• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 The yellow TR6 fan on a TR3?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Anybody done this? I've heard that it can be installed backwards to allow for clearance and the blade tilt dosn't affect quantity of air moved that much. I've also heard that the fan can be installed the right way round if the rad is moved forward slightly. Anyone done this?

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Karl, I've put the TRF yellow fan on my '59, "backward", and it seems to work fine. I've had no issues on overheating on my otherwise bone stock system, even on 100º days. I did use the TRF mounting kit, as well. From what I remember, the fan won't fit the other way, it's too close to the cross-brace.
Hope that helps!

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I have done it to a couple of TR3s also. One has been on for over 20 years, and still runs OK. It is a good mod.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Karl, a friend with a TR3A move the radiator forward 1 inch during restoration and the fan cleared. I've also heard that it is affective if mounted backwards.
Bob

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Ed,

I have removed the stock fan from under neath the car, but it is a difficult. As I recall there is only enough room to use an open end wrench and you have to loosen all the bolts, slide the fan forward to clear the crank bolt, then drop the fan down and out. I don't think you could mount the "yellow" fan with out removing the cowl and radiator. You will need a socket to tighten the mounting bolts. I don't see how you could do that unless your radiator has the crank hole in it. Even then it still might not give you access to the mounting bolt heads.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
When the yellow fan is mounted backwards is it necessary to use the balance piece and locking plate assembly or leave it out? Someone posted on another site that they installed two washers under each of the four fan bolts (inbetween the hub extension and the fan)to bring the fan closer to the rad.Im thinking there wouldnt be much threaded bolt left to go into the hub extension if doing this. What have others done to fasten the the yellow fan to the extension hub.....just use the four bolts with lock washers?

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hello, Karl don't know if this pic will help you; here's what I did a year and a half ago:

IMG_0172.jpg

I used the standard TRF yellow fan mounting kit..... at the same time, I changed the motor mounts; didn't make much difference....

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Aloha back at ya Dave,
Thanks for the reply...confirmed what I figured would be the situation. Hopefully I can get through this season without having to take action and then pull everything apart next winter. I have a back up radiator that I will have recored and change that at the same time. Also rebuild the leaky steering box. Now isn't that all something to look forward to.

My apologies to karls59TR. Didn't mean to infringe on your post.

wifegonnakillme

Jedi Hopeful
Hey Ed,

I have another string on the rad fan - if you are worried about overheating, you can slip in an aux pusher fan cheaply and easily by just removing the front grill.

I put a 12" in last weekend - works great. I used the plastic mounting hardware that comes with it. Others have suggested it is better to use a welded connection - I may switch should the plastic mount fail - but they seemed pretty sturdy to me and will certainly outlast my older radiator,

Cheers,
Kerry

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I'm glad this thread is here. I'm probably gonna do this mod when I get to it on the TR2 rebuild. My main reason is that I worry about the integrity of the old metal fan. I've seen enough pics, and heard enough stories about metal blades flying throught the bonnett, that I worry about that on my car. really, really hot days don't last around here. And TRs tend to hold thier own, but improving the cooling system would just mean I could push it a bit further. hehehehe.