, and that attractive stearing wheel?

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter
<hr></blockquote>

Maybe because I emailed him and told him straight out his car was not an authentic SS100 and he should not represent it as such.
hammer.gif

"Dear xxkara17xx,

You are selling what you claim is an original 1929 Jaguar SS100. First, Jaguar did not make the SS100 in 1929. (a minor point, but you're a full decade off on your year) Second, a genuine SS100 would fetch upwards of $250,000 or perhaphs much more depending on condition. The car in the picture on your ad is some sort of kit car or replica. The wheels alone give that away. Whatever sort of kit or after-market car it is, I can assure you it is not a genuine SS100. Here is what a genuine SS100 looks like: https://www.ss100.com/gallery/jpegs/black_lg.jpg I really don't think you want to represent whatever that is as a genuine Jaguar SS100 because it isn't."

aerog - I I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that SS100 in your picture is a Suffolk car. The cigar lighter to the left of the rev counter is, I think, an optional item installed by Suffolk which is not found on the original. But the best way to tell is if you happened to notice the motor. The motor on the Suffolk car is a modern Jaguar XK 6-cyl, dual overhead cam. Also, the Suffolk car has modern Jaguar suspension (including the EType rear end). Its really hard to tell for sure from those pictures because the Suffolk SS is a really good replica that from any distance is impossible to tell from the real thing. (That's why I want one some day!). On the otherhand, if it is a Suffolk car, it will have trafficator lights on either side of the oil gauge (the center gauge between the tach and the Speedo). From that picture, I can't quite tell if it has those or not.

Basil

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

A

aerog

I'm pretty sure it's real. I remember when I saw it I couldn't believe it was a real SS100 and gave it a pretty close look (the sign said it was an SS100, but you know how that is).

In any event, the eBayer could be just flat ignorant - it isn't unheard of (doubtful though, I know). The attitude of some of the replica owners amazes me sometimes.

There's a local with a '34 Mercedes replica, and he drives it all the time. Nice car. Fiberglass (just gel-coat too) with big-3 parts, including automatic transmission and a/c. Every year he puts his car in the local AACA antique car show and has "1934 Mercedes" on his info card. To be fair he doesn't hide the fact that he knows it's a fake, I talked with him about it - he's a genuinely nice guy...but why not put "1934 Mercedes replica" on the card like I do with the TD?
rolleyes.gif

Anyway - here's a closeup of the r/h instrument cluster:
ss100c.jpg

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

huck6

Jedi Trainee
It's a shame to see folks trying to pass off the replicas for real. I think that they should be celebrated for what they are, replicars, and encouraged. Even if they are fiberglass, most of them are still darn pretty and a sight for sore eyes from the run-of-the-mill SUVs and econoboxes.
yesnod.gif

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
If you look real close, you can see the exhaust outlets for the VW engine sticking out the rear end....

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:
I'm pretty sure it's real. I remember when I saw it I couldn't believe it was a real SS100 and gave it a pretty close look (the sign said it was an SS100, but you know how that is).

<hr></blockquote>

It could well be. They do exist. If so it is worth some serious scratch. On the close up you posted I don't see the trafficator lights which would be the dead giveaway for a Suffolk car. Any chance you got pics of the motor?
Basil

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
But speaking of SS100s, some day, when I'm rich and facmous (if all 3000 members would just send me $1000, I could reach that goal much sooner), I really would love to attempt putting together on of the Suffolk SS100 cars.

Suffolk SS100

Check their media gallery and look at some of the videos - very cool stuff!

Basil

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:
Any chance you got pics of the motor?
<hr></blockquote>

Nope, no engine pictures. That was at the Chateau Elan show last year.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Basil:

Maybe because I emailed him and told him straight out his car was not an authentic SS100 and he should not represent it as such.
hammer.gif

<hr></blockquote>

Basil - good job. Maybe we can be eBAy car cops in our free time. Hate these scammers.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mark Beiser:
If you look real close, you can see the exhaust outlets for the VW engine sticking out the rear end....<hr></blockquote>

Wow - they sure do look like VW pipes. Great observation.