• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint question...Same Body Color or Change Color?

Renoman

The TR I have was originally Jasmine and is now painted a GM code 11 white. The engine compartment is still yellow with some oversprayed white on all of the engine compartment edges. Obviously an attempt to make the outside of the car look good. The interior is still entirely yellow. I plan on driving the car for awhile since the white is in ok condition. My question is...does a color change affect value on these cars? I like the maroon and navy blue colors of the TRs. I do my own body and paint work and have done complete color changes on other cars which makes recognizing what the original color was very difficult unless panels or carpet is removed.

While I am currently working of the removed windscreen frame, crashpads, dash support and new dashboard I notice that body color is under the dash. I noticed on some websites that the owner has painted the engine comparment black regardless of the body color. Is there any real reason why I couldn't repaint under the dash and in the engine compartment a different color. Actually, the under dash color being yellow does make working under the dash much easier because of the contrasting background. Black would make everything hard to see. White would probably be the best color regardless if I painted the floors, trunk, engine compartment, etc. with body color.

Thanks for reading my post, any comments are appreciated.

Art

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does changing the body color affect value? Your car has already passed out of the realm of "original/unrestored," so that value has already been lost. That leaves value to you. Paint it the color you want it to be and it increases the value to you.

The engine compartment was originally painted the same as the rest of the car. When I repainted mine, I painted the engine compartment white, using the logic you cited. I look at my old car with old eyes, and I wanted all the light I could get reflected around in there, to make working on it easier. Original? Stock? No. What I wanted? Yes! Good value to me.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Art - I don't think keeping everything strictly original is going to make much of an impact on value at this point. Making everything "nice" and well presented will have a far bigger impact I'd say. Given that you are going to keep and enjoy her for a while I'd also vote to go in a direction that makes her easy to live with.

FYI - I used to live up in Caughlin Ranch. I miss it up there...

OP
R

Renoman

Thanks for the replies. At some point I'll repaint it and probably do as you guys suggested, a new color that I like but probably a stock color.

tdskip...
Any suggestions on where to hook up with some other owners here in Reno. I'm a wrencher and enjoy spending time fixing other's cars too.

Art

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Art - not really sure. I wasn't "afflicted" with the TR sickness until we moved to SoCal, but I'd just keep an eye out here for other local folks. I know the Sacramento clubs are busy, so that might be an option on finding other folks in the greater Truckee/Reno/Carson area...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
racingenglishcars said:
If you want an European vacation, you can always work on some of my cars.

Put me up in your garage, and I'll be there! :laugh: After the cars are fixed, we can cruise around Europe...maybe make a stop in Westvleteren, Belguim and pick up some of those Trappist beers. :thirsty: What good beers do you have in Denmark?? I never run across any Danish beers here in the states.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
As they said, do what makes you happy and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. It is YOUR car, so spend YOUR time and money as YOU see fit.

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Art,

Your canvas is your car. Don't go crazy, but the color is up to you. There are a zillion red LBC's. I am going to decide the color of Nigel as we approach the finish line. He was originally Signal Red but I am leaning toward a blue.

Relax and enjoy,

Cheers,

Steve

OP
R

Renoman

It's great to hear that changing colors isn't a bad thing. I was also thinking of Mimosa. I've seen that Summit has a paint system that seems priced right and comes in a bunch of hotrod colors including a bright yellow. Hmmmmm...

Art

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Art,

Go to google and check out British Steel. A great restorer in Central California, Rick Rogers, has done a beautiful bright yellow TR3.

Good luck with YOUR decision,

Cheers,

Steve

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
As always, i am somewhat opinionated, soooo
I like the car to have the same colour under the hood, inside the car, and outside the car. To me, if i see a different colour under the hood or inside the car,(or in the boot/trunk) it turns me off.
I am not offended by a total, body off, strip and repaint entire car a different colour than original, but i HATE a paint chip that shows a different colour underneath.
Personal favorite is valencia blue with tr250 silver stripe and silver "minilites"
I am however keeping the original 1962 tr4 british racing green, red interior with white piping and white top on my own car (but with white roll bar,white wheels, white racing stripes and red engine).
Rob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
trfourtune said:
I like the car to have the same colour under the hood, inside the car, and outside the car. To me, if i see a different colour under the hood or inside the car,(or in the boot/trunk) it turns me off.
I am however keeping the original 1962 tr4 british racing green, red interior with white piping and white to
Wow, for someone who likes the colors to match, you sure have a colorful car!
:laugh:

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
yup.
not too many 4's that came original in brg, red interior, white top. looks good with the original white dash face also.
Rob

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
trfourtune said:
yup.
not too many 4's that came original in brg, red interior, white top. looks good with the original white dash face also.
Rob

Hmmmm... Christmas Trees Comes to mind!

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
trfourtune said:
I am however keeping the original 1962 tr4 british racing green, red interior with white piping and white top on my own car....
Ooh, that brings back memories of the only TR4 I ever had. Same combo, plus (from the factory) wire wheels, Michelin X tires and overdrive gearbox. Unfortunately, by the time I got it, it was little more than rust occasionally joined together in spots with duct tape and Bondo...and, notably, a genuine "Factory Rebuilt Exchange" engine. Made for a great parts car....

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
martx-5 said:
What good beers do you have in Denmark?? I never run across any Danish beers here in the states.
Sorry I took so long to get back. The main exports to US;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuborg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsberg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Unibrew (Ceres, Royal, Faxi, Albani)
I actually ran across some Royal Beer in Ulsan S.Korea.

Other good locals are too many to list here, just see:
"Denmark has one of the most dynamic and exciting beer cultures in Europe."
https://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/denbrew.htm

My favourite
https://www.noerrebrobryghus.dk/
just because they are nearly across the street.