• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AH Search in Progress

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Started out a bit iffy, should I sell my older air cooled 911 and go back to my roots, and have decided to do so. I have a few serious leads on some nice Healeys and am focused on the latter BN4s as primary, but if it is right, would go with a 3000 Mark I. The early ones appeal most to me...less is more thing.
My initial excitement turned out to be a really nice looking 100-6, 1958 model, great presentation with what was shown but I asked for more specific pics and it was miss represented; basically, a 'lie by omission' event by a dealer. The car has many nice points, but some serious not so nice for the ask price. Simply an almost finished, but not quite so work.

I was unaware of the recent rise in Healey prices for a nice car... but it is what it is... the wife is more surprised than me. Honestly, honey, yada yada...

I've made a pretty high end offer on a nice 100-6 so we shall see There are 2 more in the on deck circle, but not as nice. Enjoyable process really.

My first car as a teen was a 100-6 1959 and really ratty but I loved it, but I hardly remember anything technical or important so may ask for some advice while I devour Piggott's book.

Just an FYI.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Oh, not that early...a 911 SC hotrodded a bit..with a Euro 930-10 ..original color but the guy that took the pic jazzed it a bit when I visited his place..
1D9A4554%20(3).JPG

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, I rebuilt everything in the car and stripped it to 2300LBS. wet with 230 HP. Fun ride but I drive it too fast and another reason for the Healey.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
When I was looking for a big Healey to rebuild I had the good fortune of running into Norman Nock at a British car meet in Dixon, CA. I knew of his shop and had already purchased his tech tips book. I said I wanted a 3000 or at least a 6 cylinder car to restore. After talking to him a bit he said " No, I dont don't think you want a 6 cylinder car....look for a 100. They are under valued and if you want a no frills car you'll not regret it." He must have had an insight to my bent towards lack of frills. About the only extra on a 100 is the folding windshield and the heater. The windscreen gimmick is worthless but it does look hella cool. I've never used the heater. Not sure about the undervalued part, it was 25 years ago.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Not sure why you would focus on the 2+2 BN4 100-Sixes. The BN6 100-Six is a strict two-seater, and most consider it a better-looking design. BN4 series cars generally sell for a bit less than the BN6 models, true, but the BN6 isn't that much more. In any case, here's a chart I made that you might find informative:

Big Healey Prod Chart 121215.jpg

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
BTW, I would recommend looking for a BN2, BN6 or BN7. I think all the 2 seaters are the best looking and most fun to drive. I've owned every Healey except a Tri carb and of course the 100S and love the roadsters versus the convertibles !

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, I am looking at 2 BN6's as we speak... just do like the 100-6 series. What I am really looking for is a very solid car without going astronomical and would go for a first series 3000 too but as a fall back position. I want one as healthy on the underside as up top.
Lots of shiny tops with some pretty rough undersides as you all know.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What is with all these guys still running 48 spoke wheels? Every car I am looking at has 48's....

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
My favorite Healey other than my 100M was my black over red BN6. Blast to drive and that big 6 sounded great. Had 48 spoke wheels
on it and still do on the 100M as those were standard for both cars. Never had a problem with the 48's.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ah, all I hear is 'with today's stickier tires' etc...they are pushing the safety level. Good to hear.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What is with all these guys still running 48 spoke wheels? Every car I am looking at has 48's....
48 spokes are original. If you're looking for stronger wheels, 72-spoke are available for 100-6s with drum brakes. 3000s with disc front brakes (or 100-6s that have been converted to disc front brakes) can be fitted with 60-spoke wheels which are not so busy.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I hear that too but between the 100M and BN6 had 48 spoke wheels for 16 years with no problems. Now maybe if you were planning on racing it might be a problem with newer tires !

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The car will be used for cruising and a bit of spirited street but not tracked...so, I'll stick with the original for the time being as long as they are true.
Speaking of, how hard is it to fine wheel balancing for knock offs? It has been awhile.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Might have to ask around but can probably find someone who will take the time to balance them. I just go to a local tire store but
guys in the back like the Healey so they take the time for me.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The car will be used for cruising and a bit of spirited street but not tracked...so, I'll stick with the original for the time being as long as they are true.
Speaking of, how hard is it to fine wheel balancing for knock offs? It has been awhile.
Yes, ask around. The national tire store brands won't do it.

Country flag
I'm cornfused. I always thought 'N' stood for 2-seat roadster, 'T' for 2+2 roadster and 'J' for 2+2 convertible. The BN4 was a 2+2?