• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Progress: tank in, engine is next!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So instead of my normal Memorial Day camping trip I'm spending the long weekend in the garage. Today was fuel tank day. Before installing the fuel gauge sender (calibrated by a Kim) I swished a bit of acetone around the tank to clean out any dust or bits and pieces that were still in there. The tank was previously cleaned out by a radiator shop so I should be okay from here. A bit of work to clean the threads on the studs and the tank was back in the car. I still have the fuel pump to install, but otherwise the fuel system is pretty much ready to go.

tank_in.jpg

The next step is very exciting -- it's time to put in the engine and transmission! I went into Park City this morning and picked up all the nuts and bolts I'll need to join the two. $20 of miscellaneous bits -- the poor lady at the counter had lots to enter! I have since located a local fastener store (closed on Saturdays, of course) that I'll have to visit next week.

engine_mount.jpg

I'm now ready for the engine install. Still quite a lot to do before I can start the car, but getting the engine in will be a real motivator and will clear up quite a bit of floor space to boot. I'm hoping to get it installed this weekend if all goes well.

While there's no way I'm going to make British Field Day this year with the car, I do hope to have it running before the end of June. I'll just have to take the Triumph down this year -- it's British as well, so it counts. The new target is to be able to join the Miner's Day parade (known as Labor Day elsewhere) in September. That gives me the summer to get all the details worked out.

I'm predicting a Vroom posting before the end of June. I think I can do it!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Congrats Drew,

We're all rooting for you to get that magic sound coming out of the engine. Bugsy got out and about running errands 4 times yesterday. He had lots and lots of fun!! You will again as well.

tomshobby

Yoda
Drew,

Looking great! Gives me hope for the basket case I am getting. I especially appreciate the photos here and on your web site. Since the Midget I am getting has been, and still is mostly, completely taken apart and painted I have no idea what colors were originally used.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm getting excited myself!

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
woo hoo! Keep up the momentum!

I've been working in the yard all weekend. But I did manage to "unbury" mine in the garage and clean up an organize my bench down in the basement. I'm thinking about it! I did buy a 7" sander at HF with toughts of starting to strip the paint.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Very neat, Drew.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone grabs one of these old things and goes the yardage it takes to make it not just roadworthy but lovely. You have to conquer the learning curve, acquire skills and knowledge much different than you're used to, and KEEP at it. Admirable! Great job.

Lookin' forward to th' "VROOM!!" post! :laugh:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
You have to conquer the learning curve, acquire skills and knowledge much different than you're used to, and KEEP at it.

It has truly been a fascinating process. When I started this a couple years ago, I truly knew almost nothing. I've never worked on an old car before, just a bit of basic work on motorcycles and my old Land Cruiser. Every assembly I tackle is a completely new experience for me.

As a musician and programmer I work mostly in the virtual world, so it's been quite the adventure to truly learn to work well on something mechanical.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've long held the opinion that humans are truly a tactile bunch. We certainly tackle cerebral challenges with a certain glee (especially the right lobe dominants), but we ALL seem to find a particular 'relaxation factor' in touching/fondling/feeling stuff (DON'T go gettin' all sophomoric here, guys! :wink: ).

From HOLDING a newspaper or book, to whittling, to FIXING stuff we seem to like the involvement of those opposed thumbs *coupled* with our brains. The more complex/challenging the task, the better. Hubble repair comes to mind. As does dentistry or musicianship.

...along with renewing an old English car now and then. :wink: :jester:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just a darn min Drew, "end of June"? Five hours for engine in and set up.

Run it, hehe. And I am an old toad and need lots of brakes.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't forget, Jack, that I have to work up the fuel pump, install all engine ancillaries, header, exhaust, radiator, etc.

Also, I've never done this before. I'm very slow -- I like to think of it more as methodical.
grin.gif

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just take it slow and sure. Better to do that and do it right than to get in a hurry and ruin something. When you've got a few engine pull patches on your letterman jacket then you can get them in, out, back in and running like Jack can.