Thread: key ID from a barrel?

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

key ID from a barrel?

HI,
    I have a 1966 vehicle without door key or ignition Key.
    I wondered if it was possible to find the key no somehow from the locks and ignite below?
    Taken things apart with no damage.. bit the door lock, seems a pretty solid unit. The ignition barrel, isn't something ive take apart before.
    Any ideas?? Cheers Simon

key02.jpg
    key01.jpgkey03.jpg

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: key ID from a barrel?

There should be a number on the ignition key barrel. You can get a key made from that from Pete Groh. Search his name on this forum and you will find him. Alternatively, you get a key and replace the windows that work for the key divots. I could never find a key shop that would work on old British barrels, but they must be out there. I re-keyed my Austin Healey myself.

Jerry

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jerrry, many thanks for the reply. I wondered though, how can I access the barrel. The door lock is in a fairly solid box. The ignition barrel doesn't seem to want to pop out either.. Trying to figure without damaging ps this is for a rare Tippen Delta made in Coventry in 1966.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There is a hole in the side of the ignition unit and you put an awl or sharp object through that hole and press a spring, then the barrel should come out. I have to admit that usually, I have a key in the barrel to pull it out first. Since you don't have a key, that could be more problems. Since you are in England, I would think you could find a locksmith that would have experience with British cars.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jerry, Much appreciated I let you know how I get on

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There is a hole in the side of the ignition unit and you put an awl or sharp object through that hole and press a spring, then the barrel should come out. I have to admit that usually, I have a key in the barrel to pull it out first. Since you don't have a key, that could be more problems. Since you are in England, I would think you could find a locksmith that would have experience with British cars.
    To operate the release pin, don't you have to rotate the cylinder all the way one way to clear the pin?
    Depends on make and model, since all we know is "1966", here is a Sprite write-up:
    "to fit, remove & disconnect ignition switch. Use the new barrel to locate a hole (approx 2-3mm dia) in the switch body. The hole will be a similar distance as the round brass spigot is(far right in photo) from the key face. Gently push a small screw driver (or similar) into the hole to push the spigot into the old barrel. Use the key to pull the old barrel out of the switch. Insert new barrel. Reconnect and replace switch."