• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Seatbelts, opinions

wingsandwheels

The little "press" button broke and jumped out of my seat belt latch today, and after 32 years its probably time to replace the belts.....

I am looking for any experiences with either the Securon or other replacement belts for the TR6. I'd also like to know if anyone has had their original Kangol's rebuilt and if so who did you use and how did it go.

Regards, W

G

Hello W.,
You are very much correct that it is time to replace your belts. I went with whatever Moss had for their lap/belt setup; works well, easy to install.

Glad you posted this info about belts. Be a good time to bring up the safety issues of "antique" seat belt material. Although the nylon webbing is probably the exact same as the original belt material, 30+ year old seat belts are a real safety concern. I have a friend that is a certified safety engineer and a walking encyclopedia of information. He told me long ago that extremely old seat belts are about as useful as no seat belts at all. He maintains that the belt will snap in an accident because of the ageing of the material. Something like 15 years is when belts start to break down. Especially in an open car with sunlight speeding up the breakdown process. So, for all you enthusiasts out there, just how old are your belts and have you considered changing them out? I am sure that there is someone out there that can refurbish the correct belts, otherwise, for the rest of us, the replacements are close enough. I wonder if a concours judge would take points off for aftermarket belts?

Good point, good luck and safe driving.

Bill

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi W:

I put a set of the Securon belts in my TR6 at the beginning of summer. They installed easily and look similar to the originals. They work great and I am very happy with them.

I bought them on EBay from someone who seems to always have them listed (can't think of his name right now). They were considerably cheaper than buying the same belts from one of the LBC suppliers.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Matt

martin_burtt

I also installed new Securon belts last spring. I agree with Matt, very quick and easy to install and they've worked great all summer.

Highly recomended.

Martin

WidespreadPanic

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I also installed new Securon belts last spring. I agree with Matt, very quick and easy to install and they've worked great all summer.

Highly recomended.Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

I also bought the Securon's from this guy on Ebay (his ebay Id is bluechips2001). Got them for about 65% of what Moss sells them for. Install easily, look good, feel safe.

Linky to current Securon seatbelt auction

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I would love a step-by-step on how best to install Securon belts. I have a set of inertial reel belts with a shoulder belt, but the TR250 didn't orininally come with belts, so I'm at a loss as to where to drill through the floor, etc.

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
I also bought the Securon's from this guy on Ebay. They installed ok and worked, well. I had them in for about two years. Then the passengers side buckle got very stiff so I sprayed some silicon in it. Then the push button got stuck in the open position so the belt would not latch. We were running late for a road trip and in frustration of trying to get the thing to latch I broke the push to release button. So I put my belt through her belt to at least look leagal for the trip. So far, bluechips2001 does not have any replacement buckles and refered me to the Securon www who does not sell parts and a single unit is about 75 Pounds + 40 Pounds for out side Brittain so it looks like I'll have to buy another set from bluechips2001. On the other hand I may need another one and I'll have a spare.
I'm thinking about going to a cheaper non retractable set up. Most of the time the retractor does not retract when I get out so the buckle flips out and hits the side of the car posible dinging the paint and when it does retract it gets draged back around the seat and is a pain to fish it out. I'd like to find a US dealer that sells only one belt.

The_Ken

Freshman Member
[ QUOTE ]
I would love a step-by-step on how best to install Securon belts. I have a set of inertial reel belts with a shoulder belt, but the TR250 didn't orininally come with belts, so I'm at a loss as to where to drill through the floor, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 250 had the bolts in the factory holes, but no belts. Shoulder was anchored to the wheel arch, seat belt was to bolts on either side of the seat into the floor. 1968 I think was the first year belts were required by govt. Take a look from under the car and you should be able to see them. I bought new belts at Sears, $7.95 each. Don't know why I remember that. I was a 17 yo punk then, and I know I didn't have the smarts to start drilling holes.