• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What Paint/Color to use?

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Alright guys, I plan to do the painting myself as I have a decent amount of experience. However, I decided to try and do a good quality job on this one and need some help.

First off, I plan to paint the car <span style="font-weight: bold">red</span> (not by choice), and have had some troubles finding the correct reds for 1962, I usually use TCP Global, but they only have the chips for thru 58 and 63 on.

https://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1959-ahmg-pg06.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone know where else to get the colors?</span> Also, what paint do you prefer? I was thinking PPG Omni since TCP charges $800 a gallon for the PPG Deltron. Where does everyone buy their paint from?

<span style="font-weight: bold">I also plan to use a lacquer paint since that is what was used at the time</span> (from what I have read, correct me if I'm wrong). I've never used lacquer before and was curious if anyone has experience.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
RyanBez said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Does anyone know where else to get the colors?</span> Also, what paint do you prefer? I was thinking PPG Omni since TCP charges $800 a gallon for the PPG Deltron. Where does everyone buy their paint from?

<span style="font-weight: bold">I also plan to use a lacquer paint since that is what was used at the time</span> (from what I have read, correct me if I'm wrong). I've never used lacquer before and was curious if anyone has experience.
Lacquer is going the way of the Dodo here in the east, if you can still get it....pile it on. Lots of sanding between coats, but what a finish. PPG Omni is for and should only be used to sell a car. It looks great the first year, and then, The color dies back really quickly. If you are going to keep the car, and do it yourself, consider going base/clear. Great color choices, color retention, and protection from the clearcoat. If you do it yourself, the color will go on so well you get fooled into thinking you can paint. Make sure you have lots of lighting when you spray the clear, do not plow it on, or you will see runs like you get at Maaco.I recommend Dupont.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
I do like the Dupont base/clear finish.
With proper blocking and sanding it looks
mirror like. When you look at the car some of the
colors come from the reflections.
Pictures don't do justice to how shiny it looks.
Not original but it sure looks good.
Just back from paint pic.

Attachments

• 25743.jpg
    25743.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 25744.jpg
    25744.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 229
Country flag
I've used this base/clear system: https://www.matrixsystem.com/ At the time, it was affordable and yielded good results following instructions from their tech-sheets.

kalist

I have used omni in the past and would not recommend it. It is less expensive but you get what you pay for. Does not cover well. You will use more material with omni than with a paint such as ppg concept. A good base clear system also works well. If you are at the point of paint you no doubt have many hours of labor in prep and I know that budget limits are some times a consideration but paint is one place I would not shortcut.

OP
R

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the heads up on the Omni. Since the car is so small and the high end stuff covers better, is 2 qts of paint enough to cover a car?

Also, where else do you get your paints mixed at?

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
I used the PPG Deltron base coat and Concept urethane clear coat on my last Mini and it gave a great finish and was easy to use. I painted an old TR3 in lacquer years back, loaned it to my father-in-law for 10 years, got it back and buffed it out and it polished up beautifully. Lacquer is nice but I think it is hard to beat the newer paints. On the other hand, I think they are much more toxic and perhaps harder to paint well in a home garage than lacquer. Jim

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with the new water based base/clear paint we have to use in good old California?
Scott in CA

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A bugeye including the engine room and the bottom will take a gal.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Local PPG supplier got the codes from TCP Global to mix me up this Leaf Green. Took two quarts of color for inside and outside of the bonnet and the door jams and outside of the car. Wish I had gotten 3 quarts with the mix run. Oh well.

Attachments

• 25753.jpg
    25753.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 142

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
RyanBez said:
Thanks for the heads up on the Omni. Since the car is so small and the high end stuff covers better, is 2 qts of paint enough to cover a car?

Also, where else do you get your paints mixed at?
Two quarts is plenty of color for base clear, if you go Concept, or Imron, maybe order three to be sure to have enough to build/cover. Mils/coats = protection. The picture/avatar to the left is Duponts 1969 Jaguar red, base/clear. Taken two years ago right after painting.PS; I sell Dupont paint and mix my own.

Country flag
Not sure what your level of experience is, but IMO you should use a dark colored sealer to be sure the red top coat is a nice even color.