• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3B With Matching Numbers

CaptDon01

I sent away for my cars production information to the British Motor Heritage Trust. I received it yesterday, and found out my car just had her 43rd birthday Sept. 7th. I also found out all her numbers match, (which made me happy), and that she was originally black, (she's currently red). Very interesting info on the options she left Standard Triumph with, and she's still got them all except for the tool kit. It verified she's got the 86mm pistons, and "rationalized" transmission. So I guess when the time comes to take her down for restoration, I'll re-paint her black. They even gave the name of the ship she was on coming to Baltimore, (I guess that was the importer), and I was able to get a picture of the cargo ship on the internet. There was also two dates.....built date of 9-7-62, and another date, (I forget what they called it, I'm at work right now), of 9-12-62.

Pretty interesting stuff......Now if I could find a history of her past owners.....

Don

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Don,

I just faxed my info on my 55 TR-2 to them a week ago. How long did it take to get your certificate?

Thanks,

OP
C

CaptDon01

It was close to a month to get the information. I'm sure it's someone's part-time job, and I'm sure it's not in a computer data base. Worth the wait.....

Don

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Re: TR3B With Matching Numbers [Re: Mark Gibson]

Mark,
British Motor Heritage Trust has been known to make mistakes in copying numbers from records onto the certificates. I ordered a certificate for my TR8 because I lost the original keys and my copies stopped working and I ordered new ones cut by number; however, they transposed a pair of numbers on the door keys. I emailed them to check the numbers and they issued me a new certificate containing the correct numbers.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

It took about a month for my Heritage certificate to arrive after ordering over the internet and making payment with credit card.

The second date is usually the "dispatch date".

Not all certificates have all information. Mine does not show the precise date of manufacture, only the month and year. It also did not show the body number.

It does have a lot of detail about the original equipment on my TR4: leather interior, tool kit/jack, spare, etc.

I'd highly recommend getting one for your car. I haven't done so yet, but understand the certificate can be used to re-register the car by year of manufacture, rather than year of sale as was commonly done in the good old days. For example, my TR4 was built in late 1962, but is registered 1964, the year it sold. It was imported through San Francisco, and now has returned to reside about 50 miles from that port.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

OP
C

CaptDon01

Yeah....."Dispatch date", that was it. Now does anyone know the difference between the "Date of Build" and the "Date of Dispatch"? There was 5 days difference on these date on my certificate.

Thanks,

Don

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Actually, as I recall, it is the British "Despatch" on the certificates. I believe that's when the car actually left the hands of Triumph to be shipped or otherwise delivered to a distributor, dealer or -- in some cases -- directly to a customer. Five days is a rather short period of time; some of my certificates for my cars show upwards of a month between build and despatch!

trrobbie

Freshman Member
Hi All, Just wondering how to get this certificate. I have a `76 tr-7 fhc that I would like to learn all about. I love these cars. I drive it every day and so far without too much trouble. I also like all the att. that the car gets. Robbie in Wyoming usa

mikeyr

Hey, Singer is not on the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Probably because none of the "Rootes Group" / Chrysler UK marques was ever under the umbrella of BLMC or predecessors such as Standard-Triumph, Nuffield Group, BMC, etc. But it does raise the question of whether Singers, Hillmans, Humbers and the like have a similar archive resource?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they make sewing machines, not cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif