• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DON'T TOUCH THAT HEATER VALVE- a repair if you did

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
So have you had that sickening feeling when the little handle snaps off your heater valve? We all know better than to tempt fate by turning it, but it is awfully hard to resist. Here's a repair you might try:

1) This is what you have when you take the valve apart. It is really simple.

2) Carefully drill directly into the broken off handle. I drilled a hole using a 3/64" drill bit, drilling directly into the handle 15 mm.

3) Drill a similar hole into the valve itself, so that it will align with the hole you just drilled in the handle. I drilled this one about 10 mm in depth.

4) Now break off your drill bit the total length of both holes (in my case, 25 mm). I used the based of the drill bit for extra strength. (Note: You don't have to sacrifice the drill bit if you use a metal rod the same diameter as the drill bit. In fact, the repair may be more durable with a different metal rod- drill bit material is rather brittle)

5) You are going to insert the broken drill bit (or metal rod) into the valve, then slide the handle on the piece of bit projecting out. I mixed up JB Weld and put in both holes to hold everything in place.

6) Tighten down in a vise to make sure everything is seated well. Wipe off the excess JB Weld before it sets up to keep the neat appearance.

7) I reassembled the valve (and applied faucet and valve grease to the moving parts of the valve) and reinstalled. Works like a charm and looks as good as new. Plus it preserves the original part, and saves $115 by not having to buy a replacement.

Now, remember to never try to turn it again!

(Sometimes I think I should have gone to dental school.)

Best to all, Jeff

richberman

Jedi Warrior
Jeff,
I went to dental school and I think you did a fine job. Not sure I would have sacrificed the good drill bit though when any piece of steel would have sufficed....but then you would have had to go out and buy some steel rod. :wink:
rich

AHS3903

Freshman Member
Excellent repair ... One suggestion is to use a softer piece of metal than a drill bit. Drill bits are very hard and brittle. If the valve jams again and the drill bit gets broken it will be very difficult to remove, although heating may be an option. Maybe a piece of brazing rod would be a better material.

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
AHS3903 said:
Excellent repair ... One suggestion is to use a softer piece of metal than a drill bit. Drill bits are very hard and brittle. If the valve jams again and the drill bit gets broken it will be very difficult to remove, although heating may be an option. Maybe a piece of brazing rod would be a better material.

Thanks Mike. That is an excellent suggestion- in fact, I went back and edited my original post accordingly.

Best regards, Jeff

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My heater valves has seized and only yesterday I gave it a good twist with pliers but it still refused to budge. I think this post gives me a good idea of what to expect if I had been tempted to give it a little more force.

Who needs a working heater anyway?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good job. A hard brass screw can also be used and locked in place with low temperature silver bearing solder.--Fwiw--Keoke

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Somewhere I got a replacement handle, but I don't recall where now.

BUT, before trying to turn the heater valve, give the plug (the part that the handle attaches to) a tap on the other end from the handle. That will loosen the plug so it will turn.

Attachments

• 27165.pdf
    108.1 KB · Views: 148

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My heater valve also wouldn't budge. And whether it is a good idea or not, I had used PB Blaster on mine and with a little patience the valve worked just fine.

As for inserting a material like a drill bit, if you can get a material like piano wire, via through a good hobby store (and available in all sorts of different sizes), that too, would certainly hold up.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah that can unfreeze it. Similarly, using a large pair of wire cutters with the cutting side up under the knob on the handle can allow you pries the handle assy up and then allow you to turn it.--Fwiw-Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice repair Jeff, well presented. I would have to offer a counter viewpoint. Now that you have the part well lubricated you should practice operating it from time to time to keep it from getting "stuck".

IMHO

AH3000MkIII

Or if you are really lucky you can find something like this, poorly listed on ebay a couple of years back, I think it cost me around £10-15 !!!

heatertap.jpg

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Lucky is right! That is a thing of beauty.

By the way,does yours have "off" and "on" stamped on the front edge beneath the handle? Mine does- didn't realize it until cleaning up around the valve.

Jeff

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you look at the bottom of the valve you will notice that there is a small spring on the end. This valve is a tapered plug valve. If you tap the bottom end lightly before you try to turn it you will raise the plug up in its body a tiny bit and it should rotate. Have a good day!

John

AH3000MkIII

Fairview said:
Lucky is right! That is a thing of beauty.

By the way,does yours have "off" and "on" stamped on the front edge beneath the handle? Mine does- didn't realize it until cleaning up around the valve.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes it does have the on / off markings, not that you would be able to see them when the valve is installed!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
AH3000MkIII said:
Or if you are really lucky you can find something like this, poorly listed on ebay a couple of years back, I think it cost me around £10-15 !!!

heatertap.jpg

There is a nice one on US E Bay now

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just drilled out the broken end, threaded the hole, and then threaded some rod stock and screwed it in. I took some time to grind and shape the shaft to look like the original.