• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Wont Start

JKOregon

Freshman Member
I have a 73 TR and for the last eight years it would start right up with no issues. Then I noticed a couple weeks ago there was a slight delay when I turned the key before it would do anything. Power came on but there was a delay in cranking. The other day I turned the key and got nothing. Power comes on but no crank and no clicking. I already had a new starter so I went ahead and replaced it but that was not the problem. I know I need to check the ignition switch but am not sure the best way to check it, or if I need to check other items as well? The previous owner changed out the points for the Petronix module. I don't see a starter relay on the schematic, just one for the horn? I appreciate any suggestions.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No starter relay for 73 TR6.

I would probably start by connecting a test light from the terminal with the white/red wire at the starter solenoid, to ground. Position the light where you can see it, then watch as you try to start the engine. The light should come on as soon as you turn to the start position. If not, then the switch is the most likely culprit. If you want, you can (I think) dismount the switch and repeat the test with the light attached directly to the wire on the switch (to ensure that it's not a bad connection along the way).

But it's most likely the switch.

PS, welcome to the asylum!

OP
J

JKOregon

Freshman Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give that a try, I knew I needed to test the switch but wasn't sure how best to test it.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Have you checked for a loose or corroded connection between the battery and the starter?

OP
J

JKOregon

Freshman Member
Looks like the start switch is the issue. Bypassed it and started right away! I appreciate the help, electrical is not my strength and fortunately I have not experienced the electrical bugs British cars seem to have (or at least are rumored to have). Thanks again!

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I think the switch can be disassembled; it splits in two, I believe. The MOSS TR6 catalogue had a drawing of the switch, ISTR.
Sorry, been awhile since I’ve had a ‘6. I disassembled my ‘74 switch to good results.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If you look at the terminals on the back of the switch, you may see brown or black scorching, this is normal before replacement. I have a 64 Chevy ignition switch for a spare, so my wife could keep driving her GT6 until new switch came in. Has the same terminals as Triumph, I just let it hang and she just pulled the key. Was in a diffferent period of time when Import car theft wasn't something to worry about.