• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 paint

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am planning the paint jog for my TR3,gloss black.
Would the inside of fenders,and fender liners on tub normally be gloss black,same color as exterior,or is a satin or flat black more correct.
Also underneath,was any undercoating used or is entire tub same as exterior?
Thanks
Tom

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Under coating from the factory on a TR3??? :laugh:

As far as I've seen, the entire car, tub and all was painted as the exterior.

Black is nice, that's what I painted mine...in the garage. :smile:

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
For a factory finish it should be the same colour underneath as on the top (only rather thinner and not right into the corners!!!)

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Art,
Thanks if mine comes out that nice I will be extremely happy.
Any details on the paint system-single stage urethane(what I am thinking of using) or bc/cc?
I havent painted anything in along time and was shocked at prices for dupont and ppg products.
Thanks
Tom

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Went to PPG and bought what I needed for the sanding primer and final coat. When I left, I was $900 lighter then when I went in. All in all, I have $1400 in paint products.

The color of my TR6 is Mallard blue (bluer then original). I am using PPG's single stage urethane. It is a nice paint and can stand as the final coat. But I wanted a deeper look and more UV protection, so I am color sanding that coat, then shooting their "Speed clear" over it. Because I am an amateur painter, I color sand the clear and buff it out. Lots of work, but is looks great.

Dark colors really need a lot of surface preperation to look good. Spend a lot of time on that phase and it will come out great.

Have fun.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Wow, no wonder it cost so much to get a car painted now. What happened to paint prices since 1983? I had my whole car painted for $1400 (including fitting of all fendors, hood, trunk and doors) which was relatively expensive then. This was using R-M SuperMax which I think was an acrylic enamel.

Scott

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Scott,
I guess the same thing that happened to the price of everything since 1983.
Been reading forum archives posts on painting,and online paint forums.Lots of info to digest.I may try one of the less expensive systems for bottom and inside fenders and tub to see if I like the results.Dupont vari-prime primer sealer is 275 a gallon,which I dont think is goint to be an option.When my buddy said figure about 2k for materials I thought he was crazy,but apparently not.
Thanks
Tom

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:

Dark colors really need a lot of surface preperation to look good. Spend a lot of time on that phase and it will come out great.

Have fun.

That's the key. I spent an incredible amount of time trying to get everything as straight as possible. I was pleasantly surprised after I got the paint on. There are a couple of very small places on the body work that could've been better, but I'll let you try and find them! :laugh:

Anyway, I used an acrylic enamel. No base/clear coat, as I don't think that type of finish looks right on these cars. I guess what I got was a generic, off the shelf black, as I seem to remember walking out of the paint place only costing about $200. That was for a gallon of primer, a gallon of paint, and whatever reducers and other stuff I had to use.

Country flag
Tom,

I'm doing a 60 TR3 right now. It was black originally. Blasted the tub, used epoxy primer ( after metal etch with acid). I painted tub black all over and sat the tub on the frame. Got to looking everything over after blasting and then chickened out on the black. So now the car is Old English white. Black is so unforgiving. If its a straight color and no metallic in it, I use single stage urethane, you can sand and buff to a nice shine. Costs about half of what BC/CC will. Good paint & primer will still hit you for$600/800 in cost. Paint the pieces individually and you will get a nicer job.

Marv

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
MAav,yes white is probably most forgiving,but I athink its gonna be black.
My first paint job on a car was when i was 16 in 1967,and I painted my 61 tr3,bought for 100 bucks,sea foam turquise mist.It actually looked really nice,and I have had brief thoughts for doing it again.
Tom

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I would like to echo what Nick said. The ones I have seen have been body color with red primer. And moreover, many of the post 58s have frames that are a different color. I recently took apart a 58 that was powder blue with a cream colored frame. Anyways the body color underneath is very thin in places and the primer does not cover those hard to reach places either. I would paint it when it is apart because of the investment potential these old cars have now; you want it to last.
Steve

Britishautobody

Jedi Hopeful
You know trying to find exactly a "factory look" is somewhat difficult. At the factory some painters were more thorough then others, some could have cared less and were too lazy to bend they necks to try to put paint into the corners. I agree with what I have seen and painted personally = eng bay and ext same color. If you want a good sealing property from the elements be thorough, thin paint or a misting won't offer lasting protecting. Some might claim their car fit is so so and claim that was factory fit. But I am sure some cars were fit better then others by those that had more pride in their workmanship. So in the end pick what best works for you since everyone will have a "opinion" about your car. I bet you wont be pleasing them all, so by all means please yourself first.