• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seatbelts and sunvisors

DFOX

Freshman Member
Hi, everyone
I am almost finished restoring my 74.5 MGB and am trying to cut costs wherever possible. I'm wondering if anyone has any used seatbelts or sunvisors. I believe the original seatbelts are the retractable kind and are listing in the Moss Motors catalog for $229 each. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Debbie, Most original seat belts are not very safe. I agree that there are some around, but even if you find a set, they should be re webbed for safety. You are gambling on your most precious gift, your life. Buy a set of new belts. Check with Tony at www.theautoist.com as it's hard to beat his prices. He probably has a set of used sun visors for your car also. PJ

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I had the same problem but was able to pick up a set of near new static belts for a great price from another forum member. Installing the bolts gave me fits though as the threads were terrible. I am still looking for sun visors.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've put new static belts in the B here, got 'em thru Vickie Brit. We'll see... hoping I never have to test 'em "under fire," as the track record for most of the other bits I got hasn't been that good... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I have a pair of sunvisors that need restoring, but look serviceable. If anyone's interested, PM me.

I'd be interested in information about any three-point seatbelts from other cars that will fit my B without any modification to the car. I don't like the belts Moss sells.

R6MGS

Yoda
Even the sunvisors...You probably best to buy new ones, ever pair of used ones I've ever seen have foam that has broken down and gotten all saggy. I probably got a few used ones kickin around somewhere, but I wouldn't use them in a restored car, or anything better than a beater for that matter.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
For seatbelts https://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html The roadster belts are the ones you want. Very close or slightly longer than the stock belts and they work very well and just bolt right in.

Your best bet with visors are to buy new ones. Personaly I removed mine and have no plans on replacing them as for me they were worthless. Didn't work well to block the sun and severly cut down on forward vison and were positioned perfectly that when approaching an intersection it would block out the traffic signal. I found that a simple ball cap did a better job of blocking the sun and protecting my nose from the sun.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got used seatbelts - however, my daghter, the lawyer, doesn't really like for me to sell them due to age...they can be rewebbed (www.SnakeOyl.com) but its almost as much as a new set.As fo used sunvisors, I usually toss all of them...they're not that expensive so I'd suggest new.

Here's my personal philosophy about used parts: Go used wherever possible except on brightwork & upholstery (if at all feasible) because that's usually the defining thing people look at.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Has anyone removed the sunvisors outright? They don't seem very effective, nor do they want to stay in their retainers when driving down bumpy roads.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone removed the sunvisors outright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure - & the early cars came from the factory without them....just be real careful putting anything in the empty holes after ypu take them off lest you crack your windshield.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone removed the sunvisors outright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure - & the early cars came from the factory without them....just be real careful putting anything in the empty holes after ypu take them off lest you crack your windshield.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have new retainers, but am afraid to install them. Afraid to drill out the rivets lest I crack the windshield. I'm also afraid they won't do any good.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Ditto. I'm (I hope) getting my windshield replaced right now, and I'll likely just sell my new visor hardware on ebay or something. The ball cap idea is the way to go.

R.

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Ditto. I'm (I hope) getting my windshield replaced right now, and I'll likely just sell my new visor hardware on ebay or something. The ball cap idea is the way to go.

R.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see that there's a kindred soul out there. Trouble is, the wife kind of likes the one on the passenger side. The glass on my ride is in need of replacement, but I'm trying to postpone that until it's too terrible to see out of. If I have the scratch, January might be a good time for a job like that. Fob it off on someone else.

OP
D

DFOX

Freshman Member
Stewart, thanks for the link! I am ordering the seatbelts now from Wesco and I am going to forget about the sunvisors. I am having a new windshield installed next week. Thanks again!

paul74

I took my sun visors out 2 weeks ago, and promptly lost my hat. I'm still glad I took them out, and wear my hat a little tighter.
Paul

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I haven't had sunvisors in my current B since I got it...years ago. I am 6'3" and they were mostly in the way anyhow. I do have trouble keeping the hat on sometimes though...just don't look back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sun visors?? I wear the issue jungle camo "war bonnet" I was awarded back-when. And sunglasses. problem solved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif