• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Broken water temp gauge

Galen

Last year I had the interior of my 62 BN7 redone. I recently pulled the engine for a re-build and found that the idiots stripped the water temperature sensor at the block to the point of no return where I had to cut the sensor. Apparently they tried to remove it when they were recovering the dash.

Any ideas or recommendations on replacing or the possibility of a repair?

Bruce

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bruce,
Welcome to the forum. There are two main places that can repair the gauge. Nisonger and MoMa. You can search here for their info, unless things have changed recently, MoMa doesn't have a website. One thing to consider is how much work you want them to do. I have a neighbor who had one gauge completely refurbished and it made his other gauges look old and faded in comparison.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Wasn't Galen asking about the sensor having its threads stripped in the block -- not the gauge?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
That was I got from his post. Because the fitting was stripped, he had to cut the capillary tube off in order to get the engine out of the bay. Even if the tube wasn't cut, the sensor bulb will need to come off to get a new fitting on.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
TimK said:
Wasn't Galen asking about the sensor having its threads stripped in the block -- not the gauge?

Not only I can't spell, I apparently can't read as well. I'm wondering if Galen is saying the corners of the sensor were rounded off making it hard to remove or whether the threads in the head, or even on the sensor, were stripped?

OP
G

Galen

Thanks for the contact at Nisonger. The sensor bulb had to be amputated from the capillary tube in order to get the engine out because of the previous damage of someone rounding off the sensor head. I was able to remove the sensor with the rounded corners after the engine was removed for re-build.

Sorry I was not articulate with my problem.

Galen

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Galen said:
Thanks for the contact at Nisonger. The sensor bulb had to be amputated from the capillary tube in order to get the engine out because of the previous damage of someone rounding off the sensor head. I was able to remove the sensor with the rounded corners after the engine was removed for re-build.

Sorry I was not articulate with my problem.

Galen
For future reference, I took an inexpensive wrench (Harbor Freight tools)that fit the sensor, bent and cut it to fit around the sensor. Now it's easy to remove with the right tool. I keep it in my spare tool kit for emergencies.

Country flag
Johnny said:
For future reference, I took an inexpensive wrench (Harbor Freight tools)that fit the sensor, bent and cut it to fit around the sensor. Now it's easy to remove with the right tool. I keep it in my spare tool kit for emergencies.
Yes, I took a 6-point deep socket and cut a full length slot in it (for the capillary tube to pass through) to remove the water temperature bulb.

We do what we have to do :wink:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I reworked an open end wrench too but I think Randy's socket approach is better and one of these days I'm going to get around to modifying a socket.

Another trick - sometimes even when you get the nut loose the bulb will resist pulling out and it is easy to pull the capillary tube out of the bulb. If it doesn't come out easy, remove (withdraw) the thermostat and you can push the bulb out from the inside without pulling on the tube - I use a short piece of wood so as to not damage the bulb (it's soft and can be deformed easily).

Dave