• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Water Temp Sensor Fitting on Radiator

ronzet

Jedi Knight
I have a pre-C.E.68000 1958 BN4 with a temp gauge sensor that fits into the radiator... I have a replacement radiator that does not have the fitting...

Could someone with that ventage of BN4 provide information on the where the fitting should be brazed and what the routing of the sensor wire should take under the bonnet?

I THINK that the fitting should be on the right side of the top radiator tank and the routing should be on the left side going to the fitting in the front of the radiator BUT want to make sure before I take the radiator to the shop to have the fitting brazed in...

Thanks...

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ron , if you can wait 'til tomorrow I can measure my radiator and give you pretty accurate spacing for the fitting. Ironically, I have the radiator you should have but I'm using the sensor mounted on the engine, near the top water hose, as the dual gauge I am using does not fit the radiator bung! Bob

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Bob,

Thanks for the note and the offer. If it weren't such a pain I would offer a swap...

I plan on taking the radidator to a shop later this week so if you get a chance the measurements would be greatly appreciated... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Ron,

The Anderson/Moment book says (page 82), "On cars with the IC endgines, the temperature sensor screwed into an opening in the underside of the radiator top tank. On later engines, this opening was plugged with a screw-on cap."

The measurement on my BJ7 radiator is 2.6" from the right hand side of the tank to the center of the fitting. Let me know if you need a picture.

Cheers,
John

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
John,

Thanks for the info.

A picture would be wonderful. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Also if you could take a shot of the routing of the sensor wire that would also help immensely...

And by the way... If you happen to have an outside door handle laying around, uninstalled, a picture of that would be great. I have another post about that issue.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Ron,

Here's the sensor location. I don't know the routing for the BN4 .. mine goes to the sensor block location near the thermostat housing.

sensor_dim.jpg

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Wow, John...

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks...

I will look thorugh my files to see if I can find an engine compartment picture for one of my vintage....

Thanks again... I owe ya' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Since I said I'd reply I am even though you have solved the problem. On my radiator the fitting is directly in line with the upper hose and midway front to rear on the bottom surface of the tank extension. Bob (Yep, it would be over kill shipping two radiators 3000 miles for the sake of a fitting).

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. THis is a great forum and is a wealth of advice from those 'who have been there'. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

My radiator is now at a shop and I am awaiting its return... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As for the swapping... Let's see, $150 dollars in shipping apiece for a $5 fitting, ahhhh, naw... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
So, OK...

I just got a call from my radiator guy who is having a problem finding a suitable female connector to weld into the radiator...

Anyone have a recommendation for where and what I can get for this problem???

Thanks in advance

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Ahhh, Never mind... He found one.. THanks anyway.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif