• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Which way to point a "Wanna-be"?

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Which way to point a "Wanna-be"?

We live in a small town Northern California and enjoy having 5 of us run around with the 1955 -62 side screens. One of the group is just about finished with a ground up restoration of a TR6.
Just met a new fellow that moved to town who has fallen in love with the side screens and thinks he would like to get one.
First thing I asked is if he would like to restore a car or buy a finished product. "Not very mechanical....better look for a finished car". We all are willing to help...and we do have a pretty good British Car man here in town...but think it might be better to lead him into a TR6. I know where one is sitting that has been totally gone thru and probably can be had for a pretty good deal. Although every situation is different...how does my logic sound to you? Input sought. Thanks, Gil NoCal

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Which way to point a "Wanna-be"?

All of our cars are a "work in progress". At some point he will have to deal with a problem to repair. I guess if he has local help or a good mechanic then OK. Sooner or later....

G

Lot to be said for a 6. Never driven a side screen car.

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I would vote for a side screen. Having had many sports cars over the years which I really enjoyed--including a '73 TR-6, a '55 Healey 100, and a '59 Jag 150 roadster--I have to admit that my '62 TR-3B is by far the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. It may not be the fastest or most comfortable, but it is the one car I will never get rid of.

I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with TR-6s,I just love my side screen more.

Paul

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Kinda depends on whether he plans to always pay someone else to do his work, or wants to learn to do it himself. The sidescreen cars are simpler and easier to work on, IMO. And at this point in time, being 50 years old instead of 40 (roughly of course) just doesn't seem like much of an issue.

And the 6-pot motor is prone to clutch and thrust washer problems that are rarely an issue with the TRactor motor.

That said, having one readily available in the condition he is looking for would be a definite plus. There are precious few sidescreen cars that aren't either total wrecks or over-restored and priced accordingly.

How does he feel about roll-up windows? :smile:

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Paul,
I am glad to hear that...if you need a passenger to hang out with until my car is complete.....let me know?

I vote for the sidescreen as well.....and mine is far from complete....but I have taken a ride in most of them and the TR3 is thrilling.

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Randall,

Well stated. As far as roll up windows, I drive on weekends with several guys who have MG's ranging from '46 to '55. We drive every weekend on the back country roads of Clifton, Virginia--year round, as long as the roads are dry. We never put our tops or side curtains on. We put on our tonneaus and bundle up. We also have a Spit and Fiat that join us, but we don't let them put up their windows. We really bundle up in winter. I wear a bomber jacket, leather helmet lined with rabbit fur and heated gloves. My TR has a heater, but I have never tried it. Talk about fun!

Thanks again for all your help on my gage restoration project.

Paul

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Vaark01 said:
We never put our tops or side curtains on.
It's been a few years ago now, but I have been known to show up for an event, in the rain, with no top or sidecurtains and my daughter hiding under the tonneau cover. I don't even have a top or sidecurtains for the current TR3!

And in 2000, for our "Y2K don't bug me" drive on New Year's Day, we went up into the mountains where IIRC the air temperature was a brisk 17F and there was several feet of snow on the ground. The roads were nearly dry, but the restaurant parking lot had several inches of snow.

I'm currently looking for some new leather driving gloves, as my old ones are pretty well shot (and apparently no longer made). Any suggestions?

D

DougF

I would let him drive a TR3 and maybe he can drive that TR6 and let him make the decision. He will learn a little about the cars by being around your group.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I'm with Doug; let him drive a 3 and a 6, and let him decide.

Although I will say, my first inclination was to suggest a 4 .....

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior

mrv8q said:
Although I will say, my first inclination was to suggest a 4 .....

I hope you were being serious because I was tempted to do that! :jester:

Seriously, driving each will be the best way to decide (and fun, too...). One of the local MG clubs has an event that let's people try cars out in a safe and controlled environment.

MikeP

Jedi Knight

Yep, really ought to get a chance to drive his choices if possible. Fantasy and reality can be very different things and he could find an early car doesn't live up to what his mind expected. If you're going out for a weekend drive, one leg with one car, another with another and so on.

OP
G

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Thanks for the input. Taking him out for a ride in the side screens would really give him a taste of what he thinks he wants. The 6 is close...but not finished...but we can get him behind the wheel there too. Might try and get him some time in one of the garages so he can feel the aspect that these cars will need to be tweeked every so often. At this point think he could be directed to either car...both of which are very fun rides...but there are differences. Thanks again Gil NoCal

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Randall,

I bought a pair of glove inserts powered by three AAA batteries each. I put them on and under my rabbit fur mittens.

It works!

Paul

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

If he has a wife find out what car she likes to ride in. If he has a good woman she will pick the TR6. If he has a real woman she will pick the Sidescreen car. Good luck.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

mallard said:
If he has a real woman she will pick the Sidescreen car. Good luck.

As only a <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> man drives a TR3.... I read it on the Internets.