• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wood TR3 dash

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
I'd like to make a wood dash for my 3A. Not veneer, but a solid one. Does anyone know where I can find a pattern f? I don't want to remove my dash beore I complete th project.
Russ

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Here's one I had a hand in making in River Redgum Australian hardwood. A metal dash was used as a pattern then a cabinetmaker cut the profile from a flitch of timber and radiused edges. I had to cut out a matching rear stiffening plate from a sheet of aluminium to avoid the risk of breakage at the thin sections around the gauge plate. It was fixed on the back of the timber with countersunk screws. From memory there were a few challenges fitting the gauge plate due to the extra thickness, also the O/D toggle switch.

We finished it in matte clear varnish to enhance the patterns in the timber. Bit different but it seems to attract favourable comment.

https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/copelandk2.htm

Regards,

Viv.

OP
Lukens

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Viv,
After thinking this over, and messaging with Marv, I've decided not to build an all wood dash. Too many weak areas.
Russ

Here's one I had a hand in making in River Redgum Australian hardwood. A metal dash was used as a pattern then a cabinetmaker cut the profile from a flitch of timber and radiused edges. I had to cut out a matching rear stiffening plate from a sheet of aluminium to avoid the risk of breakage at the thin sections around the gauge plate. It was fixed on the back of the timber with countersunk screws. From memory there were a few challenges fitting the gauge plate due to the extra thickness, also the O/D toggle switch.

We finished it in matte clear varnish to enhance the patterns in the timber. Bit different but it seems to attract favourable comment.

https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/copelandk2.htm

Regards,

Viv.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Besides haveing too many weak areas, a wood dash in a side screen car is just plain ugly!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

I didn't want to say that, but I do agree with you. It's out of place on a sidescreen TR.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Of course many purists don't agree with timber dashes and I've seen some shockers, but the late original owner of the white TR2 was an eccentric. Not many TR's have wire wheels on the front and steel wheels on the back !. Ken was also handicapped with just one and a half legs. His throttle leg from the knee down was a stick with a timber foot inside a normal shoe, but he drove extremely safely with regard to other road users. To Ken, his white long door TR2 was an expression of the way he saw things as a fine artist. His other car, a dark BRG TR3A, was completely original, other than one small tweak - shiraz red wire wheels !.

Sidescreen TR's, especially long door TR2's, were Ken's life. Over the years he encouraged many owners to complete their rebuilds, often providing parts gratis from his huge stash. He was my great friend of 20 years and the memorial touring weekend I established in his honour is always well attended as the opening event of the TR year in our State.

Viv.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Of course many purists don't agree with timber dashes and I've seen some shockers, but the late original owner of the white TR2 was an eccentric. Not many TR's have wire wheels on the front and steel wheels on the back !. Ken was also handicapped with just one and a half legs. His throttle leg from the knee down was a stick with a timber foot inside a normal shoe, but he drove extremely safely with regard to other road users. To Ken, his white long door TR2 was an expression of the way he saw things as a fine artist. His other car, a dark BRG TR3A, was completely original, other than one small tweak - shiraz red wire wheels !.

Sidescreen TR's, especially long door TR2's, were Ken's life. Over the years he encouraged many owners to complete their rebuilds, often providing parts gratis from his huge stash. He was my great friend of 20 years and the memorial touring weekend I established in his honour is always well attended as the opening event of the TR year in our State.

Viv.

Great background Viv- and looking at the car with wires in front and spats in back I would very much have liked to have met Ken, I appreciate the artistry and engineering solution there. I like the use of the 69 TR6 wheel as well, just my opinion but I think the best looking steering wheel they put on the 6's.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Wires all around and a timber dash on my only side screen.

firstcar.jpg

croz

Country flag
When I bought my '60 TR3A, from Arizona in 2006, it came with a full wood dash installed. It was in rough shape so it was the first part to hit the trash. It may have been made commercially as it had a well constructed steel backing plate that also acted as a ground plane for the instruments. My point is that it looks like there was a company supplying wooden dashes in the past.
Personally I'm not fond of the look. However I do appreciate good construction.
Steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I appreciate the artistry and engineering solution there.
Me too. Not exactly to my taste, but there is no way I would call that "ugly". Ken sounds like special person, I'm sorry to have never met him.