• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Electric fuel pump for in my possibles bag

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Putting together a "possibles bag" a bag that will consist of some tools and other small parts like points, fuses, wire, extra sparking plugs and a electric fuel pump to get me home. My question is for my TR3's bag. It has of course 2 stock SUs and I'm looking for the proper PSI for the electric fuel pump to purchase. Possibly a Facet or Facet re-pop. 1.5 to 4 PSI just right or 2.0 to 4 PSI too high? Also eventually I'll need one for my TR6 too but assuming I could use the same size pump.

I'm not planning to not permanently mount it but with some quick connectors and some short hoses and clamps I cam make it work.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I carry the same for my emergency roadside fixes (if required). I purchased A facet cube kit, part number FEP-42SV. It came with a fuel filter and nuts and bolts to mount it for 48.99. I bought it from a company called Aircraft Spruce up here. It is a 1.5-4 psi min/max pump. And yes, I use it for both my TR3A and TR6 running stock carbs.

Cheers
Tush

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've been using the same Facet pump Tush is using. It's been in my TR6 for at least two years with no problems at all. It does make a "clicking" noise every so often but I think that's normal for Facets.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds like were on the same page. I had to learn the hard way last summer I was at the TRF Summer Party when my mechanical fuel pump went out and a friend had this neat tool kit with a Facet pump he carries for a spare and let me borrow it to get back to the Factory to buy a new pump. Surprisingly it pulled the fuel right through the mechanical pump. Putting one together for all the TRs. This will be riding in the bag until called upon.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I think that Facet pump is a good choice. I had one in my Bugeye Sprite and I put one in my Porsche, too. Actually, in the Porsche, I used the one with the next higher pressure range and regulate it down to 2.5 PSI with a Holley regulator. It works just fine.

With SU carbs, you don't want more than about 3 PSI. It might be a good idea to hook up the pump and see what its back-off pressure is. If it's too high, it can push fuel past the float valve. That's why I used a higher pressure and regulator on the Porsche. I'm planning to use the same setup on my TR4A too.

dklawson

Yoda
As part of survival kits, I have Facets in the boot of the Mini and my wife's GT6. I soldered on some extension wires and terminated those with alligator clips. In the bag with the pump I included decent lengths of 1/4" fuel line and assorted hose clamps. Since putting the kits in the two cars I have not had to use them. Prior to making the kits I did have to bottle feed the Mini to get it back up the driveway when its pump failed moments from leaving the house. It's good to have a spare while on the road.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok now I'm down to ether a Facet or EMPI pump to purchase. That latter is more reasonably priced and a good name too. However I can't seem to find out if it cuts off fuel if it senses too much back pressure. I am assuming that Facets pumps do?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Okay, I will ask an obvious question. If you are wanting to carry an extra fuel pump. What is wrong with carrying a stock fuel pump. I know that the rear nut on the fuel pump is difficult to get to. But I have figured out that a `1/4" drive socket with a short ( about 2-3") wobble extension works good for that one. I carry a stock fuel pump and a water pump with a pulley mounted.
Charley

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Okay, I will ask an obvious question. If you are wanting to carry an extra fuel pump. What is wrong with carrying a stock fuel pump. I know that the rear nut on the fuel pump is difficult to get to. But I have figured out that a `1/4" drive socket with a short ( about 2-3") wobble extension works good for that one. I carry a stock fuel pump and a water pump with a pulley mounted.
Charley

One advantage of the electric back up besides the easier plug in and connect is that a spare electric with a short length of hose is also a good transfer pump for an out of gas situation.
Tom

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I actually carry a mechanical pump as well for both the TR3A and the TR6. Changing the pump on a TR6 is a piece of cake compared to a TR3A. I can do a roadside swap of a TR6 on a hot engine in about 20 minutes on a 6...on a 3A there is less space and more difficult access to the nuts holding the pump on plus that **** oil line....if I broke down roadside on the 3A, I would get to where I was going and then switch out the pump when the engine was cool and you are under less pressure to get the car going...

My 2 cents.

Cheers
Tush

dklawson

Yoda
Okay, I will ask an obvious question. If you are wanting to carry an extra fuel pump. What is wrong with carrying a stock fuel pump.

In the case of our GT6, the stock mechanical pump was gone by the 1970s when my father-in-law removed it. Carrying the spare electric pump for us is carrying a like-for-like replacement.

If you are just carrying the extra pump for emergency use, there are several others that will work (Mr. Gasket, Carter, and Airtex among others).

EDIT: For a list of alternates see the MGA Guru website. Link below.
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/fuel/fp201.htm

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Guys:
Can one of you explain how you would (or do) hook up the Facet pump when doing emergency roadside repairs, due to failed mechanical pump? I'm not really clear how this would work and would like to understand the details of this temp install. I assume you'd hook up the pump to the battery with long leads and some some spring clamps. Where would you mount the pump?

Thanks for any wisdom you all can share.

Pat

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is going to be a back up pump to get me where I need to go or to a safe place to do a swap if I have a new one. However I usually don't carry one. This electric pump is to help save space and piece of mind. Installation was easy. Pulled off the rubber hose on the pressure side of the manual pump. Slipped on a rubber hose from the outlet of the stock pump to barbed fitting on the inlet side of the e pump. Then plugged in the other side of the e pump that had a barbed fitting into the rubber hose connector on the pipe to the carb. Took one of the bolts out from the coil mount and attached the ground wire to that and the hot wire went to the coil. The e pump was able to draw the fuel through the broken stock pump. This was on my TR250.