• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

touch up paint, . dry time affect on color

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have bought two mixes of touch up paint that when wet is a perfect match. But once dry, they get darker and don't match. It is a bit cold out these days, will that affect the tint on drying? I took them a body piece to match paint but so far, not a good match.

Jerry

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Jerry,
Is it possible that you sre using a paint that requires a clear coat? Many modern touch-up paints do, and if you have ever seen what it looks like when the clear coat peels off a finish it is generally darker looking and not much of a match. Ask the paint guys.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jerry
It sounds like you did not get a good match. Next time you have paint matched, request a painted sample of the matched paint. It is impossible to judge the quality of the match by comparing the liquid paint to a painted part.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This paint does require a clear coat but that does not lighten the color to make a match. I think it is back to the store for another mix.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I didn't see what color you are trying to match.

If the color contains metallic, the actual resulting color depends greatly on the application method. Whether the metallic particles end up standing up or laying flat. Also how an upper coat "melts" into the previous coat. Even the primer color can affect the final color.

Brushing will give an entirely different color. Spraying multiple very light coats will give a much lighter color than will wet coats. With wet coats, the metallic tends to lay flatter before the paint sets. Spray angle & pressure even affect the final color.

If you are doing small areas an air brush may be better than brush.
D

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don't hesitate to take the mix back. Any decent paint shop can tweak it for a better match. I never leave the store until I have looked at a dried sample in the sun.

Marv J

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
No metallic, it is RED. I tried to pick a red that had paint rattle cans at Kragen but seem to have picked one that is no longer produced. I will take the cans back and see if they can do better. I need to paint some blank covers this weekend. I am trying to get the heater working in my garage first so my wife will continue to help me.

Jerry

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
If you don't have spray equipment, checkout the "Preval Sprayer" at one of your local hardware stores. Cheap & pretty good for small jobs.

Red is also not an easy color to match. Get a good auto paint store to match a sample of your color & get a pint for future touchups. Noticed that you are in Cal. Maybe not so easy to get the right paint.

When I recently had my new hood painted, base - clear coat, the color matched in sunlight but had a blue cast under fluorescent lights. Three months later the color matches perfectly under both types of light.

By all means fix the heat. Neither wives nor paint work well when cold.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Thanks,
A few years ago, Michael Oritt & I got the tops from NICAL Engineering - UK. It is a shortened version of the later model top. First one I have found for the early cars that had the right, to me, proportions & shape. I liked Michael's so well that I ordered one a couple of months later.

The finish is the original "Old English White" gel coat which was so good that it didn't require overpainting. Just a good buffing.

A concession to my old age & aversion to spending all day in the blazing sun in my part of the country. Very snug & warm in the winter also.
D

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have a hardtop for my BN4. It is nice to be out of the sun sometimes and looks good on the car.

By the way, I just experimented with my spray paint. As I put more coats of paint on my trial part, the color gets lighter. I have never seen this happen, but the tint is getting close to ok for touch up paint. I had used an acid primer underneath the color coat. I wonder if that acid paint had some affect on the final coat. I am going to let this dry for 2 hours and then try a clear coat on top.

Might just have the solution!

Jerry

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I hope you have a solution.

Light or dark colored primer will certainly affect the final shade on some paints, & sometimes requires a thicker color coat.
D