• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Ingnition switch key change

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My kids bought me a kit for the TR3 to go to 1 key for every lock. Nice! Beats 3 keys. Changing the wiring harness today and now wiring the ignition switch which I need to change the cylinder insert before I go any farther. Looked everywhere and now instructions on how to change. Can anyone help here?

Attachments

• ingkeytr3.jpg
    ingkeytr3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 102

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thoughtful kids! ISTR you turn the switch on and the brass pip on the lock insert will be lined up with a hole in the switch. With a small drift, push the pip down and you can pull the insert out. Replace with the new insert (with the key in it), turn 'off' and pull the key out.

Jeff

dklawson

Yoda
My experience is not with the TR2/TR3. However, other British car locks from the period that I have worked on are as Jeff described above.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ya I did my TR250 like Jeff said. There is a hole in the body but there is nothing there that I would want to push on. To me it looks like the rivets need drilled out to install. Don't want to do that until I get the proper procedure.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just figured it out. There is a lock nut on the back. Mine had some glue which hid the flats on the nut and mad it look solid. Anyway put the key in and unloosen the nut. Then pull the key out and the cylinder comes with it. Put the new key into the new cylinder and make sure everything inside is lined up. Give it a good push and put the nut on while your pushing. Don't over tighten and your done.

Attachments

• loccylindertr3.jpg
    loccylindertr3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 92

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Don't forget to re-solder the nut, or it will all spill out on the floor unexpectedly as your car rolls to a stop!

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
OOPS! It's all back together in the dash. I'll take some 2 part glue and put a drop on it. Thanks for the reminder!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
W T-Series ingnition switch removal MG 9
B Crane Cams Electronic Ingnition Austin Healey 9
S Open a ingnition key barrel to find the key number. Restoration & Tools 2
Morris 25μF capacitor—Coil On Plug ingnition Spridgets 5
B the mysterious e-type ingnition light Jaguar 9
B the mysterious e-type ingnition light Jaguar 0
Patrick67BJ8 Custom BJ8 Dash Switch Panel Austin Healey 7
R Bugeye ignition switch Spridgets 2
K TR2/3/3A Old school battery shut off switch....... Triumph 3
Patrick67BJ8 Wanted Looking for a used BJ8 switch panel. Austin Healey Classifieds 5
T TR2/3/3A Replacement Turn Signal Switch Triumph 4
F Wanted Dipping switch cap Triumph Classifieds 1
L What does this column switch do? Spridgets 4
G Brake Light Switch Failure Austin Healey 24
R Wanted Bugeye ignition switch Spridgets Classified 2
B Headlight Dip Switch Austin Healey 4
M Which wires fit which terminals on my Rover V8 ignition switch? Rover / Land Rover 6
R Electrical Experts - Vixen 2500 - Ignition Switch Observation? TVR 10
S Overdrive Throttle Switch Austin Healey 4
SherpaPilot TR6 Ignition Switch Question Triumph 13
Popeye General TR Connecting to Lucas switch grub screws? Triumph 5
C MGB-GT Reproduction light switch MG 13
timsgolf Center Dash Switch Plate Painting Austin Healey 5
adcronin For Sale MGB Turn Signal (lights, horn, indicator) Switch, New for 62-67, also Sprite MK 3 & 4, MIDGET MK 2-3 thru 67 MG Classifieds 0
R Bugeye Starter Switch Spridgets 7
B General MG Remote Starter Switch MG 6
P TR2/3/3A ignition switch smoking Triumph 12
O XKE series 2 thermo fan switch bung stud repair. Jaguar 9
6 E-Type brake light pressure switch location Jaguar 5
C TR6 Ignition Switch for 1972 TR6 Triumph 1
Bocaray TR2/3/3A Headlight Dimmer conversion to dash switch Triumph 6
K TR2/3/3A The two wires that go to the brake light stop switch junction......... Triumph 1
algot1901 1950 Prefect Ign Switch Other British Cars 1
S TR2/3/3A What temperature of electric fan switch do you use in your radiator? Triumph 3
J TR2/3/3A Early Lucas Ignition Switch Triumph 4
69MGC T-Series Never thought I'd switch MG 5
jlaird MGB ignition switch MG 2
F Wanted Foot Dipping switch Triumph Classifieds 0
K TR2/3/3A Dimmer switch.....any electricians out there? Triumph 5
M TR6 Mystery Switch Triumph 0
H MGB 1980 mgb no power from ignition switch MG 23
Gliderman8 TR6 Handbrake warning lamp switch build Triumph 14
old sub sailor Ignition switch / steering lock replacement in a '78 midget Spridgets 5
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
S Indicator / Horn Switch Austin Healey 10
nichola TR6 Rebuilder or replace wiper switch? Triumph 7
longbridgehealey Bugeye combination switch Spridgets 2
gbtr6 Wanted: '96 LHD Drivers side master window switch panel. Jaguar Classifieds 0
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Remote brake light switch Triumph 5
longbridgehealey Bugeye ignition switch Spridgets 4