• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Wanna Swap Cars"

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Reading the recent post "Buy, Sell, Hold" reminded my of a thought I had a few years ago, swapping classic cars. It always seems that after you've spent so much time and money on completing any classic car there is both joy and anticipation afterwards. Joy, in driving the car and the enjoyment of hearing favorable comments from others. Also, there is anticipation in "now that I have all these tools and knowledge what's next?" To enhance that desire I have always thought it would be a great idea to arrange a "swap" of one classic car for another. A pre-determined time frame with a legal contract concerning liability etc. could be written and agreed on. Minor repairs, with owners consent of course could also be done. This would satify many people's urges to have something new to work on without having to give-up your classic car. I always thought a Forum such as this one would be a great vehicle to advertise/solicit owners willing to swap their classic for another for a specific time frame and report on the experience for all to enjoy/discuss.
What do you think?

mbrooks

Country flag
Another variation would be vacation swops. This is done already swapping homes for a vacation. But what about swapping Healeys? This could work great for US/Europe/Australia etc vacations.

Just a thought........

Mike

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not the same thing but I have often initiated 'ride swaps' on portions of our (multi marque) club drives. It does offer too rare opportunities to see how other cars drive. Biggest problem with these is seat adjustment as some folks haven't moved the seat tracks in 10 or 20 years.

Salyers890

sounds great - you can have my 76 midget with the engine pulled out and electrical system all messed up, rusty floorpan, garage paint job, spongy brakes, for the weekend - fix it. . . and in the meantime i'll drive your LBC all over the place. . . .any takers?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Salyers 890, I think you made your point-Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
It takes two people "agreeing" to initiate a swap. Any mis-representation of your vehicle condition would result in a disqualification. I believe this has been done before in England on a very large scale. A fee is charged and your car would be tested for validity before allowing anyone else to drive it.
What do you think?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Johnny in all due respect, swapping LBCs' is just not my cup of tea.---Keoke

Salyers890

i think there's just too many variables. living in chicago i would not let ANYONE take my car out in the city. i have to be overly careful to make sure people see me from up high in their H2's. for that reason i'm getting a louder horn/exhaust system and brighter headlights. also, if something's going to break, which it eventually is i'd like to be around because as we know these problems can domino into something horrible if someone doesn't know the car.
I suppose the alternative is to join a local club and go for cruises with them, maybe do a cruise swap. but i guess it's all up to the owners.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Not being arrogant here but nobody drives my cars but me.

Bruce

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bruce, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif If you want to start a club I am Your first club member.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Not being arrogant here but nobody drives my cars but me.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think like that, but nowadays I let anyone that wants to drive my cars (usually at an autocross event, but on the street too).

Now I'll grant you, nobody under 40 (years old) is going off anywhere unsupervised;). And I don't loan them out, but I can see the club drives/swaps as a really appropriate opportunity to sample the mix.

In my case, I am always getting asked by other people to drive their car (as if my opinion means something...). Of course, it usually starts out "my car is making this weird _______!

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Bruce, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif If you want to start a club I am Your first club member.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be called "The non-drivers club"?

Bruce

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be called "The non-drivers club"?

[/ QUOTE ]

i-drive...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
It was just an idea I had. I know of other's who've done just that, swap cars, and speak very favorably of the idea. One advantage is that it gives you an idea of how a certain make/model handles, and whether or not you truly wish to own one. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.