• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 transplant progress.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
For those few who have actually been following, the 1275 transformation is all but complete. It's been a long road. The 1098 blew up in June, and it's been that long since I've driven the car. To recap it now has

a .030 over bored 1275 with a mild cam and Gerard's seal kit
Weber Carb with manual choke conversion (32/36)
Maniflow LCB header with complete exhaust sytem.
New clutch
New gas tank and sending unit
Instead of the stock 1098/SU's.
It came back from the dyno tuner having been tuned, jetted, etc so no flat spot of off idle bog common with this set-up.
Just a couple of little details and I can pick it up when the weather turns..

EEEE--Haaaaaa

nomad

Yoda
Bill, I'm sure the new power will be a big surprise! Hope your wheather will let you get out and enjoy it.

Kurt.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Congratulations!!! How about a few progress photos? :smile:

Last edited:

RickB

Yoda
Awesome Bill, I hope you have many many happy miles and smiles with the new setup!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice, you should have good fun with it.

Though we do need some pics!

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry, no pics. I haven't even seen it yet.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, so I still haven't taken delivery, as it IS still the rainy season, but I'm pondering.. should I have the interior redone. It would be to replace EVERYTHING, except the dash and steering wheel. That is, new carpet, seats, paddding, and panels. .. I wouldn't have to do a thing except write a check, as I'm a very good check-book mechanic. ... it's about $1600 in parts alone.

Hmmmmmm I'm really leaning toward just doing it and being done..... except for the tin worm.. that's next year.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Bill
If you have them do the interior be sure to have them fix the inside turn blinker bulbs so that you know when the blinkers are on!!
BillM

nomad

Yoda
Hey Bill, if it were me I might do the seats but think I'd wait on the rest of the interior till body work is done. Some of it will probably have to be removed for that.
Take a drive to the midwest to break it in!!:D

Kurt.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Come on Bill,

With the way you wield that adjustable wrench of yours you could have the interior done in no time!! My brakes are still as good as the day you installed them.

RickB

Yoda
Come on Bill,

With the way you wield that adjustable wrench of yours you could have the interior done in no time!! My brakes are still as good as the day you installed them.

That's his left handed metric adjustable wrench isn't it?
Very fancy!

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a chance to go down to have a look at the car at the shop today. It's the first time I've seen it since the engine transplant. While it wasn't exactly wedged back in the corner, it would have been some bit of inconvenience to get it out to take a drive, but I just had to hear it. We fired it up and I got to hear what the new 1275 sounds like with the header and new exhaust system. It is so sweet I can hardly stand it. As long as it's there, and the seats are getting done, I'll have the tonneau cover repaired and some missing snaps and studs put in too. The last of the parts from Gerard (I only decided to order them recently) are on the way, the seat covers are on the way, spring is on the way. It won't be long now.

nomad

Yoda
Gooo spring!!!
Though I unfortunately remember a year when winter didn't start till this time of year and didn't end till May!!

Kurt

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a chance to go down to have a look at the car at the shop today. It's the first time I've seen it since the engine transplant. While it wasn't exactly wedged back in the corner, it would have been some bit of inconvenience to get it out to take a drive, but I just had to hear it. We fired it up and I got to hear what the new 1275 sounds like with the header and new exhaust system. It is so sweet I can hardly stand it. As long as it's there, and the seats are getting done, I'll have the tonneau cover repaired and some missing snaps and studs put in too. The last of the parts from Gerard (I only decided to order them recently) are on the way, the seat covers are on the way, spring is on the way. It won't be long now.

Hi Bill,

I heard from your shop today (Chris, I think it was). He said your rear seal was as "dry as a bone" and I presume adding the driveshaft spacer cured the "bump" as he seemed very satisfied with the results. Sounds like you may have it back soon, to which I'm certain you are looking forward!

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bill,

Will you have it back and broken in for your annual trip up to the Vancouver ABFM?

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As long as they have it anyway, I let them know that I hadn't swopped out the brake fluid in a few years, could they do that. And as long as they're doing THAT, it's way past time to change the flexible brake hoses. I'm having them put in braided stainless. Not something I couldn't have done myself, but what the heck... They're working on the seats, and it looks like I'll have the car back SOON. Before Spring! .... .Chris had asked me last week for Gerard's phone number, I assume to continue their business relationship, which will be good for both. ...

I'll have the car back in time for the trip to Vancouver BC, BUT I won't be going as my son graduates from college in California that very weekend. I can't think of any reason not to drive it down the the annual Portland AutoJumble, held the last sunday of April, at Montgomery Park however. ...