• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A where to buy oversize thrust washers for TR3B?

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
Hi all, I just measured the end float on my newly acquired TR3B. 8 thousands. Went looking for oversize thrust washers, and Moss is NA, didn't see any at roadster factory, Victoria british only had standard size, customthrustwashers doesn't list for TR3. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thx

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TRF has them on sale at the moment. P/N AEW2004/SA005

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
ah, I didn't think to look in the tr4 catalog assume since I have a B they are the same. Scott's prices reasonable for custom? I like the idea of solid brass,

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Scott's pricing will be more than the catalog guys but I think the material he uses is better. Obviously that is open for everyone's personal opinion.

Note: I don't think he uses solid brass... it's a different alloy; check his site for exact material or just give him a call.

I just checked Scott's website and it looks like he uses a bronze alloy

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
I had an email exchange with Scott - he doesn't do TR3 yet, as they require a different manufacturing process, and he isn't tooled for it. Assumption is that there is a tab as opposed to that of a TR6. He is interested, and would like a picture. Anyone have a photo of TR3B/TR4 thrust washers I can send him? TR3A as well, while we are at it?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, there is a locating tab, but only on one half. The other half cannot have the tab. Washers are the same for all TR2-TR4A. Sorry I don't have a good photo, but here is part of the diagram from the parts cataloge.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing a bronze alloy as being better in this application. The stock thrust washers are the same tri-metal design as used for rod and main bearings. That design has been around for a very long time and is still in use today (although most makers have gone to cheaper materials that aren't as good but "good enough"). The TR6 motor does have a problem with thrust washers, apparently a combination of lack of thrust surface (the wet liner 4s have twice as much thrust surface) and a crankshaft that flexes a good deal at high rpm. Kas Kastner once measured something like 5/8" deflection at the flywheel!
But the TR3 motor does not seem to suffer the same issues, and in fact the thrust washers normally outlast the other bearings by a large margin as long as the oil is kept clean. I always change them when doing the main bearings, but they generally are not worn out even when the mains are worn into the copper backing.
untitled.JPG

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
I have 8 thousandths end float. A couple of people have said that is not to worry on a TR3B. I bought it single owner, the odometer reads 89k (though I do not know if that is accurate, PO has alzheimers). If all else checks out ok - compression, oil pressure, etc., I'd like to just monitor for a few years till I rebuild. Don't put a lot of miles on my TRs - a few thou a year. What do you think?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Maybe I don't understand the problem, Bruce. .008" is well within the factory allowance for end float ... why are you worrying about it?

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Crankshaft end float 0·004 - 0·006" (desirable)
Mfg... 0·0048 - 0·0117"
Wear limit .. 0 ·015"

From the Bentley.
Couldn't agree more. if it runs/drive good then enjoy the car! I think 8 mils is a long way from getting into trouble. IMO.
I have several sets. If Scott just needs a template to start making them, I would be willing to send him a set. Get me an address. Mine came from TRF.

Best of luck on your new car. Enjoy! It's spring here in the south...cold and spitting snow...:smile: Go figure?
Tim

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
According to the TR3 service manual, "The float specified for the crankshaft is .004 - .006 when new." Is it different for the TR4/TR3B?

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
I am reading the Bentley manual for TR3 53-61. Says "Should the end float determined be greater than .006, thick thrust washers can be fitted." I don't see what you are referring to.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
All clear now? "The Bentley" is just a reprint of the factory workshop manual plus an early version of the owner's manual; so it has the same information. For your car, you'll want the 6th edition of the owner's manual (titled Practical Hints for the Maintenance of the Triumph T.R.3) which you can download from
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2H...M2U2LWJhYWUtMjEyZDgxMzUyNzUw/edit?usp=sharing

Used to be TRF sold reprints at a very reasonable price, but apparently they don't have them any more.

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bruce,
I actually copied that from the TR4-4A manual. Glad to know they agree...:smile: The TRactor motor sure is tough. I bought my current TR4 in 1981. The crankpin-big end rod clearance was so great you could EASILY see it and feel it. But it had stayed together. That was 30+ years ago. I would have hated to have known the end float number. I agree with others: monitor you crank end play and enjoy your car. Pictures of the car?
Tim