• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's Either Start Cussin' or Post Something

L

LarryO

I work rotating 12 hour shifts in an Emergency Response organization and sometimes (like tonight) things are slow and I can fiddle with my 74 B while I monitor radios, etc.

Catching up on a few things I've been wanting to do...I installed one of those "MG" radio blaning plates...that didn't make me want to cuss. I replaced a few lift-a-dot studs (I guess that's what they're called)...still didn't feel like cussing...well, almost.

THEN !! I needed to replace the gaskets underneath my windshield wipers (where they mount on the outside). One went smoothly. It's now obvious that I was getting water in the cockpit from both sides. Then I found that the #$@&*%$ previous owner had cross-threaded the nut on the driver's side wiper over about 1/4 in of threads. How can you tighten a nut over 1/4 inch distance and NOT know it was cross-threaded? THAT did make me recall my U. S. Navy language.

Whew. Feel better now. I have a couple more small things I want to do tonight if things stay calm.

Thanks for listening.

Larry O

Got a tap closeby? Might come in handy - enjoy your night. I hope there's no real Serious calls. I take care of the one's that don't make it. I'm "on call" tomorrow night.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The threads are really-really fine on those gearboxes. Ham-fisted people pay no attention, rather they just get a wrench with more leverage. Short of yanking the whole wiper assembly out and replacing the one assembly, you're as likely as not at a fifty-fifty chance of fiddling it back to the original threads. Did ya succeed? A die that size/pitch would be as expensive ( or more!) than a replacement, and you'd be taking the thing out to do that anyway.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, I hope you were successful - pulling those things is a PITA! Even with the dash out....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Like wrasslin' an octopus... INSIDE a fishing net!

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I work a 24 hr shift, I'm the one who comes to your aid if you dial 911. On those very few and far between slow days, I'm reading repair manuals or cleaning or fixin' parts...to me, it's a great stress reliever. Ok, ya got a cross-thread, but it's not as if somebody's dyin'...lol. The most cussin i ever did was rebuilding a mgb brake master cylinder...what a pain.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bob, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for people like you. Keep up the good work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Jeff

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
funny... the only thing that's made me cuss while working on my MGB (so far) was attempting to remove the old bushings from the fron hanger eye on the leaf springs.... pressed in double steel sleeved biggest PITA pieces of rubber I've ever dealt with... course I was only cussin' cause I only had hand tools to work with... removal of those things took prolly around 6 hours each with hand tools only.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If it needs pressed, throw in the back of the pickup and take it to the machine shop. That kind of stuff they do cheep and while you wait.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ain't got a pick-up... the B is my only mode of trans port... aside from car pooling and 1/2 day loaners from friends, and none of my friends that are willing to loan me their cars have trucks...

either way... I got the job done... even if it did take me a day longer than anticipated... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
L

LarryO

Well, I got the nut back on tight enough to hold the post steady and compress the new seal.

OT some...for MGBMEDIC. I appreciate what you and others like you do. I have one son who is an EMT for an ambulance service in Knoxville, and another son who is a Firefighter in Crossville. Me...I'm Emergency Director, among other things, where I work.