• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Trunk mounted brake light for TR6

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I have been looking for a trunk mounted brake light, I decided to see what I could find on existing cars, 86 toy celica convertable, NLA, pontiac sunbird 86 conv NLA, 86 jaguar convert, available at 202.00, 2004 ford thunderbird, 134.00, LED I think this would be the best option, so once I see the car up close and think it might work I am going to buy it part number is 1W6Z-13A613-AA

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On both my TRs I use a magnetic 3rd brake light. It's a pair of towing lights (WallyMart, et al) split to make one for each car. Added a cirle of soft flannel to prevent scratching.

Being removable I only use it in traffic, can take it off for shows & club drives where I more or less trust the driver behind me.

I did change the wires to approriate colors and used Lucas bullet connectors...

3rd%20Brake%20Light.JPG

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
I use the Hyper-Lite product. Barely visible when off, but very visible when on. They flash for eight seconds and then remain on. Mount them anywhere you might like.

379888293_97cc5193ce.jpg

379888289_790456a185.jpg

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul,
I like your setup.
Hondo,
Look in a street rod or motorcycle magazine. You'll see a variety of LED units. The motorcycle lights are usually smaller and have the blinking features like Paul mentioned.
BOBH

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
hondo402000 said:
I tried calling some salvage yards and no luck
You need to go to your local Pick-a-Part salvage yard and take a tour of the yard. You'll find lots of usefull items that can be used including third brake lite...and it shouldn't cost more than $10.00 or so...

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Paul
I like the lights but how are they mounted when the hard top is off and the rag top is down??? I am on the trail of a mercedes 560 SL third light

roofman

Jedi Knight
Where are you going to mount the Mercedes style lite, on the trunk.
I'm thinking of a stalk mounting from the rear package shelf that has the lite on top, and can double as a horozontal fire extinguisher mount

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
The Mercedes lamp is mounted on the trunk, on the 560 it is close to the end of the trunk, I was thinking more toward the edge nearer to the gas cap

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
looks like a third light from an 87 jag, its on order from a salvage yard, I will post pics before I start drilling holes in the trunk, for approval

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
To avoid drilling into the trunk lid, I suggest the following. Get a piece of sheetmetal the length of the LED lamp assembly and bend it 90 degrees or so. Mount the LED light body horizontally on the vertical part of the sheetmetal bracket. Lift off your tonneau cover or vinyl cover across the back and drill and tap two holes where these holes will be hidden once you snap the vinyl cover back into place. Then drill clearance holes in the piece of sheetmetal and secure the sheetmetal bracket to the two holes which will become hidden. Feed the wire up behind the gas tank and out a third hole to be connected to the LED light assembly. Now re-snap the cover back into place and it will cover the screw heads, the hole where the wire come up and it will cover part of the new bracket. This could be painted body colour. If you're at a concours show, you could remove it and no-one would see the screws and/or the wire under the edge of the cover.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you do mount it near the gas cap check to see that it doesn't hit the cap if the cap is open and you open the trunk.
Another option is to install the light, or lights on the back side of the headrests. This will allow you to avoid having to drill anything and have the lights visible with the top up or down. There is a variety of brightness ratings on LEDs. A strip of the brightest mounted between the headrest and the back ot the seat would be nearly undetectable until you hit the brakes.
BOBH

roofman

Jedi Knight
Good idea, if you have a luggage rack it might block the view from behind. Also before you drill, put the top up to see how it all comes together. The way I invision it it will not matter, but best to be sure.
I m still thiking about a parcel tray mounted shaft made out of 1 inch square tubing that barely sticks up over the tonneau cover that can act as a fire extinguisher mount,and with one of those little hyper lites on top.

roofman

Jedi Knight
Here is a rough prototype of my idea. A flat base mounted between seats on packeage tray in front of hump. The box represents the hyper lite which will be smaller than the box. Paint it black with a plastic cap, run wires down the center of shaft, under carpet into back of car. This solves the problem of where to mount the fire extinguisher also. The shaft only sticks up enough to allow the hyper lite to peak over the tonneau cover.

P1040099.jpg

roofman

Jedi Knight
It can definetly work.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Do you have a roll bar? Best place for one if you have the bar. Nice and high and visible through window.

LED Light 007 (Custom).jpg

LED Light 005 (Custom).jpg