• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Throttle stuck wide open on the way home tonight

G

Comming back from a church function doing about 65 and the throttle stuck wide open after accelerating. I turned the key off and fiddled w/ the pedal; lit it back off and it was still stuck. Did that a few times and finally killed it again and coasted to a turn-off by a street light.

I couldn't see anything. I used my phone for light ony to discover the throttle return spring is completley gone. I'm in the middle of nowhere in front of some rental units that can best be decribed as having questionable inhabitants.

I pulled the return spring off of the clutch and put in on the Weber. One of said inhabitants came out to see if he could render assistance. He was pretty cool. We talked a bit, thanked him for checking on me, told him God loves you and split.

The throttle is a little stiff but there is NO way it'll stick now !!! I'll put a better spring on it tommorrow.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Glad you made it home safely, Kelly.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Comming back from a church function doing about 65 and the throttle stuck wide open after accelerating.

Do you tithe? If you don't you might want to reconsider :angel: :whistle: :jester:

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've had that happen and it's a scary feeling to have a runaway engine. My Dad had his springs let go on his 59 BE in traffic. He kept having to turn the switch on and off until he made it to a tractor shop and sourced a spring. That was back in the early 60's.

I'm very glad you found the problem and made it home safe.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I had the same thing happen to my Weber.
Now there are 2 springs, one of them is screwed to the chassis rail and spiraled
around the linkage, it can not come off.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only takes one time to learn to keep a spare spring in th' glovebox.

Had it happen with the Elan. What a handful THAT was.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The next story will be about the broken throttle cable as a result of the strong spring on the DGV :smile: Back when I had a hot rod pinto I had the spring break on its version of the DGV (Holley 5200) but the cop didn't buy a word of it :wink:

xbimmer

I had the same thing happen back in 1970 with a Opel GT....in Asheville. The linkage fell apart........I had a coat hanger. Wrapped it on the throttle and ran it through the driver's window.....got me home in no time. Always happens in the dead of night in the most questionable neighborhoods.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's illadvised to operate a Lucas equipped vehicle in questionable neighborhoods, especially at night. :nonod:

OP
G

JPSmit said:
kellysguy said:
Comming back from a church function doing about 65 and the throttle stuck wide open after accelerating.

Do you tithe? If you don't you might want to reconsider :angel: :whistle: :jester:

LOL! ALWAYS !!!

I did an experiment for a year to see how my life would change if I gave my 10% everytime I went.

I went from:

Being employed to owning my own business making more $$$ than I ever have in my life.

Renting a little apartment on the edge of town to owning a new home on four acres that was paid for.

Had a CRAZY girlfriend and went from her to my sweet perfect and beautiful wife.

So, yes I tithe on every increase.

( I say all of this only to boast in God's goodness that others may be blessed more than I.)

AND I DON'T DESERVE ANY OF IT !!!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Amen to that :cheers:

jfslenes

Guess the question is, it's only a spridget, a stuck throttle just keeps you on your toes.

Best stuck throttle story I've seen was Bill Swope in a Lola CanAm with a 365 Chev V8 topped with 4 webbers on a VERY short track with the lound pedal stuck at somewhere North of 100 MPH approaching a 90 degree square turn. Fortunately, Bill's experience lead quickly to the kill switch.

Jeeze, cars are fun! Glad your safe.

OP
G

Yeah, it's a built in response. I'm an A.S.E Master Tech and I had stuff like that happen PLENTY. Better that it happen with me than a customer.

It really bugs me that Trooper and family died in the stuck pedal/ floormat Toyota story a week or so ago.

You would think he'd try something. I know that car is throttle and shift-by-wire, maybe there is some weird electric cutout that won't allow you to kill the engine or shift into neutral when at speed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When something like that happens the usual response is panic and cramming the binders... training and experience aren't part of the American requirement for issuing a license, unfortunately.