• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wood Pieces in the TR3

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
JP asked me to show the prep work I did to prepare a number of pieces prior to chemical stripping the car. Because of the high temperatures used in the dipping process, a number of wooden pieces have to be removed before this step can happen...

1) Doors - the top of the door contains a fairly hefty piece of wood that has to be removed. Generally straight forward, unless a few screws don't co-operate...

68860-m-0.jpg

The top edge of the wooden door piece uses nails to hold it. Use a combination of a screwdriver and side cutters to wiggle the old nails free....

68861-m-0.jpg

68862-m-0.jpg

Great - a really stuck screw - take your dremel, and recut the screwdriver slot...

68863-m-0.jpg

And then a bit of help from the vice grips....

68864-m-0.jpg

After all the screws are removed, the piece should come out with a bit of wiggling...

68859-m-0.jpg

2) On to the scuttle (or dash or cowl)support. This wood piece is fairly complex, and is critical to stiffen the front edge of the scuttle. It is located up underneath the dash. Mine was cracked so had to come out anyway for repair. It's held in by a number of screws and fasteners, but despite it's 50 year age, detaches fairly easily as it probably hasn't been exposed to the elements, ...

68869-m-0.jpg

Here is my piece out of the car with the numerous metal pieces and tabs cleaned up and the wood re-glued and pinned..

68867-m-0.jpg

3) Finally, 2 small pieces located behind the doors, used to attach the trim....straighten the retaining tabs with a pair of needle nose pliers, and the pieces pull out.

68868-m-0.jpg

That's about it. Remove these pieces and you are ready to have your car dipped!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What is the VIN? It may not have had them. I've got mine out now that I could trace a pattern so you could build one.

Paul

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Great pics! Can anyone say when the wood changes might have occured?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that the wood disappeared post TS60,000. The pieces in the B pillar stayed.

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I don't know whats in your Bpost but mine isn't wood. It looks like some sisal or twisted natural material of some sort. I left mine in but had to relocate the panel screws a bit to get some new purchase.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think the scuttle piece disappeared before TS60000. My car is TS45000ish, and it has the wood for the doors but not in the scuttle.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Mine is a post 60000 commission car and has only a few wood pieces. So that would tend to agree with Art's assessment.

Tinkerman

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
ekamm said:
I don't know whats in your Bpost but mine isn't wood. It looks like some sisal or twisted natural material of some sort...

Yes it is wierd stuff. Mine definitely needs replacing - it's pretty beat up looking and the right side tapers out to nothing - is an inch or so shorter than the left.

I was going to replace it with a fitted piece of pine but wasn't sure if that would be the best way to go or not. Anybody have any better ideas?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mine came new with the round wound up sisal rope in the "B" posts when new. I used soft pine for both the early and for the late TR3As that I restored. Works better and secures the tiny #4 slotted screws much better. You can hold them in with the same tabs you bend into place, But mine all broke of so I had to MIG weld new tabs to retain the pine strips. But I suppose the pine pieces could be glued to stay there.

Attachments

• 21538.jpg
    21538.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 206

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow...lots of good ideas coming from the group...I have left a few messages err phone calls for a guy that had a parts car, so to speak. I think I will find a lot more issues along this same line in my rebuild. I hope he calls me back.

Regards,
JP