• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A silver color paint on tr3

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi all does anybody know if triumph used a silver color paint on the 1961 tr3 or does anybody have a link that shows the actual paint colors for a tr3a. I saw in Bill P. book that they did use silver for the wheels and that there was a silver/ gray color. I am trying to decide what color and was leaning toward silver with black interior. I like the silver look because it reminds me of those pictures of the early sixties with those bare metal looking cars. I presume they were painted aluminum color or something.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
From what I have gleaned from reading and looking at pictures, the closest thing to a metallic color would be the Argent Silver used on the wheels. This same color was used on some TR7s as a body color, the 7s being the only ones to come in factory metallics. kodanja's link shows a Silverstone Grey, but I'm pretty sure that refers to the race course.
The most important thing is that it's your car and you can paint it any darn color you want. Let the Q-tip and armorall crowd stew in their own brew.
One last note, the German racing color was (is?)a silver and that might have influenced something somewhere.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Dale said:
One last note, the German racing color was (is?)a silver and that might have influenced something somewhere.

Supposedly, back in the early '30s when Mercedes was racing, there was a MAXIMUM weight of 750 kg on the grand prix cars. The Mercedes weighed in at 751 kg. They scraped all of the white paint off the cars to get under the max weight, with the resulting bare aluminium showing. That was the start of the German racing silver cars. :thumbsup:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Dale said:
...kodanja's link shows a Silverstone Grey, but I'm pretty sure that refers to the race course....
Silverstone Grey (actually mislabeled on an ACME paint chart of the period as "Silvertone Grey") was somewhat popular on the TR3 circa 1958-60. It was NOT a metallic color. It's a very nice color, though, and much lighter than the Phantom Grey used on other Standards and Triumphs of the period.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
Dale said:
...kodanja's link shows a Silverstone Grey, but I'm pretty sure that refers to the race course....
Silverstone Grey (actually mislabeled on an ACME paint chart of the period as "Silvertone Grey") was somewhat popular on the TR3 circa 1958-60. It was NOT a metallic color. It's a very nice color, though, and much lighter than the Phantom Grey used on other Standards and Triumphs of the period.

AND everyone knows that Silverstone Grey is an awesome color!!! :yesnod:

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
There's a chap in California who liked metallic silver, even though it was not an original colour.

Attachments

• 15112.jpg
    15112.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 239
D

DougF

Classic Motorsport or British Car Magazine, which ever it was at the time, had an article several years ago on the TR3 bodied Francorchamp. The one in the article was silver. Whether it was the original color I don't remember. It probably wasn't painted at Coventry.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok, there is always the CKD pass on originality. Completely Knocked Down/cars sent overseas unassembled were often painted whatever the purchaser desired and some assembled cars were ordered and delivered in primer (would be noted on the build sheet) to be painted by the dealer.
Silver looks good on a TR3.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi all and thank you for your help. Don that silver one is just like I was thinking about. I just could not rap my mind around the color scheme. I am still having a tough time with color choice. How does someone see a color like Silverstone Grey? Do they take the paint number into the body shop? Does anyone have a picture of Silverstone Grey on a car? I looked around, but I cannot find the picture I am looking for. Is there a web page that shows the colors?

TEXAS_TR3A

Country flag
Silverstone Gray looks great on a TR3 in my opinion. I looked at one out in Washington D.C. about 3 years ago that was owned by someone in the DuPont family. Had Panasports on it that looked really sharp with the paint color, along with a black interior. Had it not been for the poor rust repair job done in the trunk, rockers, and floorboards it would be in my garage right now. I liked it because I had never seen another in that combination.