• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

next dismantle question - water temp sender

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Took the dashboard off last night, actually easier than I thought it would be, BUT it's still attached to the car by the water temp sender wire. How do I disconnect it at the gauge end? I can't get the screw under the wire to turn, though I've loosened the second screw. So, I sit with a screw loose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif awaiting your answer.

JP

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Man I'm probably not the one to say with certainty but isn't that guage mechanical? What I'm saying is that may not be a wire but instead it is a small tube filled with a low flashpoint liquid similar to alcohol. If it is copper looking and has what looks to be a spring around it, be careful with it. Don't try to take it out of the guage and don't kink it. You will probably have to take the temp sensor out of the engine and thread it back through. I don't know for sure but will check this afternoon on my 76 once I take care of some domestic things first...lol
JC

It most likely is mechanical. Loosen the nut on the block end , it and the bulb you will see once you have removed it are one piece. The nut is part of the assembly. it captures the bulb and will slide up and down on the tube. Carefully thread it back thu the hole in the firewall. DO NOT cut ,crimp, bend, kink, or fold. once you have it all (usually about 6 feet) you may carefully coil it up and wire tire it securely.

mark

dklawson

Yoda
I had the same thought as the others. If the "wire" between the temp gauge and the sender is heavy and wrapped with what appears to be a spring DO NOT do anything to the tube or try to disconnect this at the gauge. It must be disconnected at the engine end by removing the sending bulb from the head. It's acutally a mechanical gauge with a fluid/gas in the tube and bulb. Cut it and you'll need to replace it. Rebuilding is very expensive. (i.e. To rebuild a dual oil pressure/water temp gauge costs about $160). You'll see a lot of dead temperature gauge on eBay where a well meaning person has cut the tube.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thank you thank you, I followed your advaice and it's all good.

JP (and the dashboard is free!)

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi JP, the others are correct, that gauge is mechanical, so that's a capillary tube connecting the sender, not a wire. I had to replace the whole gauge on mine since it was broken off at the sender /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

as a side note to the dual gage thing. i just installed a dual gage on my 79 1500. works great. all you need is the adapter from a 1275.

mark

Gunner

JP
You can test the guage on the car or off... Just dip the bulb end into a cup full of hot water... above 120 degrees.. and watch the guage respond in kind..

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I'm bringing up an old topic but I ran into trouble today. I was taking the water temp sensor out of the thermostat housing and all was well till I went to put it back in. It leaks around the sensing line now. My question is, does the bulb and the nut make the sealing surface or is the metal sleeve supposed to be a part of it. My metal sleeve that seems to keep the spring around the line from rubbing on the bulb pulls in and out of the nut freely. I've attached a picture. Please pay no mind to the blue silicon attempt, I must have been sniffing too much glue or something..lol
JC

Attachments

• 139263-WaterTempSensor_small.JPG
    139263-WaterTempSensor_small.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 104

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
My A series egine has an adaptor that screws into the head and provides a seat for the tempreature bulb to seal against. The nut on the temperature sensor then compresses the bulb into the adaptor, not into the head as shown in your picture. The adaptors sell for about $18.00 at Moss and Mini Mania.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Thanks man, that is exactly what I needed to know. I'll be ordering one tonight. Do they have the same threads as the nut?
JC