• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tuning up a 1275

jehuie

Country flag
My Morris Minor has a 1275 in it. It's runs pretty good but smells fairly strongly of gasoline when it's running. I'm a relative novice and thought I'd just ask here about where to start.

I'm thinking the obvious is to check the spark plugs and then to find online directions for tuning up the carbs. Is it likely that something is broken with the carbs though? Like maybe the float not working causing fuel to overflow? I don't see evidence of leaking but that smell....

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
As you state, sometimes such fuel smell is due to carb float-bowl overflow (due to the floats, level adjustment or needle-valves).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Check at the undersides of the carbs for wet gas. If there's no evident dripping, I'd start looking at the fuel lines. Any of the connections where steel lines meet rubber/flex lines. Clamps etc. for weeping. Also the top fo the fuel tank for rust-through, pinholes or connections there.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Figuring you haven't owned the MM for long, first thing I'd check would be drips of gas below the carbs and bowls.
Tom M.

OP
jehuie

jehuie

Country flag
Ha ha. You would think so but I've had this sucker for over 20 years! But I don't put many miles on it and haven't driven much over the last couple years. I used to have a couple friends (and a father) who would help me out with it as needed but most of them (including my father) have since passed on or are otherwise not available. In any case, I've never been great mechanically. I don't have a garage or a lot of tools. But I do enjoy tinkering on it and just retired so I finally have time to do so.

But I haven't messed with the carbs in easily over 10 years....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Is the fuel smell coming from the engine bay, or something you're smelling when you're driving? I ask because I had a fuel smell in my Minor and it went away when I replaced the fuel sender gasket and filler hose at the gas tank. They were perished enough to let vapors into the cabin.

OP
jehuie

jehuie

Country flag
Is the fuel smell coming from the engine bay, or something you're smelling when you're driving? I ask because I had a fuel smell in my Minor and it went away when I replaced the fuel sender gasket and filler hose at the gas tank. They were perished enough to let vapors into the cabin.

People around the car could smell it mostly. I checked all the locations that people mentioned and could find no evidence of fuel leaking at all. But then, I'm also not smelling it the last couple times I ran it either which is strange. The only thing that I changed is that I removed the air filters while I'm waiting for some new ones to be delivered. I did notice that the old air filters smell strongly of gasoline though. Which does not seem like it should be the case...

OP
jehuie

jehuie

Country flag
And on a related note…all my plugs look good except for this one. It’s the second from the front of the engine and has strong carbon build-up covering everything including the white porcelain.

What is this spark plug telling me is wrong? Not getting good combustion to burn it off I imagine. But what would need to be done to figure out why?

Attachments

• 6A75A29C-74D0-4F95-8B5F-EECF36653D50.jpeg
    6A75A29C-74D0-4F95-8B5F-EECF36653D50.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 48

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Have valves been recently adjusted? How's compression in all cylinders?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
With one fouled plug, short of a poor electrical connection to it, I'd suspect a valve first.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep... that's basically it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Next step - clean that dirty plug, then drive for a couple hours. Check the plug again and see if it's still getting the carbon buildup.

OP
jehuie

jehuie

Country flag
Next step - clean that dirty plug, then drive for a couple hours. Check the plug again and see if it's still getting the carbon buildup.
I replaced all the plugs earlier. But I can certainly pull that one later and take a look. Thanks!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
If still a problem, then you may have a sticky valve.

Pat MM

Country flag
On my sprite that gets started once or twice a year for over 15 years I had a fuel smell at one time, also intermittent. It was a flex rubber fuel line that was weeping, but not dripping. Simple fix, but took a while to find...