Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: British 4 door cars

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: British 4 door cars

gsalt...

I think it was $3,500 (CDN), a wee bit much for the shape it was in.
    No british car yet Taking donations
    Meanwhile, my camera wish list is growing
    My Photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is the story on the Vanguard....The VIN is V212098E, which puts it midway between Jan and May of 1953....

[/ QUOTE ] Did you get that off the title or other paperwork? It sounds more like an engine serial number to me. Commission numbers (what we often call VIN here) should end in "LDL" (Left hand drive, De Luxe), possibly followed by an additional "O" (for Overdrive if equipped from the factory with same).

If you've need of any such information, I do have a Spare Parts Catalogue, 2nd edition, and can reference part numbers, etc.
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The number came off the paperwork.

According to the Standard Motor Club website, that is the commission number.

https://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk...uards/comm.htm
    Formerly:
    1957 Triumph TR3 Comm #TS16434L
    1961 Triumph 10 TBE55513LSC
    Currently admiring Vintage British and Swedish cars
    All Triumphs, no tribulations (never owned an MG)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

OK, sorry if I wasn't quite clear. Yes, the engines had the same "V" prefix for a Vanguard unit. But the "E" suffix definitely indicates an Engine unit. It's not been uncommon over the years to find vehicles titled by engine number instead of commission (VIN) number. New York used to do it all the time!

If you scroll down that page from the SMC, you'll see the second table: Common suffixes to Phase 1 and Phase II cars. Those are the suffix letters you would see on the commission number plate. Note that the Phase II Vanguard started with "commission number V200001 and future"; that means that the number you quoted is likely the original "correct" engine, as engine numbers tended to run close to commission numbers (but, of course, virtually never matched).
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, Andrew,

Here it is. The car has arrived. The Commission number is V215351 DLO. The engine number is indeed V212098E. I also have the body number, but noone cares about that anyway.

The car drives nicely. It has the early mechanical overdrive that only works in high gear. Choke sticks but thats not a big deal, don't really need the choke in sunny California anyway. LOL

So far I've got maybe 25 miles on it. Like me, this thing is pushing 53 and she likes the slower more sedate speeds of the jags in our club.

Despite having the engine of my TR3, she isn't a TR3 and thats not why I bought it, but She's going to be alot of fun.
    Formerly:
    1957 Triumph TR3 Comm #TS16434L
    1961 Triumph 10 TBE55513LSC
    Currently admiring Vintage British and Swedish cars
    All Triumphs, no tribulations (never owned an MG)