• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint Color

AnkwizTR3a

Freshman Member
I am just about ready for paint, does anyone have any suggestions on color. Is there any color that sells better than the others, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are you painting to sell, or are you keeping the beast?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Barrett-Jackson Red is a safe bet.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
:iagree: ...if all you're worried about is resale value. Of course, BRG, white and black almost always work towards that end as well.

Otherwise, a: find a color you like; then b: play with PhotoShop or Paint or a b/w outline and Crayolas, or surf the web for pictures...or whatever you can do to see what your chosen color looks like on the car.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Depends on the car. My personal favorites for the Triumph Line are as follows (I'm NOT gonna list them all!), and they seems to match the top selling prices.

Spitfire - White or Red, yellow is hit/miss. Racing Stripes, done right, does not devalue, like White with 2 red racing stripes, or red with 2 white. If stripes are done, do not off-set or do a single off-center stripe, as it makes it much harder to sell.

TR6 - Light Blue (French Racing Blue?), British Racing Green, Yellow

TR4 - Light Blue (FRB) or BRG

TR3 - Off White (egg shell), Red, FRB, BRG, Black. Black with red interior seems to sell for highest, followed close by off white w/ tan. Very classy combos!

TR2 - Same as TR3, but factory shades only.

TR7/8 - Bright Colors. Dark ones sell for peanuts. White is hit/miss

PeterK

Yoda
I saw a stunning grey TR3A years ago that pushed me into buying my first TR. The 3A was in a grassy field or on a knoll somewhere. It as a lighter-to-medium color gray with a red interior that just drew me in.

Now we own a TR3A. It's signal red with black and it's a good combination if you like red. Red is also good with saddle interior IMO.

OP
A

AnkwizTR3a

Freshman Member
thanks for the input - my goal here is to drive the car for a bit and then sell - I'm leaning towards the gray w/ red interior. thanks for all your advice.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice, but didn't sell though...reserve not met.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Hatman

Sorry, used the term "sold" instead of "the listing ended." Really just posted the link as it had multiple pictures of the color combination the OP was interested in, rather than as any sort of barometer of market value.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello all

Does anyone know the paint codes or name for the "off white/eggshell" paint to which Pete refers? I tried a sample of Old English White that was made up in PPG paint but it was too bright a white - didn't have enough cream color for my tastes. I am looking for an original (or somewhat close to original) paint color for my TR3A.

Thanks

Pat

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pat -

I did my '57 in Pearl White, which is closer to a cream color. Was very happy with it and the red interior.

The code turned out to match a Toyota color. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

Mickey

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a link to some color charts for Triumph that might help.

Bill Piggot's book has Pearl White (a warm yellowish white) up 'til Sept. '58 (approx. TS37000). After that, they list Sebring White (a cold blueish white).

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The PPG code for Pearl White is 8204. You might want to have your local store mix a sample up for you to see if it's what you want.

Mickey

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Art and Mickey

My "59" TR3A is TS38XXX so it must be an early 59. The Pearl White might do the trick. If you come across paint codes, let me know. Even better if Toyota as my local paint guy can surely make that. I recently purchased paint for my Camry bumper repaint job at Sherwin Williams. Was good stuff and made my amateur painting skills actually look decent!

Pat

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Mickey
Sorry, our posts were "two ships passing in the night"

Regards,

Pat

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I think I have some old pictures of the TR3 on the other computer. Will check and if so, shoot them to you.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Mickey

Original Paint and Equipment in Sacramento can mix this up in Single Stage or Base Coat. I'm going to pick up a pint of single stage and spray a couple panels and see how she looks. $19 a pint isn't bad to try out this PPG Omni paint.

Pat

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Check your email...

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
For re-sale, stay with an original colour combination. The interior should also be a colour that came with paint colour chosen. Do not paint the engine bay a different colour or the inside of the boot (trunk). That being said, the colour that attracts most people is red with black interior. Boring, I know, but most people are attracted to this, so it draws the largest audience.
IMHO
Rob
ps-if you change the colour of a car, strip the entire car of any evidence of a different colour (everywhere-inside doors,underneath,etc)). I ALWAYS walk away from a car that has evidence of a spray-over colour change.