• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3B Engine Oil

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have been using Collectors Choice engine oil in my TR3B for many years. I get it from Moss and it is 20w50.

A friend told me I should use 10w40 during the winter months.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Paul

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What does the oil pressure do when you first start the engine on a cold morning? How about at hot idle?

As long as the pressure doesn't go significantly above 70 psi cold, then the oil isn't too thick IMO. In that case, using 10W40 might save a small amount of fuel, but I wouldn't want to let the hot idle pressure drop too low.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
In Northeast (upstate NY) winters, I found with my Herald that switching from 20W-50 to 10W-40 in the winter was the difference between the car starting on a 5-10 degree morning vs. waiting until the temperature rose to 20-25! The car has an oil pressure gauge, and the idle pressure wasn't significantly lower.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Vaark01 said:
I have been using Collectors Choice engine oil in my TR3B for many years. I get it from Moss and it is 20w50.

A friend told me I should use 10w40 during the winter months.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Paul

Paul: I don't know the history of your car/engine, but after the TR3A engine was broken-in, we switched from the break-in oil to <span style="font-weight: bold">Mobil1 15W-50</span>, a full synthetic which has one of the highest levels of ZDDP available. It's a bit pricey by the quart, but I found it at wally mart for $24/5 qt jug.

I have been using <span style="font-weight: bold">Valvoline 20W-50 Racing oil</span> in the TR-250 (engine and OD gearbox) for years with no issues. I hesitate to switch over to the <span style="font-weight: bold">Mobil1</span> full synthetic because this engine has some miles on it.

Cheers,

Frank

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Am in total agreement with Mr. Angelini concerning Mobil One 15w-50. Have been using it continuously almost since it showed up in the marketplace and in all vehicles in all weather here in OK. My long term tests are an inline 4.0L Jeep w/ 348k, which definitely needs a rebuild (but the first half of its life was with 20w-50 and 10w-40 valvoline). And a 3.3L Pathfinder w/ 282k and still runs perfectly. Only gets 21 vs 24 mpg now, but suspect that's as much the converters as anything else, the only major switches having been timing belts, caps, rotors, plugs, and oxygen sensors. I'm a true believer. Even when I've missed on the change schedule, it will still exhibit some of that stickiness, which is always gone with over used regular oils, great chemistry. I have been wondering about the ZDDP content, interesting. And plan on using it in my rebuilt TR engine maybe with some Z addtive.

Tom Lains

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
angelfj said:
I have been using <span style="font-weight: bold">Valvoline 20W-50 Racing oil</span> in the TR-250 (engine and OD gearbox) for years with no issues. I hesitate to switch over to the <span style="font-weight: bold">Mobil1</span> full synthetic because this engine has some miles on it.
No reason to switch over ZDDP content. The VR1 actually has more than Mobil 1 15W50 (which in turn has more than most Mobil 1 oils do).

OP
V

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses and advice--I really appreciate them.

I'll check my oil pressure when I start her up on a cold morning and go from there.

Its always nice to know I can count on my TR friends for sound advice whenever I need it.

Paul

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I rebuilt the engine in my 1958 TR3A in 2007. I've driven 13,000 miles since. I replaced the rings at that time. I use Castrol 10W30 here in eastern Canada and have done 2000 miles this summer at which time I had to add a quart of oil. I don't drive the TR in the winter and I change the oil every spring or 3000 miles, whichever come first. At each oil change, I add a bottle of ZDDP Plus.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
angelfj said:
No reason to switch over ZDDP content. The VR1 actually has more than Mobil 1 15W50 (which in turn has more than most Mobil 1 oils do).

I intend to stay with the Valvolene in the TR250 and use the Mobil1 15W-50 in the 3A.

See the Mobil1 product chart here: https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Mobil1 15W-50 is their highest ZDDP content.