• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR 3 Seatbelts

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

What type of mounting for lap belts is recommended: the snap-hooks with eye bolts or bolted directly to the body?

Is there a preferred location for attaching the lap belts to the car? Does anyone have pictures or measurements they could share?

Hopefully, the TR 3a will be started by the end of the week for the first time in 4 years.

Thanks.
Ron

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Here is a template and some descriptive text from a Triumph Service Bulletin in early 1962. Note that this applies to the post-TS60001 bodies.

I think attachment is more a matter of preference, inasmuch as some like the convenience of being able to remove the belts quickly for thorough vacuuming and cleaning. Whichever you choose, be sure to get proper belt-fastening hardware and washers, backing/reinforcement plates, etc.

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Andy.

My TR 3a is a post TS 60001

The service bulletin did not provide a dimension from the side trim to the centerline of the hole for the door side seat belt. I find is interesting that the attachment points are at different heights above the floor.

Do you route the seatbelts around the sides of the seat back or between the back and seat?

Ron

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
If the lap belts are webbing both sides, have the long leg of the belt on the door side (as with belts with a solid catch).

Then when removed, the buckle can be dropped down in front of the seat cushion.

If the door side is the shorter length, when the door is opened it drops down and chips the rocker paint.

Yes, go around the seats. Or the hinged back on the pass seat would be a problem.

Moss has a good range of belts including vintage buckles.

I used the triangular mounts bolted directly to the body. They take less space for taller people who like the seat fully back.

Viv.