• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Trunk [boot] lock removal

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
All,

I am in the process of disassembling my TR4A for paint. I can't get the trunk lock (t-shaped handle) to come off.

I removed the three nuts inside the trunk, i.e. two on the outside and one in the center that is connected to the t-handle.

Are there any pins holding the handle in place? I (gently) whacked the exposed threads of the center bolt with a rubber mallet, but nothing moved. Do I need more "persuasion" or are there other fasteners that need to be removed?

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Since you don't have an answer yet...It's been a long time since I had a TR4, but I seem to recall a "compression clip" on the square shaft of the T handle. You might get the Moss catalog and check to see if there is a part you are overlooking. Maybe someone who actually has the car will chime in. It's similar to the door latch on my TR3 in that the square shaft goes thru the latch, which is pot metal. I destroyed one latch, trying to drive it out, and the other trying to heat it. Corrosion locks them together pretty tight.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks! I will dig deeper this weekend and see what I can see. Right now the trunk is still on the car and it is a bit awkward to get in there. If I don't succeed I will try again once the boot lid is removed - and can see a little better.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Don't quote me on this...but I "think" there is some kind of C-clip or slotted clip of some sort that slides in a slot on the back side of the handle. It's very hard to see. It has been a LONG time since I took mine out so I could be wrong.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike,
I just checked my two TR4's plus an "extra " handle that I have and there is nothing but the three nuts in the back. I would guess that maybe the rubber gasket between the trunk lid and the handle must be what is holding it. It may have "cemented" itself in place and is holding the handle there as well.
Charley

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
An update: After 48 hours of soaking with PB Blaster, I used more (gentle) persuasion with a rubber mallet, and the assembly came apart quite readily. I will post pictures with the bits for reference.

Thanks!!

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
deleted post - accidentally posted twice!

Attachments

• IMG_7259 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    IMG_7259 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7260 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    IMG_7260 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7261 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    IMG_7261 - body - trunk - lock.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 132
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Ahh... Patience. The tool I have the hardest time finding and keeping.

Ahh... I have patience only because it is forced upon me - with two little monsters in the house, I work in short spurts. (To be truthful, my success came in a 5 minute break before dinner. I was holding a 2-year old in one arm and the hammer in the other! Yes I am serious about their safety when they work with me. We have earmuffs and safety glasses, and I constantly vacuum the inevitable dust - who knows what chemicals are in it - before they can come in the shop.)

Below are photos of the parts that came out - I seem to have lost a washer. As I can't find it anywhere, I question if it was present to begin with. (Not unusual - likely the result of many folks working on the car in its 50 year lifetime!

View attachment 41741 View attachment 41742View attachment 41743

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike,
Looking at your pictures , I am guessing that what was holding the handle in place was the rust on the shaft where it goes through the closure mechanism.
Where do you believe that "other" washer should be? I recall a plastic washer that is located between the handle bezel and the trunk lid. I believe it was very thin. But there is a gasket there now.
Charley

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I am guessing that what was holding the handle in place was the rust on the shaft where it goes through the closure mechanism.

Could well be! The nut at the end of the square shaft of the handle was holding the handle to the trunk. (Handle goes through the bezel, through the trunk sheet metal, through the latch on the inside, and then a nut and washer screws onto the handle. The nut at the bottom center of the first picture in my post above; below is a picture of the assembly before I took it apart.)

Where do you believe that "other" washer should be? I recall a plastic washer that is located between the handle bezel and the trunk lid. I believe it was very thin. But there is a gasket there now.

Part 41 in the Revington TR webpage, https://www.revingtontr.com/shop/catalogue_page.asp?cartype=tr4a&plateid=174&. There are better views from Ebay venders, and Moss: https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201443203445?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true and https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=57148.

I am not sure where this washer goes - inside or outside the sheet metal (assume inside). I still need to do some debugging to find the proper parts; I may make a trip to my local LBC parts supplier; they have a TR5 in the lobby that could help.

Note, I have no financial interest in Revington, EBay or Moss. I am only using pictures help to explain.

IMG_7253 - body - trunk - lock.jpg

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike,

I looked t the three sources that you gave and the ebay one shows the gasket and the washers are the ones that go beneath the nut at the rear of the shaft. In Revington I believe I saw a washer back behind the bezel. but there is no need for a washer of any type back there except for next to the nut. I again looked at what I have here and there is no washer next to the bezel and again no function or need or place to do anything.

I looked at your last picture and note that you are missing the washer just below the nut at the end of the handle shaft. The nut in that location should be a nylock. That way you can tighten the nut only enough to hold the shaft in position without putting pressure on the trunk closure mechanism. That mechanism should be flat.
Charley

Last edited:
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you Charley. I understand what you are saying. There might be a gasket under the bezel - this is what I would like to check on a car. Moss calls out a "gasket" (part #43) that looks like the washer in the other exploded views.

Thanks to everyone for helping with this matter; I'll update this post as I learn in the future - but it will be a while before I am in the "rebuilding" side of the equation!