• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

uh-oh... what's it mean when the yellow idiot,,,

RickB

Yoda
Light starts coming on & gets brighter as you rev the engine?

I did drive home with a bit more gusto than usual yesterday, but no lights were coming on during the trip. The engine temp was right at 185F the whole time.

After getting off the freeway I stopped at the auto parts place to see if I could pick up a few more bullet connectors there (my True Value has a better selection).

When I got back in the car & took off the yellow light started coming on. It would go off on deceleration, on for acceleration.

Oil pump bad? What's wrong with my baby? :cry:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
We can assume you have checked the oil.
and there are is no different noise from engine, as in valve train clatter or rod knock?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yes, checked the oil.
I do regular changes, using Valvoline VR1.
Engine still sounds very good.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I will be honest, don't know alot about these little cars yet, but I would check:
1. Is the light for Oil pressure and not generator (sorry had to ask)
2. I assume they have a electric oil pressure switch. it could be bad.
Wiring could be bad.
Install a mechanical gauge on it and check reading.
The mechanical gauge test will tell you if you have major problems such as oil pump failure. My thinking is head would be starving for oil and making noise at rockers if oil pump not pumping oil.

oil filter spin on? I have heard they can clog up and cause oil pressure problems also

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Yes, it is a spin on filter and was replaced fairly recently.
Hmmm.. mechanical oil gauge? Like what?

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
off on deceleration? I have no idea what the yellow light is for since my car is more than 10 years older and only has one red light for the generator and one red light for oil pressure.

Yellow might be a 'check engine' light?

Vaccum leak perhaps? Does it idle worse now than before?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
that wire is connected to an electric oil pressure sensor

Morris

Yoda
When those electric oil pressure sensors start to go bad, they can sometimes make the idiot light come on. You should be able to pick up a new one for less than $10.00.

For Godsakes don't drive it until you know what's up.

Ps. I switched my oil light with my alternator light. That bright red light is a lot more scary than the pleasant amber light. I wanted †o be sure that if my wife were driving the car and the oil light came one, she would know that red means STOP!!!!

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Oil pressure typically drops as engine speed drops. So typically when the engine is fully warmed up and then speed drops to idle you'll see your lowest oil pressure.

Agree with earlier posts that a sensor could be bad.
Also agree that you need to be certain that this yellow light is connected to oil sensor & not to alternator/generator.

Check oil pressure with a mechanical guage (one that feeds an oil line to the guage).
Check that alt/gen is charging properly.

If your oil level is full, & there are no knocking or unusual tapping noises then your oil pressure is probably OK. BUT there is always the chance that your pump is worn & showing signs of wear via inadequate pressure. Catch it now & you'll prevent a BIG bill later! :cry:

Remember, they are only "idiot lights" IF you ignore them! :wall:

Please let us all know what your investigations discover!

"Cheers!" :cheers:
-Bear-

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Well I don't know if it was related or not but today I did an oil change and filter change. Afterwards I started it up and ran it for a while, the light came on for a little bit right when starting up and then went out and stayed out.

Yes, the light is definitely connected to the oil pressure sensor and the red light is definitely hooked up to the alternator.

I feel like maybe I've dodged a bullet. :cheers:

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I ran it and warmed it up good and then looked inside the valve cover with a flashlight. At idle I see oil coming up, revving I see more oil coming up into the valve cover. I think it's OK - maybe I'll get a new oil sensor anyway.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Good to hear! :thumbsup:

When you go to install the new sensor, I'd still suggest that you temporarily hook up a mechanical oil pressure guage to get an accurate pressure reading. That way you'll KNOW what sort of pressure she is putting out.

I'm not a huge fan of "Idiot" lights, as they tend to be inaccurate, and provide so very little information. Usually too late...

One of my BugEyes developed an oil leak at the filter mount. I only discovered it by noticing that my oil pressure was lower than usual when I came to a stop at a traffic light. I pulled over immediately, shut off the engine, and opened the bonnet. I immediately saw a puddle of oil on the ground below the oil filter! When I pulled the dipstick it only showed a tiny bit of oil showing on the very tip of the stick! "YIKES!" :shocked: I walked to a nearby gas station & bought a few quarts of oil, and after "topping off" I discovered that I had been down to less than 1 quart left in the pan!! I fixed the leak, started her up, and she ran fine. So I DEFINITELY dodged a bullet on that one!
grin.gif
Had it been just an "idiot" light I fear that I might not have notice the oil pressure loss until the engine had started making strange and expensive noises!

That's my 2 cents...

-Bear- :cheers:

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I like that one, I might do that.
That makes me think though - how does the MGB electric oil pressure sensor and gauge work? There's an oil line that goes to the sensor and the gauge has a wire that plugs into it. Why couldn't one of these be used in a Midget?

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
I've often thought about installing a BUZZER that is triggered by an "Idiot Light" sensor to supplement my oil pressure guage. That way, whenever the pressure gets low I'll be instantly notified by the "BUZZZZ" and know to check my pressure reading.

Same thought for the water and/or oil temp.... (using different buzzers and/or bells)

I got this idea from a Penske rental truck that I rented some time ago...
When the diesel fuel level drops below a certain level (1/4 tank, if I remember correctly) a warning light comes on. Then when it drops below a lower level (1/8 tank, if I remember correctly) a buzzer is activated. Pretty easy to ignore the warning light, but IMPOSSIBLE to ignore that annoying buzzer! Trust me, you instantly start looking for the nearest source of diesel fuel, regardless of cost/gal!!

Just a thought....

Might save an engine (and a few $$) in the long run!

(I'd also probably install a "Buzz Kill" switch to shut off the buzzers & bells after they've sounded so that I can then listen for any strange engine noises as I limp the car to the shoulder or off the highway.)

"Cheers!" :cheers:

-Bear-

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
What's it mean when the yellow light and the red light stay on bright?

Ok, I know...

I took my alternator in and they tested it, yup it's gone buh-by.

They ordered a new one and it will be here tomorrow.
Gotta love the lifetime guarantee :laugh:

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I installed the new alternator, no more lights on after starting the car. Yay! :wink:
I went ahead and installed another relay, this one for the heater fan. WOW air really moves through those vents now!!! :laugh: