• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3B steering wheel cover

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought a Moss leather Wheelskin brand steering wheel cover and it seems too narrow.Instructions say sew tight ,but seems no way the gap is going close when I stitch it on,although I havent tried yet,only pulling together as tight as I could by hand,leaving about 1/4" gap.
anyone got one of these to lace on without a gap,or can recommend a cover that fits a litte better?
thanks
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shawn,Thanks for quick reply.The shipping was almost as fast.I will give it a go.I was suprised time estimate in instructions was an hour,generous I figured ,but I guess the stitching and stretching takes a little time. Thats fine,but didnt want to force or tear.
thanks again
Tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I agree, the cover I got from Moss (many years ago now) fit perfectly once it was laced tightly enough. "Tight enough" means that, after every pair of holes, you pull on the thread al most to the breaking point. I wound up wrapping some tape around my fingers for protection.

I didn't check the clock, but it was easily an hour or more. Not really difficult, just tedious.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Randall.Thanks for reply.I only glanced at the instructions but they mentioned a band aid to protect fingers.I even thought of soaking in water as some posters reported it working for leather dog leg cappings(thats next on the list) but wanted some feedback.As usuall this forums members provide the needed info fast.
Thanks again
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Randall.Thanks for reply.I only glanced at the instructions but they mentioned a band aid to protect fingers.I even thought of soaking in water as some posters reported it working for leather dog leg cappings(thats next on the list) but wanted some feedback.As usuall this forums members provide the needed info fast.
Thanks again
Tom[/QUOTE
]I tried to lace the Wheelskin cover and it still seems to narrow.I dont see the point in spending a lot of time to install when I can not get the first few inches to sinch up tight.Maybe my expectation of the seem closing to hide the wheel is not the way this brand goes on,but is what I was hoping for,not a 3/16 gap.
Any thoughts or recent experience with this cover appreciated.
Tom

FordFiesta

Working in a warm temperature helps - as would heating the skin a little under a lamp. The Wheelskin will be worth the effort.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Working in a warm temperature helps - as would heating the skin a little under a lamp. The Wheelskin will be worth the effort.

Thanks.The cover quality looks fine.I am working in 70 deg garage.After looking at directions on the website Wheelskinsizing.com they need only 2 measurements for a custom size, diam. and circ.
The cover size is 16 1/2 x 2 3/8 but the wheel measures 16 1/2 x 2 1/2,and is labled with moss p/n for MG.I suspect a mg wheel is skinnier.
Thanks
Tom

ShawnC_at_Moss

Jedi Hopeful
Tom,
I am posting here since I haven't heard back from you regarding my latest PM from a week ago (sometimes I wonder if the system is working). I received the steering wheel cover back and I tried it on a reproduction wheel and the original wheel in our TR3 and it fit both perfectly.
Below is a photo I took. Is it possible to post a photo of your steering wheel so we can see what it looks like? Right now we are at a loss as to why you are having a problem.
Thanks,

Shawn
222-315_fromcustomer_zps143bd134.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thought, since Tom is thinking he might have gotten the wrong cover. Why don't both of you measure the actual width of the uninstalled cover and see if they match?

The part number for MG is the same as for TR, so that's not the problem; but it might be that the wrong cover wound up in the box or whatever. Mistakes do happen.

FWIW, I bought my current cover directly from Wheelskins and although I was able to get the two sides to touch (as shown in Shawn's photo), I did pull the stitching rather tighter than his appears to be. But I also used a baseball stitch, so perhaps that is the difference.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You're way ahead of me, then. I should have known you would be.

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shawn,This is pic of my wheel.Late split shaft standard.I have a late adjustable also and it seems same.
I cant explain it either,although your pic seems to be TR3 seat,cant see wheel,but will assume its TR3.
2 3/8 didnt fit,wheel measures 2 1/2 and I will probably source one that size.I appreciate the refund.
BTW way a quick search on this topic lead to several posts on TRiumph experience about 2 1/2 being size for TR3.So maybe different diam. wheels out there.
Tomhttps://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/tomburke3/2013026_zpsa26ddb93.jpg

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tom,
Let me have my purchasing department order the 2-1/2" sample and I will send it to you for evaluation. If it fits I will add it to our offering.

Does that sound OK?

Shawn
Shawn,That sounds fine,actually more than that.I was good with the refund.Appreciate your follow thru.
Thanks
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
https://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365/tomburke3/wheelskin%2025/wheelskin25005_zps9caf4dea.jpg
Shawn,The 16 1/2 x 2 1/2 cover arrived yesterday and I got it on last night.
The fit was right.
Although its hard to tell from the pic the cover still had to be pinched and sinched pretty tight to close up gap,but as you cas see it closed .
I like the feel,and am glad i put if on,but funny I kind of miss the look of the skinny old brown bakealite rim that contributed to ,I think , part of the cars character.
Let me know what I owe you guys,
Thanks again for follow-up
Tom