• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Primrose Yellow / Black with yellow upholstery

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
At the time of Rich Chrysler's tragic passing he was restoring a very early 100-Six which was to be in an authentic original colour scheme of Primrose Yellow with Black Coves with a Yellow interior. Very few people have ever seen an original Healey in these colours. I don't think even Rich had.

The unusual feature was the yellow interior. Cars that were all primrose yellow came with black interiors, only the yellow/black cars had the yellow leather interiors. The car Rich was restoring was (is?) going to have a black hard top which completes a pretty stunning colour combination.

I have never seen a car in this colour scheme but there is a fully restored example, exactly like this now for sale in Finland. It appears to be an excellant restoration although some minor details are not correct. Well for one thing it has triple carbs, but thats Ok!

See it here:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C330143

Country flag
Didn't think I'd like the look but its not bad. Interior is a little loud for me but overall pretty striking. I'm not going to be doing one like it but something to think about.

Marv

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Not bad, but wouldn't be my first choice, although paint is probably the most subjective of tastes. I do like a darker cove on the bottom, with a lighter color on top. Always liked the Coronet Cream color for Healeys. The contrasting piping on earlier Healey seats was a nice feature (as in the yellow/black mentioned here). Too bad it didn't carry over to the later Healeys. two beauties 2.JPG

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Wouldn't be my first choice either but looks very nice. The yellow is a subdued yellow so doesn't jump out at you. But how do you like that price, 47000 euros or over $60,000 US !!!

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Wouldn't be my first choice either but looks very nice. The yellow is a subdued yellow so doesn't jump out at you. But how do you like that price, 47000 euros or over $60,000 US !!!

Hello, the price is 47000 GBP this is with the current changing rate $ 73.060 US...not a really big deal for a 100/6. But I also like the first Healeys

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Patrick - thanks for the info for HeritageTrim. I didn't know Tony had so many detailed photos on Healey Trim.
jim:driving:

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Patrick.

I went through the website and got to the BN4. It shows parchment trim with green edging. That is not Primrose Yellow. In fact it isn't 'parchment' either, the correct name for it is 'Grey'

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick.

I went through the website and got to the BN4. It shows parchment trim with green edging. That is not Primrose Yellow. In fact it isn't 'parchment' either, the correct name for it is 'Grey'
Wrong car Derek. Go the Gallery section and scroll though to the 5th page. "BN4 100-6 Longbridge". suede green, custom yellow piping. It's the yellow car. The car before the BN4 with parchment with dark green piping.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I guess the only draw back to this color combination is.....you really have to watch what color clothes you have on before you get in it! Imagine sporting a red shirt and blue jeans while sitting in that Healey......Easter eggs come to mind! Other then that, it's a interesting color combo.

Last edited:

Taulle

Freshman Member
Country flag
I was just about to paint my 1960 BT7 primrose and black. Not the original colour; but it was repainted in the early 70’s with that scheme and I have always preferred it to Healey Blue. There are tons of Healey’s with black interiors and the last time I owned a vehicle with any thing but black was a 76 ford pickup.

So I have wanted to find a sample of what “yellow” was in 1960. I am thinking it was a cream yellow. The link to the Finland car is gone now.

Does any anybody have a picture that shows the “yellow” shade? I am considering a custom dye and full leather interior.

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have seen an example of one since I stopped updating the website, unfortunately I can’t find the photo or reference to where I saw it. My memory says it is definitely a yellow colour rather than a creamy colour. Difficult to explain but when you see it you think yellow not creamy yellow. Heritage show a photo of their colour which does appear a bit creamy but I think that might be the lighting in the photo. Probably worth contacting them. John Skinner Manufacturing in the UK are very knowledgeable and have a large selection of leather colours.

Taulle

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks DerekJ. I have been in touch with Tony at Heritage and Jonathan at John-Skinner. They both are pointing me to colours like marigold, parchment, and biscuit. Jonathon did have a leather sample of “primrose”. I was not a fan of the colour; but, it might be close given your description.

Chauncey at ahexp showed me 1958 pictures of his primrose/black with a yellow interior. I could not make out the interior colour very good. My idea of what would look nice would be RGB #ffffcc. This is what I would call cream, corn field, pale primrose. My wife says I am colour blind. I am not sure if your monitor and my monitor are colour matched; but does this RGB look close?

https://www.colorhexa.com/ffffcc

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That looks a little too pale and lemony to me. I think Skinners colour is probably correct. It should be fairly similar to the tone and hue of the paint itself otherwise it will clash. You have to accept that it is a pretty bold statement you will be making!

Taulle

Freshman Member
Country flag
DerekJ, yeah it might be bold; but, given the state of the world today why not? I agree with you that colour must be very close to the body colour or it will clash. The colour of my car is pale primrose/black. There is no way to match RGB to paint. This is a close match to what my car was (right now it is bare metal)
https://www.collectioncar.com/detailed.php?ad=72502&category_id=1&lang=en

I need to find a tannery in the UK to supply custom dye hides for John-Skinner.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My next Healey project may be a Primrose Yellow Longbridge 100-6. Based on pictures, I really like the color, and it would be a change from the usual red and blue Healeys. I have the frame and structure of the car with the VIN tag attached (BN-4-LO/35515), most body panels, and lots of worn parts. So who knows. The heritage certificate verifies the original exterior color as Primrose Yellow and the trim (interior) and hood (top) as black. It was imported at Los Angeles.

It needs a complete restoration and lots of new parts, so it does not make much sense financially to restore it. I have another Longbridge BN4, originally white, in similar or worse condition. Both served as parts sources for the red with black coves Longbridge car that finally was finished this winter. Not sure why all these Longbridge cars followed me home, but I do appreciate them. Stronger interest and prices for these early 100-6 cars would help provide incentive to go ahead with these projects.