• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trunnion Oiler

Fishplate

Freshman Member
Maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud type, but I'd rather oil my trunnions instead of greasing them. I've tried to find a reliable method, but so far all I've gotten is oily and frustrated.

Anybody got a good idea for getting 90 wt. through a grease fitting?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I pickedup an oiler pump at a marine store...
The end fits the grease nipple but pumps gear oil into the trunnion

Attachments

• 22985.jpg
    22985.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 456

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:
Except I got mine through mail order (Mercury Marine)

rikiwho123

thats what i need can you tell me whats the cost for that set up thanks rick.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Hey Elliot, which store? there ain't but one or two left, and that one looked like it was sitting for awhile.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
71MKIV said:
Hey Elliot, which store? there ain't but one or two left, and that one looked like it was sitting for awhile.
Steve- You're right about the condition of the one I bought... it looks like Noah had it on the Ark :jester:
Even though the packaging is messed up, it worked just fine. I bought it at a marine store on RT. 222 in Akron. Let me know if you need more info.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I think you mean 272, but I know which store. Its'a marina, but it's nowhere close to any body of water bigger than a puddle.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
71MKIV said:
I think you mean 272, but I know which store. Its'a marina, but it's nowhere close to any body of water bigger than a puddle.

Your right Steve! My brain was out to lunch.... it is Rt. 272. They had them; the one I bought must have been on the shelf for YEARS.
There is also Conestoga Marine on the Manheim Pike.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
forgot about them, I hardly ever go through there. It's not any closer to a body of water than the other one.

In your defense, 222 runs behind the store, but you can't get there from here, and 272 runs in front of the store.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
dunno that it makes a difference, you just need some sort of heavy oil in them.

I use any heavy gear lube, because that's what the trunnions are, just really coarse gears.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is a guy out there who sells a home made version

TRUNNIONOILER.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I wound up never actually using it, Art. The TR3 takes grease in the trunnions (only the later one-piece trunnion design is supposed to take oil, the early ones leak) and I sold the Sports 6 before ever reaching that point. (Stags have MacPherson struts, so no trunnions at all.)

But at the time, Mercury's P/N 802851 gear oil seemed most appropriate to me. I found a place where it was rated GL4 (although I can't find it now), plus it is supposed to have better "wet" performance and be fully safe for copper/yellow metal.
https://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/high-performance-gear-lube-237-ml-8-fl-oz-p188732.html
(Some outboard motors with electric shift have copper windings that are exposed to the final drive gear oil, so "yellow metal safe" is very important to them.)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
There is a guy out there who sells a home made version
Is someone actually selling that? Justin Wagner wrote that article, but AFAIK never assembled them for sale.

I bought one of those pump oilers from HF, but quickly decided it was too flimsy for this purpose. Justin is obviously a lot gentler with his tools than I am!
:laugh:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Randall...

Since oil isn't what's called for in the TR3 trunnions, I guess I won't be needing this oiler then. I will continue to use the grease.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought the homemade device shown in one post and the first one was totally non-functional. The second was marginally better. I finally just took my grease gun and cleaned it out, put oil in it and, holding it upright, pumped oil into my Spitfire trunnions. Worked fine just a bit messy. Glad I don't have to do it often.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
<span style="font-size: 12pt"> </span> Yep;..i'm the guy who produced & sold that red oiler.The product was good seller world wide.Although its no longer available as Harbor Freight discontinued the pressured fed oiler because of the outlawed LEAD PAINT used.But in any regard it did sell only a couple of complaint I either refunded the purchased price or replaced it.I shipped it to customers in Englend,France,Spain,Norway,Ireland,Aus,even Turkey.Sold about 250 units.Plus other products for the Spitfire.My Ebay feedback was 100%..It was easy to fabricate.It consisted of the oiler,the hose with the fitting & a brass reducer coupling from Napa.The only drawback was some customers were trying to force feed the old grease packed trunnions with the oiler.thus getting frustrated.I even furnished a pencil butane torch for some customers to help soften the hard grease.....Having said all that HF does sell a stronger oiler NOW with a threaded fron end to fit the attachments....You can buy that marine oiler at any marine supply store for $25.00 as an alternative.
Ken&Whitelightning

OP
F

Fishplate

Freshman Member
The trunnion oiler based on the HF pressure feed oiler is what prompted this post. I bought three of those things, every one turned out to be worthless for pumping 90wt. gear lube into a trunnion. I'm curious if anyone ever got one to work reliably.